Problem with Bots on my Parcel

Unity SecretSpy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 9/5/2019 at 12:14 PM, Resi Pfeffer said:

Maybe something like this could help you to get the account names. The script is mod, making you able to adjust the scan area, it seems.
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Rug-Welcome-With-Visitor-List/5322411

Could someone please explain how to use this mat? I bought it, but am at a loss as to what I need to do other than place it on my doorstep! I don't see any instructions :(

I do not know for sure but I guess he is using a free open source script I allways use in open sim.

You put it into any prim - in this case it is in the mat - (and maybe you have to reset it by editing)

then just talk to it in open chat like you are told in the description in the MP

- Commands the owner can say:
'help' - Shows instructions.
'say list' - Says the names of all visitors on the list.
'reset list' - Removes all the names from the list.

Then the mat answeres in open chat ... you can just copy the names into a textfile then say "reset list" and wait for the next visitors

Edited by Leora Jacobus

15 minutes ago, Alumna Cornell said:

Could someone please explain how to use this mat? I bought it, but am at a loss as to what I need to do other than place it on my doorstep! I don't see any instructions :(

Edit it and see if there are instructions inside it.  Otherwise, as Leora mentioned, stand next to it and say 'help' in open chat to see what sort of instructions it shows you.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:
9 hours ago, Unity SecretSpy said:

Placed an orb which is teleporting them home instantly now.

Please do not do that.  There's no point getting yourself in trouble for violating the Linden Homes covenant. Use a visitor counter to collect names and times of the bot visitors and report them in an AR so Linden Lab can deal with them.  If this guy really is a griefer, he'd like nothing better than to sucker you into doing something dumb that will get you in trouble.

Please do not try to do anything that goes against the covenant.  We have been looking into this; we're here to help.   If you have this occurring, please report them via the Abuse Reporting tool so we can track.   Thanks!

• Thanks 14

33 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

Please do not try to do anything that goes against the covenant.  We have been looking into this; we're here to help.   If you have this occurring, please report them via the Abuse Reporting tool so we can track.   Thanks!

It's all okay, meanwhile I abandoned the land and informed the new citizen about what is going on on that parcel. She was not very amused, but I recommended to her, to track the unwanted "visitors" and file an AR too. With alone 7!!! new avatars popping up into my kitchen only of today + I always did not like that parcel so much I decided to better be homeless or take an old LH until more sims are released. Everything is fine 😀

Edited by Unity SecretSpy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Hey folks!

My team is currently aware of this issue and we are actively investigating to see what's going on here. Hopefully we'll be able to provide some relief for those experiencing these strange visitors. 

If you are encountering strange bots popping into your homes we ask that you please report them by filing an Abuse Report. If you happen to have a list of names of other bots that have visited, please feel free to include that information in your reports as that will be very helpful while we dig around :)

We also ask that you do not place items in your Linden Homes that violate the Linden Home Covenant. While we understand that having unwanted visitors constantly popping in is frustrating and a bit creepy, resorting to measures that are not in compliance with the Linden Home Covenants may only complicate things more. Otherwise you may use any other tools or methods available to you that fall within those parameters.

Thanks to everyone who has submitted ARs on this issue already, as they have been very helpful so far.

Now pardon me while I go back to the mystery at hand!

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 18

Well just had a couple of live people pop into my home while I was working on my avatar. Oddly enough the LH security system didn't eject them though it was turned on an their names not on the list. Which is rather disconcerting I rather have someone come up to my mail box an IM me a howdy instead of just randomly bust into my home.

So put up a 3rd party system to how the covenant mentions it should be set and we'll see what happens.. FFS this feels like needing more then one anti malware program to keep unwanteds out.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Pinto Schnyder said:

Well just had a couple of live people pop into my home while I was working on my avatar. Oddly enough the LH security system didn't eject them though it was turned on an their names not on the list. Which is rather disconcerting I rather have someone come up to my mail box an IM me a howdy instead of just randomly bust into my home.

So put up a 3rd party system to how the covenant mentions it should be set and we'll see what happens.. FFS this feels like needing more then one anti malware program to keep unwanteds out.

I've noticed that the LL security isn't catching or ejecting as well and have stated as much in this thread. Where mine was set to the allowed 15 seconds, it should have ejected before my Casper system even noticed or gave a warning because the Casper was set for 20 seconds.

• Like 3

I came here hoping to find some answers to the bots visiting my parcel and I certainly did!  I'm sorry that so many of us are experiencing this issue but hopefully the problem(s) are sorted soon.

I've had the issue for the past few weeks and it's annoying.  I added a whitelist to the Linden Security System when I set it up (the latest update) and I parcel banned the 10 bots.  As mentioned previously (sorry I don't recall the OP), I too noticed that the accounts are between 90-120+ days old and the profiles are empty.

I submitted an AR tonight after reading through this thread.  Having a visitor list script made it easy to collect the names.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2019 at 2:07 PM, Sehra Kauffman said:

Question, for those who are having bot issues, is your house in the middle of the region? Perhaps they are enter a region name and just ending up in your house because it was unfortunately placed directly in the center of the region. I really wish the moles would double check that nobody's property sits right on the center of the region for that reason.

