Do you stay logged in or do you log out?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I am going to be AFK for extended times, I log out. It clears out the local chat log and IM chats (I save all), reduces the usage of my GPU, and wear and tear on my computer & monitor.  It also prevents possible SL issues when the grid goes wonky, or the inventory system. Stops capping of messages. All that good stuff. 

I also turn off my TV when I am not watching it. Power down the PC when I am not using it.  There is a finite lifespan to the screens, hard drives, etc..  *shrugs*

I am thrifty that way. Cheap if you think. Either way, my PCs tend the last longer than my friend's do. 😜

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Qi charging is NOT beamed power, it's near-field inductive coupling, not unlike the inductive "burners" on glass top electric stoves, or the magnetic induction science demonstration kits you could buy for $5 at American Science and Surplus when I was young. I had a little coil of wire connected to a tiny light bulb that would glow when you placed the coil on top of a cardboard box. It was magic I understood at the age of 10. Like your phone charger, I couldn't lift the coil more than 1/4" before the light went out. I certainly couldn't place my hand between the coils and you can't either.

I wasn't saying it was, I was saying it was wireless power and I love it because it is so convenient and does away with nasty cables.   So obviously I would love beamed power even more if it was possible.  Sorry if I caused confusion.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

5 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Sorry if I caused confusion.

You should be proud of causing confusion Gabriele, even though that's my specialty.

I like wireless charging so much I'll be limiting my choice of new car to only those that have it. I also want the flying car the world promised my father, but never delivered. But I only want if I'm the only one to get it. I don't want to be crashing into the rest of you while out for a Sunday barnstorm.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Markham Weatherwax said:

If I am going to be AFK for extended times, I log out. It clears out the local chat log and IM chats (I save all), reduces the usage of my GPU, and wear and tear on my computer & monitor.  It also prevents possible SL issues when the grid goes wonky, or the inventory system. Stops capping of messages. All that good stuff. 

I also turn off my TV when I am not watching it. Power down the PC when I am not using it.  There is a finite lifespan to the screens, hard drives, etc..  *shrugs*

I am thrifty that way. Cheap if you think. Either way, my PCs tend the last longer than my friend's do. 😜

Ditto.

• Like 1

I'd happily leave my avi logged in when I go to bed, and indeed used to, all the time.

I've discovered, however, that I can't trust her not to seriously misbehave when I'm not around.

Once, I returned to my computer in the morning to learn that my avi had bought a house while I was sleeping. NOT a cheap one either. We had words about that you can believe.

On another morning, I found her flaked out in bed, with an opened box of prophylactics on the side table. I suppose I should be grateful that she was practicing safe . . . whatever it was that she was practicing.

And finally, just last week, I sat down to my computer with my morning coffee and was greeted by the sight of piles of charred furniture in my living room, and my avatar with a butter-wouldn't-melt-in-her-mouth look on her face. "I have no idea what happened!" Uh huh. Right.

I strongly suspect a late night of partying with a certain nefarious firestarter.

Yeah. I not only log off each night now; I also change the password.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In the grand schema of things, not really.  At least not IMO.

Must be nice to be able to say that and mean it. Many of us will never have that privilege. I know I won't. 

That's not an attack on you Lil. It's just disappointing when others can be so callous without ever realizing that is what they are doing.

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Must be nice to be able to say that and mean it. Many of us will never have that privilege. I know I won't. 

That's not an attack on you Lil. It's just disappointing when others can be so callous without ever realizing that is what they are doing.

It is really more like this.  In any given month, my electric bill is roughly $250 and so while $1.50 per day would shave about $45 per month off of that, I wouldn't end up saving it up to get to that $540 per year.  It would get eaten up by other stuff and so I'd never consciously notice the savings.  Daily savings, and typically monthly ones like that, in and of themselves just sound so tiny.  While the yearly amount sounds larger, it is irrelevant in my mind unless I actually saved it up and truly saw the yearly amount. 

