Renewed focus on premium experience

Kat Shadow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is such a smart way to go for LL, imo. A robust middle class spreads more money around than a small population of wealthy people. I'm sure LL will continue to make it worthwhile for estates, but bringing in more people who think a membership and a Linden home is a good deal means more stipends spent on content creators of all sorts and more people traveling around Second Life and telling their non SL friends to come check it out. Multiplier effects on the economy is going to be pronounced.

I applaud this direction, wildly.

giphy.gif

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

It is the best marketing idea they had in a long time! Much better than SANSAR *eg*

Some time ago it wasn't even legal to have an alt, though it couldn't be controlled. Nowadays everyone has them and now they even make then Premium to take part in the gold rushes! LL realized that far easier than to make NEW People come to SL and STAY there and become Premium it is to make the people that allreadfy KNOW Second Life and LIKE it become multiple Premium!

And in spite of those who said they should have not released little flocks of houses and houseboats but should have kept them back till (one faroff day) there would be enough for everyone, I say BRAVO!!  That is just the way you keep keen interest glowing! Give them some ... then a pause (at least one month so the 9,50US$ Premium is expired) then give them again some ... and so on!

Like a donkey you show a carrot on a fishing rod to keep him moving foreward. ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Some time ago it wasn't even legal to have an alt, though it couldn't be controlled.

i'm here pretty long, but never knew this wasn't allowed.
Only thing i remember you had to pay for a second account ( however i never seen that fee taken)

Edited by Fox Wijaya
  • Like 3

Agree so much. A curated and detailed community landscape/layout like Bellasseria gives you a sense of true community. All respect to the iconoclasts who make interesting builds on their older mainland plots, but frankly most mainland sims/continents are just annoying and off-putting in their garishness and disjointedness.  I used to spend most of my time INDOORS (or up in a skybox) because some realtor would put up huge ugly yellow tape ban lines on the empty plot right next to you, or you’d get some new neighbor that would build some garish jumble with no consideration for any of their neighbors. 

Continents like Bellasseria are the future of SL, IMO.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fushichou Mfume said:

Continents like Bellasseria are the future of SL, IMO.

I hope not.  I hope that this experience might lead back to a renewed interest in revitalizing other parts of the mainland. 

There are actually a lot of nice areas in mainland where there are builds that work together well with neighboring builds.  There are even some nicely landscaped and decorated communities on mainland with homes, a little business district and venue areas that cater towards fostering community.   As much as I like the new area, I still like the variety and possibilities that mainland and private estates offer that the Linden Home area can't offer due to its purpose and design. 

I'm not ready to write mainland off yet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I am sure Mainland will be attractive if LL is changing the layout, better roads, new ground textures, and adds communal land (protected land) around the plots. Something must be done with the concept of land. It should not be possible to slice up parts in unusuable sizes because a group break up. 

There need to be land that work as LL houses today, sign up for it and abandon it freely, no money involved.

But not all! It must also be Mainland in large and small plots like we have today, maybe loose zones "in theme", maybe not. Restrictions on rezzing of skyboxes. And 0 seconds warning not allowed. Or send home.

What I propose, is that group bonus is changed to LI ONLY. Who need the land, all who use groups do it for the LI. They are forced to get land in the same region because they must have the LI. So two persons form a group and get 2048 m land. That's all the land they get. But the bonus is in the LI only. It should be a limit down on what people can buy.

Or even better: Make some main roads, highways, with advertising plots along. They can be small, like 16 or 32.

That above is perhaps not true for all. Some may need lots of land for roleplay.

But what I have seen, is that a large mass of land sit unused because the prims are used on the main build. So do people really need that 204 m land so they can have 204 m more yard, or so they can have prims? I think it is the prims, or LI.

Edited by Marianne Little
added the part about orbs

On 5/23/2019 at 1:17 PM, Kitten Kaos said:

Is such a smart way to go for LL, imo. A robust middle class spreads more money around than a small population of wealthy people. I'm sure LL will continue to make it worthwhile for estates, but bringing in more people who think a membership and a Linden home is a good deal means more stipends spent on content creators of all sorts and more people traveling around Second Life and telling their non SL friends to come check it out. Multiplier effects on the economy is going to be pronounced.

