What would be worse? Pt 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

EITHER

- LL completely removes the ability to stream music (including all private DJs and radio stations) and video inworld...

OR

- SL gets to keep streaming but, every 10 minutes inworld, your viewer will run a 30-second-long commercial, taking up the whole screen and without any 'skip' option.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

The ads would be far worse. Even as a club owner, I'd rather have no in-world streaming at all, and direct my guests to an external stream with no ads.

Agree completely. I have stopped watching television for same reason. Adds spoil the experience. 

• Like 2

That's not even a choice. Goodbye streaming, music and videos. That is one aspect of SL I could care less about. I can't think of anything more boring than standing around in a club watching my avatar dance when I could be off doing something else with YouTube in the background.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

That's not even a choice. Goodbye streaming, music and videos. That is one aspect of SL I could care less about. I can't think of anything more boring than standing around in a club watching my avatar dance when I could be off doing something else with YouTube in the background.

i am your opposite then. Often I will be on my parcel listening to the stream, playing dances on my dance HUD as the music takes me. Or often also at a SL club on the line dance with other people letting all the open chat wash over me. While I am working on stuff in RL.. When I do this, which is quite a lot, then I think of it as 3D radio

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MintPanther said:

EITHER

- LL completely removes the ability to stream music (including all private DJs and radio stations) and video inworld...

OR

- SL gets to keep streaming but, every 10 minutes inworld, your viewer will run a 30-second-long commercial, taking up the whole screen and without any 'skip' option.

Why ?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, MintPanther said:

EITHER

OR

Nope.

Is this to "go legit" and pay the artists something for streaming their music, a la Spotify? I could imagine it coming to that someday.

If so, I assume this would not apply to live music performers, and if that's the case, I'm all for it. Replacing some DJs with a few more live musicians would be a net win.

I use an amusing source of streaming music - Radio Coast. Radio Coast plays old records from a 1960s background music service once run by Seeburg, the jukebox maker. Seeburg had their own in-house orchestra, so they owned the rights. They didn't copyright the recordings. Instead, they used an early form of "rights management" - the records are totally nonstandard, with nonstandard size, hole size, speed, and groove width. They were playable only on a special Seeburg player. Someone restored an old player and transcribed all the records, providing a free, legal source of 1960s background music.

Good for malls and such.

Music stream URL: http://198.178.121.76:8157

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i am your opposite then. Often I will be on my parcel listening to the stream, playing dances on my dance HUD as the music takes me. Or often also at a SL club on the line dance with other people letting all the open chat wash over me. While I am working on stuff in RL.. When I do this, which is quite a lot, then I think of it as 3D radio

And I am a combination of you both lol. I have been at clubs before but had the stream muted listening to my own stuff while chatting and/or doing other stuff in RL. I've also had my avatar at her home dancing to my choice of music or listening to a friend's stream from my parcel while building.

So for me, ads would be worse. Sometimes its leas lag for me to have the stream not running through SL so I am used to having it open outside of SL.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.