Now, when I calculate the percentage of that $45 to the monthly $250, that sounds like more of a savings in my mind.  I guess my brain just looks at numbers funny.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is really more like this.  In any given month, my electric bill is roughly $250 and so while $1.50 per day would shave about $45 per month off of that, I wouldn't end up saving it up to get to that $540 per year.  It would get eaten up by other stuff and so I'd never consciously notice the savings.  Daily savings, and typically monthly ones like that, in and of themselves just sound so tiny.  While the yearly amount sounds larger, it is irrelevant in my mind unless I actually saved it up and truly saw the yearly amount. 

Now, when I calculate the percentage of that $45 to the monthly $250, that sounds like more of a savings in my mind.  I guess my brain just looks at numbers funny.

Makes sense.

These days, most people have fallen into the [bad] habit of looking at things short term rather than long term. I'm just not one of them. I've always tended to look at things in the long term.

On the other hand, there is no way I could ever afford a $250 a month electric bill. Mine runs, on average, around $100 a month and even that is pushing it.

On 10/8/2019 at 12:11 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I pulled my electric rates and found the wattage info for our computers and monitors (my husband and I), and then did the calcs. If we shut them down each evening, between the two of us we would save approx. $1.50 per day.  That is for 2 fairly beefy computers and 4 monitors.

I put the computer in sleep mode each evening and the monitors go off automatically after 10 min of no activity.  That's good enough for me.

A sleeping computer shouldn’t use much more power than one that’s been shut down, maybe a watt or less.. Shutting them down instead of putting them to sleep should save you closer to $1.50 a year than a day. You’re okay putting them to sleep.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon

On 10/6/2019 at 11:43 AM, Mollymews said:

this is me. I often forget to logoff when on my parcel.  Not just SL, also whole bunches of other programs which are still running

Just be glad I haven't had the energy lately to take that time to shove you out the door and into the pond. :P

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2019 at 3:50 AM, Gabriele Graves said:

Some people always log out when they go AFK for an extended period of time such as going to bed or leaving their home, etc.  Some people always stay logged in for as long as possible because they like the idea of a persistent inworld presence.  There are also people who do a bit of both.

I am in this last category, mostly I log out but sometimes I forget and stay logged in for many hours when I am sleeping, out at work, shopping, etc.  The only odd part is that I never do this at events or at a party, etc.  I only forget when I am on my land but my avatar is just usually left where ever I was and with whatever I am wearing.

So I am curious about what others do and why? Do you put your avatar to bed, leave it in a public place or do something incredibly bizarre with it? It doesn't matter this is the topic to post it in - with pictures if you feel like it.

I tend to leave my avatar logged on because it has been so hard to log back in. I suppose you could say "messages don't cap" then but I think the "messages cap" thing is largely overblown, if you link your account to e-mail, the messages go in e-mail. But I suppose you can miss some.

I would find it strange to "put my avatar" to bed as he doesn't need sleep. What I will do is put him with one of those Jinx snow leopards or other items that enable you to rest alongside an animal or look like you're reading a newspaper.

• Thanks 1

I log off at night, switch off the computer and also the router.  During the day I sometimes stay logged on and AFK, mainly for the music, but normally I 'sleep' my PC if it's for an hour or two or switch it right off if it's for longer or if I'm going out. 

Edited by Conifer Dada

On 10/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, Lyssa Greymoon said:

A sleeping computer shouldn’t use much more power than one that’s been shut down, maybe a watt or less.. Shutting them down instead of putting them to sleep should save you closer to $1.50 a year than a day. You’re okay putting them to sleep.

I tend to "sleep" my PC most of the time but I make sure to shut it down and re-start at least once a week, otherwise it starts going wonky. My router, I don't even remember the last time that was restarted. Months ago probably. I only re-start that if I'm having connection issues. I turn it off if we're having a local thunderstorm, which happens maybe once a year.

I log out of SL when I'm done but if I'm only going AFK for a while (less than an hour) and planning to come back, I just set myself to Unavailable and stay logged in. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.