Copycats

Sean Azambuja

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not one of the talented few that has a superb imagination or flare for what works, my brain is rather conventional which I think is why I will never be an effective creator or photographer or landscaper. So I for one would take inspiration absolutely from what anyone else has achieved that looks fabulous. I would try to do it with different products but the idea would still be yours. I would hope that is OK, some have a natural flare. I wish I did.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Evarne said:

I'm not one of the talented few that has a superb imagination or flare for what works, my brain is rather conventional which I think is why I will never be an effective creator or photographer or landscaper. So I for one would take inspiration absolutely from what anyone else has achieved that looks fabulous. I would try to do it with different products but the idea would still be yours. I would hope that is OK, some have a natural flare. I wish I did.

I definately don't  have that natural flare for it.  I can't even decorate in RL least of all trying to do it in SL.  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

I can hear my grandmother saying, "Listen, imitation is the highest form of flattery - what are you complaining about?"

I agree with your Grandmother Anja,  my most favorite thing to do is walk around and see how others have decorated their home's and yes many a time I am guilty of copying, but that in it self is flattery to that persons good taste.

If someone copies my décor then I take it as we both have good taste lol.

I'm sorry Sean but you are taking this far to serious!

• Like 9

The best part of decorating my LL home is camming everybody's house to see what inspiration I can get, I seen someone who had unicorns all over their bedroom and hell yes I went and inspected them and I bought them and I am very happy about it, If no one ever "copied" anyone ISL then Designers would be pretty much useless. I think this "statement" is very child like and ridiculous.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I know, I'd feel like maybe I had a stalker! hehe

I'd turn that into a game for a while and start moving stuff little by little 😂  Only till they noticed and did the same thing! :D 

• Haha 5

I sort of understand where the OP is coming from, even if it's an unpopular outlook. I do try to be unique, if nothing else by modifying almost everything I buy. It makes it feel more personalized, more "me". But even when it comes to profiles, I've seen people copy things I say in mine word for word. Somehow I feel violated when I see that.. those are my thoughts! But I just accept things, and move on, because every human being on this planet is different. Some don't mind being copied, some copy, some make it their mission to try to be 100% unique, fail, and are annoyed to see replications. It does annoy me to see a duplication of something I consider mine, but that's life. I don't own the world! People will always do what they do, and it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Sean Azambuja said:
Copying others work/homes/AVs/etc isn't very appealing.  Can you imagine if you went out and bought a green Porsche 911 only come to find out your next door neighbor went out and bought the exact same one the next day?  How about if you paint your house blue with white shutters, then every single corner house in your neighborhood did the same thing?  How about if you remodel your kitchen and look over and your best friend did the exact same remodel to his/her kitchen?
FYI, mimicking someone else's ideas, tweaking them, and calling them your own is one thing.  Ripping items, textures, and  running out and buying all of the decor items your neighbor spent time and effort on finding is blatant plagiarism.
This IS SL, so do what you want.  But be original people.  Copying other peoples stuff only shows your lack of creativity.   And that will most definitely show in whatever you do.  Just my 2c

Well this has multiple aspects and factors:

Hand designed items and textures:

If it is original created artwork and product that is not for sale by yourself, then it violates terms if they don't have permission and use programs to steal the textures you hand created.

Open Domain Textures and items:

Taking textures off Google or the web is not your own work just because you upload it first. It remains open domain. Importaing #D mesh items from the web into blender does not make it your own. 

Marketplace products:

If it is products sold or given by other makers that happen to be the same as what you are using, it isn't exactly copying, just using the same products. With the current houses they may position it in similar ways based on the house layout, but that is factors of the house.

My neighbor used the same living room set as We have in the buddhist center, which is not for me to say, he saw it, liked it, and it is his right to purchase and use the same.

Others likes how I divided and created the upper floor add on and division of walls for the dining meeting area, and living room on the boat. If they liked it I actually gave them free copies of the layout for that style, which is being compassionate and friendly to help the community. 

Ego makes a person want to stand out and feel self important. Compassion shares and appreciates the common likes. 

