Unity SecretSpy

Problem with Bots on my Parcel

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, we're not arguing or disagreeing about anything.  We're both simply recognizing that life isn't as simple as advertised.  People make mistakes and bad things happen. The fact that the mistakes were avoidable is almost irrelevant -- most mistakes are avoidable, after all, and it's unrealistic to believe in a world with zero risk.  If there is any difference in perspective between your initial observation and mine, it is that I find it regrettable that some people, some of the time put more emphasis on who made the mistake than on why it happened. [Not you, necessarily.  I do it myself. It's another one of those human failings.]

As I said earlier, this is why telemarketers and Nigerian princes are so successful. They know what can lead intelligent, alert, well-meaning people like you and me to make unwise choices.  And they have statistics on their side. To make money, they only need to be successful a vanishingly small amount of the time.

Agreed. I have a book of quotes, most from the 1600s to 1800s and one of my favorites is "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." I apologize I cannot cite that one right now because I'm not looking at it; it's profound enough that it's always in my head. :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

PROTIP: If you quote anyone who misspells a word or uses the wrong word, you can add [sic] just behind that word.

For the benefit of those playing at home who may not have had the advantage of a few years of high school Latin back in the Dark Ages .......  The word "sic" is Latin for "thus" or "in that way,"as in "sic semper tyrannis" [ever thus to tyrants]. It's the editor's way of saying "Hey!  Don't look at me.  He said it that way."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Nooo! I'm not saying you should have, I'm just saying you could have. :) I LUVS U! 🥰 ~Squeeze the lion hard with both arms wrapped tightly the way a toddler squeezes the puppy~

05CDE2FE-5435-4827-9E9C-C06C35D5E76E.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

For the benefit of those playing at home who may not have had the advantage of a few years of high school Latin back in the Dark Ages .......  The word "sic" is Latin for "thus" or "in that way,"as in "sic semper tyrannis" [ever thus to tyrants]. It's the editor's way of saying "Hey!  Don't look at me.  He said it that way."

I wonder if “Thus Spake Zarathustra” was a [sic]. What’s “Sic transit Gloria” mean?

10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Thank you! I read that a long time ago, but that one is hard to remember. My favorite alphabet history is the ampersand (&) - it was actually the last letter of the alphabet, meaning "and". And when we sang our ABCs we would get to the end and sing "X, Y, Z, and per se AND" - then we slopped it up (as we usually do) and slurred it to "ampersand" and then it was removed from the official alphabet!

Hahaha. I know, everyone, off-topic and stuff, sorry. 😇

@Lindens: FEATURE REQUEST: Ability to "tear-off" a thread post to convert into new thread topic and choose which forum to drop it into. Please speak with forum hosting company about this. <-- FoRealz

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I wonder if “Thus Spake Zarathustra” was a [sic].

Not at the time. "spake" is a now-archaic past tense form of "speak."  The word "spake" is quite common in places like the King James Bible, which was written when people still spake like that.

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What’s “Sic transit Gloria” mean?

The full phrase is "Sic transit gloria mundi," which means "There go the fortunes of the world."  Or, more loosely. "That's the way the cookie crumbles."  It has been mistranslated by several people including (I think) Will Rogers as "Poor Gloria was ill on the bus."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The full phrase is "Sic transit gloria mundi," which means "There go the fortunes of the world."  Or, more loosely. "That's the way the cookie crumbles."  It has been mistranslated by several people including (I think) Will Rogers as "Poor Gloria was ill on the bus."

I think in Mel Brook’s “History of the World Part 1”, there’s a scene where someone says “sic transit Gloria” which gets the reply, “I didn’t know Gloria was sick!”

• Like 2

Has anyone commented yet along the lines of, “I like Big Bots and I cannot lie. They can be all up in my parcel anytime!”?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I have a book of quotes, most from the 1600s to 1800s and one of my favorites is "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." I apologize I cannot cite that one right now because I'm not looking at it; it's profound enough that it's always in my head. :)

I like the Belgian proverb: "Experience is the comb that Nature gives us when we are bald."  I think of that as I get older.  🙄

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

attack of the bots. i think its rare for me to see actual live people playing the avatars these days, to me it seems to be alot of bots.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's why telemarketers and Nigerian princes are so successful.

Why is it never a "princess"?  Darn sexist scammers!!!!

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Why is it never a "princess"?  Darn sexist scammers!!!!

Never mind

Edited by Love Zhaoying