I applaud this direction, wildly.

I agree with you, but with one reservation. To let people travel around Second Life, tell their non SL friends to come check it out, and spend on content creators requires something very important: restrictions on ban lines and security orbs on the rest of the mainland. Otherwise  we have one relatively safe area (Bellissaria) and the entire rest of the grid is full of send-home orbs. Walking a mine field and waiting to be sent home does not make me want to tell my non-SL friends to come in world. I doubt it will do that for others either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

I agree with you, but with one reservation. To let people travel around Second Life, tell their non SL friends to come check it out, and spend on content creators requires something very important: restrictions on ban lines and security orbs on the rest of the mainland. Otherwise  we have one relatively safe area (Bellissaria) and the entire rest of the grid is full of send-home orbs. Walking a mine field and waiting to be sent home does not make me want to tell my non-SL friends to come in world. I doubt it will do that for others either.

giphy.gif&sp=3b1a0de2c75c46bd7f622ce7527

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

What I propose, is that group bonus is changed to LI ONLY. Who need the land, all who use groups do it for the LI. They are forced to get land in the same region because they must have the LI. So two persons form a group and get 2048 m land. That's all the land they get. But the bonus is in the LI only. It should be a limit down on what people can buy.

But what I have seen, is that a large mass of land sit unused because the prims are used on the main build. So do people really need that 204 m land so they can have 204 m more yard, or so they can have prims? I think it is the prims, or LI.

There is some upper limit to region LI whichever that might be.  If we could get extra LI and it is not tied to region surface then an example

i have say 1024m tier allowance.  I have a 512m on the region and then I apply my whole 1024m to this. So I get 351 LI on my parcel.  The effect is that there is now a 512m surface space on the region owned by Linden which cannot / has no objects on it. Basically we have moved the ownership of the empty space from me to Linden

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Or even better: Make some main roads, highways, with advertising plots along. They can be small, like 16 or 32.

sorry but you really want those adfarms back?? those were real mainland killers and took lot of trouble to get that banned, there are even still landbarons using the forbidden floating blinking and rotating signs

Edited by Fox Wijaya
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

There is some upper limit to region LI whichever that might be.  If we could get extra LI and it is not tied to region surface then an example

i have say 1024m tier allowance.  I have a 512m on the region and then I apply my whole 1024m to this. So I get 351 LI on my parcel.  The effect is that there is now a 512m surface space on the region owned by Linden which cannot / has no objects on it. Basically we have moved the ownership of the empty space from me to Linden

I was thinking that the plots is 1024 in one area, 2048 in another. Lindens would have to calculate in the LI that would cost, and it's 10%. 

But I haven't thought about it in all details. I saw it as a way to get rid of the small, unusable pieces all over Mainland. This as an improved way of our Linden homes, an option to have our home, that we don't have to buy from another avatar, and land where you can use your own house.

I know they say you can live in SL for free when you are premium, but that's not really correct. You have to buy a parcel from another resident, that is square or rectangular, to get the maximum use out of it. Not a L-shaped one, a long thin one, or one with jagged edges. I have tried, and they are few that's not strange shaped, and they cost much.

And to get the 10% benefit on Mainland as today, I have to find a parcel that's not only usable, but who also are big enough for the 10% group bonus. This is almost hopeless. What's the point in having more premium avatars, if there is no land that fits? 

11 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

sorry but you really want those adfarms back?? those were real mainland killers and took lot of trouble to get that banned, there are even still landbarons using the forbidden floating blinking and rotating signs

There has been questions about commercial use of land in Bellisseria. People want urban areas, shopping districts, they want to drive to a city-like area. Well, some want to. Driving from Suburbia to the city.

Immersion = exposed to ads. People travel a highway in RL see ads. There could be resturants and shops, limited in size and numbers, of course. There would not be an infinite line of adfarms. I think a Highway from one end of the continent, or some new continent, would be a good idea. Don't think in the past. We have new times, new interest in SL, new moles who are inworld and respond. It would not be "I do what I want and f* what that does for others".

