Special needs user

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sometimes, those who disagree assume the other is goading.

That makes sense. However I can say I was not attempting to goad anyone. I found the convo with Amina interesting throughout the thread and was just continuing it with her.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Strangely, I find myself trying to sincerely understand the conservative view on many matters of late. Perhaps at first it was to 'know the enemy' so I could defend my own beliefs better. I have discovered however that on a few occasions they actually have a point, or at the very least I understand their defenses and why they believe as they do (I am more sympathetic for what they're trying to protect, their need to feel safe).

At first I thought the accusations toward someone who is labeled as doing "virtue signalling", or being a "white knight" (in the pejorative ways these can be used) did not exist, and that they were simply created by the far-right.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered so-called progressives exhibiting these characteristics and making a mess of things -- actually diminishing the progressive side by their actions.

Anyway, all this is mainly to say that I really do wonder if some of those I've encountered who were so demonized by those on a forum for using the wrong words, were actually treated in offensive ways.  I think it does/can happen.  And then we have to deal with the result..

I consider myself an independent, probably because if I got into a conversation with a conservative or a liberal, it wouldn't be long before I was opposing them. It's what I do. Any inordinately complex issue will ultimately boil down to simple and inadequate arguments because most us of haven't the tools or the tolerance to handle complexity. We also want to protect our beliefs, even though (or because!) we may have obtained them through sheer ignorance. It's what we do.

I like to dig deeper. I'd rather find those beliefs I've based on ignorance before anyone else does, or before I harm myself or others in defense of them.

Regarding the red text above and discussions like this, I've relayed Walt Kelly's observation in the past...
image.png.c0c7d96fbdf42acfe00e061889528587.png

I've always read the first line as "It is hard talkin' on this stuff." to generalize the observation past its Earth Day roots.

Pogo's a wise old 'Possum.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

* Also, if you keep scorn laughing my posts I'll eventually report you. I discovered the other week that repeatedly scorn laughing posters is a type of harassment and a reportable offense.

I am truly interesting in knowing how does one prove that the other person was scornfully laughing as opposed to truly laughing?  I think all kinds of stuff around this place is hilarious, but I'm sure many others do not see the same humor in things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I am truly interesting in knowing how does one prove that the other person was scornfully laughing as opposed to truly laughing?  I think all kinds of stuff around this place is hilarious, but I'm sure many others do not see the same humor in things.

Though I'm sure I misread a few, I certainly see what I believe are scorn laughs. There's no need to prove this, you only need to get the authorities to share your suspicion.

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I wonder how many of my genuine laugh at the post because it struck me as funny laughs have been misconstrued as scorn. I can't help it I have a strange sense of humor. :(

Same here.  When I do use it as a reaction, it is because something about the post tickled me and made me laugh.  If I don't know anything about the poster, or if it's someone I think would be likely to take it the wrong way, I often will skip using the laugh reaction.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, moirakathleen said:

Same here.  When I do use it as a reaction, it is because something about the post tickled me and made me laugh.  If I don't know anything about the poster, or if it's someone I think would be likely to take it the wrong way, I often will skip using the laugh reaction.

I do the same thing. And sometimes I think the person is being deliberately absurd so that people will laugh. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to oblige. Especially since I know there is at least one person that would like to see me gone from SL and the forum. Permanently. :S

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I rarely react to posts at all, for this very reason, it doesn't matter WHAT reaction I have, I just don't unless I can tell, with as much certainty as I could reasonably have, that at least the person I am reacting to isn't going to flip their lid at me like a deranged meth-head on bath salts. It's also why I post a lot less on the forums. Some of the messages and reactions I've gotten from people over the years were rather surprising to me, considering who they came from-and the fact that I have had very little issue with anyone on these (or any form of) these forums. People may not like me or my posts, but I have had very, very few real issues with anyone-even folks I don't like or don't like me, lol. Most of the time it ends up resolved down the road-even if folks hold a grudge for a while.  

I've been sent messages from people pissed off that I smiled, liked, gave a trophy for, whatever reaction (both to their own posts and posts made by others, which thye didn't agree with my opinion of, apparently). But lately, despite my "way less participation", people have gone off the deep end on the offended train with me, and I don' have time or inclination to sort it all, lol. 

Sometimes even when you try to please no one at all, you still can't win ;) 

Just now, Tari Landar said:

I rarely react to posts at all, for this very reason, it doesn't matter WHAT reaction I have, I just don't unless I can tell, with as much certainty as I could reasonably have, that at least the person I am reacting to isn't going to flip their lid at me like a deranged meth-head on bath salts.

Geez Tari, I only did that once and you're still bringing it up?

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I do the same thing. And sometimes I think the person is being deliberately absurd so that people will laugh. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to oblige. Especially since I know there is at least one person that would like to see me gone from SL and the forum. Permanently. :S

Sometimes it might be better in the long-run to just not react at all to some people, especially if you have concerns about their motives. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.