Edited by anthonytorino
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
20 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well Kiera I see the OP as making an impassioned call to the artists of Bellisseria, asking them to "be original". Is he perhaps a budding artist? Attempting to find 'the new' (what one hasn't seen or been able to achieve before)  is very important to most creators. In the beginning I've seen new creators struggle by comparing themselves to other people in an attempt to judge if what they're doing looks good or stands out. But eventually one gets to the point (hopefully) where one mainly does self-comparisons in order to grow, striving to learn new things and to make each creation unique compared to what was accomplished before.
So, again, I see his post as a call to creators as much as a judgement of those who don't make any attempt to be original. Could be, too, that he doesn't understand that budding artists generally copy/imitate before they attempt to strike out on their own.

The only thing the OP sells in his store is Gachas. 

After visiting his houseboat and looking around, the only thing I saw was someone a few houseboats down has the same kitchen, but it is not arranged the same or even in the same area of the houseboat.  I can't find anyone else nearby that looks to be using any other items that he has.  It is possible that the OP has changed a lot since he posted and thus that is why we don't see anything else that appears to be copying him.

Perhaps he was just strolling through Bellisseria and saw some copycat homes & gardens. The only thing I'm fairly sure of is that he is some sort of artist, and this is because he understands and champions the desire for innovation. This actually is a compliment to the citizens of Bellisseria, as he views them all as potential artists. And they are! It's quite a task to assemble a home and garden that looks nice without copying the design of another. And quite an opportunity to use one's imagination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anthonytorino said:

Ego makes a person want to stand out and feel self important. Compassion shares and appreciates the common likes.

I'd say that's partially true, as sharing is a nice attribute. But We don't want to facilitate compassion for being lemmings or copying others over developing skills within ourselves.
I would think using one's capacities to grow, become better, and learn would be a favorable attribute to seek. There is compassion here, too, in the search to change one's self and view a bigger picture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

One neighbour has the same Consignment kitchen that you see everywhere because they are nice, but that is it and presumably what has upset him.

I have bought seven of the first twelve kitchens on the Marketplace. I have dibs on all of them!

😡

• Haha 18

4 hours ago, Trinity1776 said:

You know, I am really not a fan of the cedar color exteriors...but all the houses around me were one of the two most popular colors, so I went with something different 😎

I got lucky on with my houseboat and nobody else around me is using the same exterior color, though there are a total of 3 in our grouping (out of 6) that are using the Barnacle style (and the other 3 are all using Windlass).  I've considered a few times changing styles, but since neither of the other two are actually next to me, I'm sticking with Barnacle for now.

For the house, in some neighborhoods, Winchester is very popular, so I wasn't sure if I'd end up using it or not.  However, out of all of the homes surrounding me, including catty-corner, there is only one other Winchester and it is a very distant catty-corner.  Out of all those homes only one has the same outside coloring.  They are sort of my next door neighbor,but since they chose a different house style, it all looks okay (sort of next door because the way the walking paths are, their front door actually faces the side of my house).

• Like 1

At the end of the day, if your neighbor goes out and buys the same furniture that you have, it means that the creator of that furniture makes more money and has gained a new buyer.  For all the hard work that creators put into making Second Life a more beautiful place, they deserve all the praise and earnings that they can get.  So I wouldn’t look at it as an insult, but as another contribution to the creators of SL.  Without the creators, we would all be sitting on rocks, naked lol.  I could care less if I had 10 neighbors who had the same furniture as I did.  I would consider it a compliment and more support for my favorite content creators.  That’s a total yay in my book.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Trinity1776 said:

You know, I am really not a fan of the cedar color exteriors...but all the houses around me were one of the two most popular colors, so I went with something different 😎

I hear you. It seems like some regions are nothing but one certain house style even if the colours vary. I'm glad that a lot of people have created and utilized add-ons to give their homes a degree of variety, but even to a degree this fees lazy. I've seen some people actually building (or attempting) with basic prims and not meshing, and while I want to IM and suggest tips to save LI I don't. It's their home and their vision after all, and I applaud those who actually want to give it a try in standing apart from the rest (in a tasteful way, not full bright, visually jarring kind of way which is subjective to personal taste anyway). I enjoy smaller homes so the Adams and Alderley Traditional styles appealed to me the second I saw them at the display homes exhibit. But beyond that I made a conscious decision to use them because a majority of my neighbours weren't.

