Anyone here login into SL and Sansar?

JPG0809

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, JPG0809 said:

How do you feel about sansar now vs when it first opened up? (If you were a user from the get-go?)

There has been steady progress but very slow and it's still years away from being fully functional. There are several huge issues they haven't even started working on.

14 minutes ago, JPG0809 said:

Anything you feel it does better than SL?

It has better VR headset support of course.

If you're happy with a single fairly static scene and don't mind waiting a few minutes to load, you can get better graphics quality in Sansar than in SL.

16 minutes ago, JPG0809 said:

Would you recommend it to a friend?

No.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JPG0809 said:

How do you feel about sansar now vs when it first opened up? (If you were a user from the get-go?)

No different. It’s still boring, there is still nothing to do, it’s a waste of time.

4 minutes ago, JPG0809 said:

Haemorrhaging money?, Wasting the public’s time?, Creating an even bigger learning curve than SL already has when it comes to development?, Making you question your life choices?

4 minutes ago, JPG0809 said:

Not in its current state and not likely in the future either. SL is just extraordinarily better in nigh all ways. 

Make SL 2.0 and I might jump on board the development cheer jump choo choo. Until then, project money pit it is!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, JPG0809 said:

Gorgeous lighting with atmospheric shaders. Pretty much everything looks better there -- so far as mesh builds. The learning curve in SETTING the lighting is vast however. 

45 minutes ago, JPG0809 said:

No.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JPG0809 said:

1. There's been lots of improvement since the early pre-public beta days. But they still have lots of work to do. I am excited to hear about the avatar 2.0 project. I will most likely go back and check it out again once the new avatar is fully functional.

2. Lots of things it does better than SL. Lighting and sound quality is so far superior it's staggering. Texturing is wonderful. I would dearly love to have PBR texturing in SL.

3. If the friend loves creating I would strongly recommend it. I spent a year there honing my skills in Blender. With free uploads and strong community support from creators, it's a haven for those who want to further their skills. It's been a good 6 or 9 months, maybe even a year now, since I was active in Sansar though. I had been splitting my time between Sansar and SL with Sansar getting the bigger slice of my time for over a year.  But with SL friends pulling me back and being somewhat frustrated with the state of the default avatar in Sansar, I went back to SL full time. I've even made a nice little profit, enough to take to RL three different times, from my store.

If the friend isn't a creator, I would still recommend it as something cool to check out if the person likes seeing new things and meeting new people. By the way, I'm not a VR headset user. So while having one would make the experience better, it certainly isn't necessary.

I logged in day 1 hour 1 and at first thought it was great. As I attempted to build or create it became so frustrating and not relaxing at all I gave up after 2 or 3 weeks and deleted all Sansar stuff from my Pc. I still have a property there called "Lakeside Park" but have not been there in a year or so. After being so disillusioned with Sansar however it gave me a whole , new, appreciated love for Second Life.  I mean if you can't even sit and edit a scene without a major diploma in camera maneuvering then I am over it. lol

I think they need to just stop anything Sansar, cut the loss, delete it and concentrate on fixing Mainland and Linden Homes.

• Like 3

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Cartoon avatars? No, thank you.

You not noticed that Sansar advertises its avatars with "left shark" and a dalek on their steam page. It not that different, except maybe that you likely gotta pay to get avatars in sansar, where in vrchat you be anything you want, for free.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chronometria said:

You not noticed that Sansar advertises its avatars with "left shark" and a dalek on their steam page. It not that different, except maybe that you likely gotta pay to get avatars in sansar, where in vrchat you be anything you want, for free.

What I don't want is a cartoon/anime avatar like what is in VRChat. Not my thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JPG0809 said:

It's a bit better since I got in during initial creator beta. Although, it's been a while since I've tried it but here are my main issues from that last point...

• Lacks complete in-world based avatar customization. Avatar base has some poor proportions, poor default skin, and facial shape features that are not my cup of tea even after tweaking it. As Blush mentioned, will see how Avatar 2.0 turns out.
  • The process of having to code C# > upload > publish > test > repeat. Needs a more streamlined approach. Needs a quick, easy way for complete new users who don't have a code environment setup to test & debug scripts in runtime within edit mode without building/visiting scene.
5 hours ago, JPG0809 said:

• VR (although I don't care for it)
  • PBR and Lighting
  • Script Properties Exposure into the UI (Cloud Party did this too and it was great for allowing creators to create custom properties for buyers to easily customize through a consistent interface)
  • Free personal space and no upload fees to explore creativity without penalty from lack of understanding/experience
  • The ability to fit/shape clothing over shape and other clothing in avatar mode. This a really cool feature in my opinion and one definitely needed in SL or something similar to it. Unfortunately, Sansar's implementation limits you to Marvelous Designer proprietary software which feels like it discriminates hobbyist creators who prefer alternative approaches that isn't MD.
Edited by Kurshie Muromachi
clarification
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Once SL's cloud move is complete and with staff migration to Tilia, it's likely Sansar will end up LL's the biggest project in terms of active staffing.

Ebbe stated in his NWN interview that out of LL's 200 employees, 70 of them are working on Sansar.

I still feel that SL could have had better feature turnaround in the last 4 years had some of that workforce remained devoted to SL.

Right now major features tie a single developer up for 1.5 years or more because they are multi-tasked to hell and back.

Script features not part of major feature work have not happened in years and are much needed.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, latinatransgirl said:

does it have much population? i always heard it was more for designers, builders, creators.etc. and that there wasnt much else to it. of course this was back when it first started.

Currently about 12 concurrency :D     That is not a typo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have logged into Sansar a few times over the years, since you could get in without an invitation. I have no VR gear whatsoever, so perhaps my use of primitive tech is holding me back, but I have never found it compelling at all. Almost nothing seems to be clickable, I cannot figure out how to interact with things, there seem to be almost no places to go, and while I always do see a few people, they are mostly doing nothing interesting. Seems a huge misdirection of resources to me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, latinatransgirl said:

does it have much population?

No, it doesn't. According to the stats from Steam daily visits stay fairly steady in the 20s and low 30s with occasional peaks. There was such a peak last week reaching all the way to 75 last week.

I don't think Steam registers all visitors so this probably isn't the whole story. It shouldn't be too far from the truth though.

Edit:

13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Currently about 12 concurrency :D     That is not a typo.

Concurrency about half of the daily logon count ... that means the average Sansarer spends 12 hours a day there. Anyone for camping?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

I went to look at Sansar about a year ago .  The graphics etc. were impressive but really it seemed like a showcase for what's being trialled - so I haven't been back again but maybe in a couple of years if it really gets going and there's things to do there I might rejoin.

Edited by Conifer Dada

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.