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

It would not be "I do what I want and f* what that does for others".

but this is exectly what you promote, and not only in this post, f*ck all because "we" ( a limited hardcore snowflakes) want it.
You got what you wanted in the new continent, but is HAS to be everywhere now ... get real please, if thats going to happen, and i hate to use these wordse: SL will go down from what it ever was, intendend and made.
It will become  a sims clone, we chew you swallow.

Edited by Fox Wijaya
  • Like 2

I actually like Mainland exactly as it is, Wild West lawlessness, banlines, and all. If someone needs loads of rules, they can rent on (or buy) a private estate, or get a Linden home.

There is a market (a large one) for the freedom associated with having a piece of Mainland. I've never, ever had trouble finding parcels worth buying there. It's a messy, creative, fun place to live and explore, with loads of history behind it, and does not need to be cleaned up or sanitized to look like Bellisseria or private regions. 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I was thinking that the plots is 1024 in one area, 2048 in another. Lindens would have to calculate in the LI that would cost, and it's 10%. 

But I haven't thought about it in all details. I saw it as a way to get rid of the small, unusable pieces all over Mainland

i get where you coming from with the 10%

the way it works now to get say a old Linden Home (512m tier) and a 560m group-owned (512m tier). Buy for group a land greater than or equal to 560m and less than or equal to 1120m. If greater than 560m then cut out 560m and dump the rest.  Claim the old Linden Home 512m.  (This I have done myself)

the way to get a a group-owned 1120m for the least price when can't buy a 1120m directly. Buy upto 1536m. Costs $US4 tiers extra for 1 month. Cut out the 1120m, and dump the rest. (I have done this as well)

add ps

right now I have just bought a 1024m by the sea.  To get my extra 96m then I have to buy another parcel on the sim. At the moment the cheapest is 9,500L and the other for sale is 15,000L.  I see  LL have put a big parcel in the region to auction 2 days ago. I will wait and see who buys it and if they are going to cut it down into smaller parcels and resale it

Edited by Mollymews
add edit
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Immersion = exposed to ads. People travel a highway in RL see ads. There could be resturants and shops, limited in size and numbers, of course. There would not be an infinite line of adfarms. I think a Highway from one end of the continent, or some new continent, would be a good idea. Don't think in the past. We have new times, new interest in SL, new moles who are inworld and respond. It would not be "I do what I want and f* what that does for others".

This is not actually always the case. Many places restrict or ban billboards.  I'm not fully apposed to ads, but I think billboards would be crossing the line imo. 

18 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I actually like Mainland exactly as it is, Wild West lawlessness, banlines, and all.

I regard "anything goes" as one of many possible themes for a virtual reality and yes, I absolutely agree it's one we need in SL. But a quarter of the grid? Isn't that a bit too much?

Ideally I think there shold have been one anarchistic continent with even more freedom than you get anywhere on mainland today. It should be made as big or as small as market demanded and since consistency wouldn't matter, it would be easy to add or remove region as its popularity changed.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3

I disagree.  The new house boats for example.  Why is there not a wait list?  Why is there not a focus on premium members that have been paying month after month for years???  Is it just another LL ploy to create revenue by drawing new premium membership and the long time members get stiffed.  we are told to watch a forum post?  for how long, ten more years?  This whole this has been incredibly NOT focused on current members that again, pay month after for month for years...

• Confused 1

I disagree.  The new house boats for example.  Why is there not a wait list?  Why is there not a focus on premium members that have been paying month after month for years???  Is it just another LL ploy to create revenue by drawing new premium membership and the long time members get stiffed.  we are told to watch a forum post?  for how long, ten more years?  This whole this has been incredibly NOT focused on current members that again, pay month after for month for years...

56 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

but this is exectly what you promote, and not only in this post, f*ck all because "we" ( a limited hardcore snowflakes) want it.
You got what you wanted in the new continent, but is HAS to be everywhere now ... get real please, if thats going to happen, and i hate to use these wordse: SL will go down from what it ever was, intendend and made.
It will become  a sims clone, we chew you swallow.

Come on. This is not a popularity contest, neither have I anything to say about what LL does. 

And I would think it's cool to drive through something like SLs version of Route 66 to a Vegas-like area. No gambling of course, but some similar looking: A city in the desert with urban homes. I don't force anything on you or others.

It is letting the mind wander. It is not that I "must" have it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.