Special needs user

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yeah, but you are not as imaginative as I am nefarious.

That's probably pretty accurate, my imagination tends to be autonomous, I have very little control over it. We chat in passing and that's about the extent of our involvement, until it gets me in trouble and then everyone is all like "Tari (except they use my real name), you can't blame your imagination, it's not a person, it's not alive, it's not its own entity". To which I usually say "tell her that"...

• Like 1

As I detailed in the "Complexity" thread, I rarely click "Haha" and so do not expose myself to the appearance of scorn laughing. It's pretty rare that I might feel scorn for a post or poster. When I do feel scorn, I walk away or directly address the scorn-worthy behavior. Addressing that kind of behavior with actual scorn seems counterproductive. There are more effective methods.

I am also often deliberately absurd and have received a lot of "Haha"s.  I've interpreted a very few of those as scorn, for they were given to serious posts and I had reason to believe (via posting history) the grantor was not fond of my reasoning. I wouldn't file an AR for scorn laughter myself, I have filed only one (non spam) AR in my many years here. I can, however, understand others, withering under a barrage of it, desiring relief.

• Like 2

Being the person accused of the alleged “scorn laughing” I can only say my use of each of the five emojis provided to us to respond to posts covers a plethora of emotions and summing all of them up in one choice is often difficult and frequently misconstrued.

Scorn is absolutely not the emotion I’m attempting to convey, and since I’m the only person privy to my emotions, unless I specifically use actual words to say what exact emotion I’m feeling that could be displayed through laughter, and there are many, no one else can really be certain, can they?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

Sometimes it might be better in the long-run to just not react at all to some people, especially if you have concerns about their motives. 

Agreed. Which is why I do not react or respond to that person. Never again. That's one trap I won't ever fall into again. No matter how hard that person tries to goad me.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

It went out of use when I was in my late teens early 20s and I Just turned 60 Monday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY   SELENE  !!!!  KNOW THAT MANY BLESSINGS OF LOVE ,JOY, ABUNDANCE OF EVERYTHING WONDERFUL AND LOVE WILL ALWAY BE YOURS AND THAT  BLESSINGS AND FAVOR WILL BE UPON YOU !!!  HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!! MANY MANY MANY HUGS

• Like 1

Just reading all of this ,,,,

, hugs to every one ,,,, 

my smile clicks are never scornfull,,,,

the icons do create a lot of confusion especially when a thread becomes many different threads &views in one thread .

How did this go from asking advice for a person  to all of this ????

i  think everyone agrees name calling is never ok

i guess it comes down to HOW  certain words  could be used  example  in england the word they use for a cigerette or smoke is considered a derogotory word  about a type of sex orentation  

The R word used to describe a disability was a medical term that  was then turned to a slang word so once again  the dynamics ,,

I was watching the jersey shore summer vacation ,,, and well we could teach the children all day long what is right but media  tells them different and in a kid mind once they turn legal age they can do what ever  ,,,,,

all a parent can do is  teach  them the best they can and about consequences of the behavior words etc

we all have loving hearts and souls

the writings may get heated  but at the end of the day

i know we all love each other and hold each other in one another hearts ,,

,,  let us hear each other with love kindness and compassion,,,, hugs hugs hugs to  every onegiphy.gifdolly.gif.7bf32c9491afc968b37c1c0ffa93c419.gifimageproxy.php?img=&key=a03a54f708f2dfe5

Edited by roseelvira
spelling the usual
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, roseelvira said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY   SELENE  !!!!  KNOW THAT MANY BLESSINGS OF LOVE ,JOY, ABUNDANCE OF EVERYTHING WONDERFUL AND LOVE WILL ALWAY BE YOURS AND THAT  BLESSINGS AND FAVOR WILL BE UPON YOU !!!  HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!! MANY MANY MANY HUGS

Thank you Rose. You are as sweet as your name. *hug*

• Like 1

Frankly how a particular reaction is used really should not matter much outside of far more serious issues being present (such as stalking) - if they're going to be moderated for tone, they need to be removed.

It goes right up with that oh so lovely enforced politeness/positivity that some seem to enjoy/want more of.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 5

On 9/9/2019 at 10:31 PM, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Hello

I'm not sure where to go with this. I have been talking to a person who I think is retarded (yes, I know, I'm not supposed to use that word). He is spending a lot of money in sl on land, and giving other people money. 

I don't want to get him booted from sl, but I have no other idea how to protect him. Any advise is appreciated.

Thank you for caring. Legally, possible interventions may be limited; but good on you for taking up the concern.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This idea of “scorn” laughter seems to me, was strongest argued by Phil. I don’t buy into it, personally. I have no idea of someone’s intent when they react. That being said, “confused” seems more like “scorn” to me than laughter does.

Me being confused by something posted is definitely way different than being scornful to/about the comments.  I can't say as I've ever thought anyone's confused reaction was in scorn, nor have I ever felt that any of the confused reactions to my posts were meant scornfully, but rather that had I truly confused some people.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Me being confused by something posted is definitely way different than being scornful to/about the comments.  I can't say as I've ever thought anyone's confused reaction was in scorn, nor have I ever felt that any of the confused reactions to my posts were meant scornfully, but rather that had I truly confused some people.

What’s your stance on the interpretation of laughter as “scorn”?

35 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What’s your stance on the interpretation of laughter as “scorn”?

Oh there definitely are times when it is used scornfully.  I'll even admit to using it that way myself -- or actually more along the lines of "OMG, are you kidding?  You must be off your rocker a bit with that statement".  If LL would give me more varied reaction icons, then people wouldn't have to guess.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This idea of “scorn” laughter seems to me, was strongest argued by Phil. I don’t buy into it, personally. I have no idea of someone’s intent when they react. That being said, “confused” seems more like “scorn” to me than laughter does.

How you figure? Seems more like a wtf kind of reaction to me.

• Like 1

If I've been arguing with someone and we never resolved the issues, and they begin repeatedly laughing at my posts even though they are totally serious posts with no jokes contained within, I can only deduce they suddenly imagine I've developed some sort of Robin Williams sense of humor they are now immensely appreciating, or that they are attempting to affect me in some sort of negative way.  No way to ascertain for certain what they're doing, but it's an attempt to affect me somehow, and not in a positive way -- it feels like a kind of minor griefing or perhaps goading. Of course the meaning might just be that they recently smoked way too much green stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.