Personally I like my home to look like a suburban home, so it's not only where I "live" but also looks as though you could just walk in and role play there - and that's born from participating in RP for so long to the point it's not so much a choice but habit. If people want to copy me I'm all for it. If things got too alike I think that would likely just push me to recreate my set-up anyway and keep me from being lazy. I don't mind either way. It's nice when people notice enough to want to emulate and incorporate whatever it is into their lives. If it helps people utilize their space better or in a way they've not considered, or makes it feel more homely, or gets them to explore new avenues then I don't see the harm in copying. It's how we learn, right?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Angie Mornington said:

At the end of the day, if your neighbor goes out and buys the same furniture that you have, it means that the creator of that furniture makes more money and has gained a new buyer.  For all the hard work that creators put into making Second Life a more beautiful place, they deserve all the praise and earnings that they can get.  So I wouldn’t look at it as an insult, but as another contribution to the creators of SL.  Without the creators, we would all be sitting on rocks, naked lol.  I could care less if I had 10 neighbors who had the same furniture as I did.  I would consider it a compliment and more support for my favorite content creators.  That’s a total yay in my book.

THIS.. I want to continue to buy great looking things in Second Life. If someone cam into my house and buy something I have, I am happy. Because it keeps creators here. I can't think that one sale to me is enough to support them.

I have done the same, with the latest Hive kitchen. I see a house looking good on the outside, and look in. I did send the owner a compliment for her beautiful home.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Angie Mornington said:

Thanks for complimenting creators! BTW, I have lots of assembled gardens made specifically for the new Linden Homes  :)

Regarding buying the same furniture I see in another's home, I actually do that too -- take a peek in others houses and see what I like -- in fact I found a very cool bed that way. But copying a few items discovered in another's home is very different from copying their entire design -- copying every single item, both inside and out, so that my entire home and garden is an exact replica of another persons entire home and garden. 
Replicating is a way to learn, but eventually I would want to twist things up a bit and make it my own, add my own personal touch in anything I would create because this is how I could learn something new, grow and change. This is after all, "our world, our imagination" and not "our world, another person's imagination".

• Like 4

On 7/21/2019 at 9:30 AM, Sean Azambuja said:
Copying others work/homes/AVs/etc isn't very appealing.  Can you imagine if you went out and bought a green Porsche 911 only come to find out your next door neighbor went out and bought the exact same one the next day?  How about if you paint your house blue with white shutters, then every single corner house in your neighborhood did the same thing?  How about if you remodel your kitchen and look over and your best friend did the exact same remodel to his/her kitchen?
FYI, mimicking someone else's ideas, tweaking them, and calling them your own is one thing.  Ripping items, textures, and  running out and buying all of the decor items your neighbor spent time and effort on finding is blatant plagiarism.
This IS SL, so do what you want.  But be original people.  Copying other peoples stuff only shows your lack of creativity.   And that will most definitely show in whatever you do.  Just my 2c

Yes, I know I always hate it when I deliberately move into an area where everyone has to choose from one of only four possibilities and my neighbor's lot looks similar to mine...

• Haha 6

Copying would never work in the case of the Buddha center, of cafe's, bars, ect. Luckily we have people transformign homes into something totally different. 

P.S. Someone need to put in  a pizza parlor and sushi Bar.... 

And maybe china Buffet 

The buddha center has a salad bar and coffee station that is very nice for the public.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Yes, I know I always hate it when I deliberately move into an area where everyone has to choose from one of only four possibilities and my neighbor's lot looks similar to mine...

A house does not a home & garden make!       :)

* If you view each parcel as only a house, and only use that criteria to determine what makes a parcel unique, then you're ignoring all the customization both inside the home and outside it that makes everybody's parcel different and special.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 9:38 AM, Marianne Little said:

I have bought seven of the first twelve kitchens on the Marketplace. I have dibs on all of them!

😡

Well, since you have all the good kitchens and none of us can have one now...

Is 6 o'clock OK for dinner?

Edited by Gryphon Ronas
  • Haha 7

On 7/22/2019 at 4:38 PM, Marianne Little said:

😡

Why, that certainly answers the recently asked question as to where all the good kitchens are gone to. 😛 

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.