No.  My parcel is located on the SW corner of the region.

53 minutes ago, Chocolate Voom said:

I came here hoping to find some answers to the bots visiting my parcel and I certainly did!  I'm sorry that so many of us are experiencing this issue but hopefully the problem(s) are sorted soon.

I've had the issue for the past few weeks and it's annoying.  I added a whitelist to the Linden Security System when I set it up (the latest update) and I parcel banned the 10 bots.  As mentioned previously (sorry I don't recall the OP), I too noticed that the accounts are between 90-120+ days old and the profiles are empty.

I submitted an AR tonight after reading through this thread.  Having a visitor list script made it easy to collect the names.

I do know how annoying these blowflies are, I had them in my kitchen for nearly two months.

I wish I would have contacted LL earlier because I know they are investigating now and did react very fast to the problem. All of the names I wrote down are gone now. They are offline. Before, those accounts were online 24/7. So there is hope that we all will live a bot-free Bellisseria life in future :D 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TerezaBaptista said:

And spend one more precious prim? No 🤣🤣🤣🤑

It would just be an update of the system already used in LL Homes 

😊

Yes, I understand and I get it LOL Though it won't happen because, based on the last umpteen years I've witnessed, Linden Lab prefers not to invade privacy, which that would technically be doing (if it recorded the names) - though they also do not block that. This is why Third Party viewers allow you to auto-cam on people where the Official Viewer does not (or, at least, not until they did implement it - though I still use it, I do so rarely). :)

BUT - there is this: you could just take the script (or buy just a script) and put it into any of your existing prims, right? :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes, I understand and I get it LOL Though it won't happen because, based on the last umpteen years I've witnessed, Linden Lab prefers not to invade privacy, which that would technically be doing (if it recorded the names) - though they also do not block that. This is why Third Party viewers allow you to auto-cam on people where the Official Viewer does not (or, at least, not until they did implement it - though I still use it, I do so rarely). :)

BUT - there is this: you could just take the script (or buy just a script) and put it into any of your existing prims, right? :D

I understand, thank you 😉

On 9/5/2019 at 6:18 AM, Unity SecretSpy said:

Yes I already did that  and will handle the list with the names to the lab. 

It's not only annoying for me, it will annoy every person who will claim that place after me in future -  so this clearly has to stop.

Thanks for the reply, searching for that german post now 😀

So, you have their names, just add them to the parcel banlist.

5 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

So, you have their names, just add them to the parcel banlist.

Yes, but if you did read my first post of this thread and following posts by me and other users, you will find out that the person/s (Botuser) did send new avatars to our places just after banning previous ones. And so on and on and on.

This would have been a "never ending story", my list was already very long and the last day I already  had 7 new names on my vistor counter in my kitchen after logging in. That were only 8 hours of sleep and beeing offline.

Anyway, seems like the problem is gone now as the investigations were very fast. 

Thank you for that.

Edited by Unity SecretSpy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Unity SecretSpy said:

Yes, but if you did read my first post of this thread and following posts by me and other users, you will find out that the person/s (Botuser) did send new avatars to our places just after banning previous ones. And so on and on and on.

The same poster threw out a load of quick replies to a bunch of threads without really reading them, so I wouldn't worry. It was clear what was going on (and I'm glad the bots seem to have stopped... I guess the Lindens figured out who was doing it, though we'll probably never know why they did it).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think it is interesting this turned out to be a real issue, whereas one early poster claimed they were grid survey bots and “harmless”.

Let's be fair: some have stated that "there are survey bots and some of these could be those." I don't think anyone specifically claimed that's what these were actually those, though I'm not sure because too many posts to comb through just so I can say I'm right, but I R RITE, DANGIT!!!! ~snorts~

• Like 2

On 9/5/2019 at 8:56 AM, BJoyful said:

There are completely harmless bots which are used to do important tasks in SL such as gather information for helpful statistics like how many people are online, grid status, taking pictures for the World Map (the ones which appear, spin slowly, and disappear), etc.  They are much more benign than most people fear and many members of SL rely on them to do jobs which do need to be done in world but would be far too monotonous and inaccurate if done by an actual live person behind that avatar.  If they are human sized and attributed they are probably created that way to be less obtrusive and represent an average Resident.  🙂

@Alyona Su it was one of the first few posts on the first page. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

@Alyona Su it was one of the first few posts on the first page. 

The person stating that cannot be sure about the bots on Bellisseria. And, even if they are harmless, does not mean they are not annoying and an invasion of privacy.  If I had bots (harmless or not) showing up in my home while I was there I would be upset also.  They have no business TP'ing into someone's property.  The fact that LL seems to be doing something about them and they have stopped is a good thing.

• Like 5

Just now, Sparkly Rainbow said:

The person stating that cannot be sure about the bots on Bellisseria. And, even if they are harmless, does not mean they are not annoying and an invasion of privacy.  If I had bots (harmless or not) showing up in my home while I was there I would be upset also.  They have no business TP'ing into someone's property.  The fact that LL seems to be doing something about them and they have stopped is a good thing.

Yep. Survey bots tend to Rez not in homes.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.