-Bellisserians Show Off Your Home and Garden-

Blush Bravin
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

The dining table is part of Bazars Hyde set, the table-runner too, and the chairs is Apple Fall. If SLB16 isn't over yet, Apple Fall had some colors in their booth for 50 L. I had to push the table in a bit. It is very long, and fits 3 chairs on each side. That's a bit too big in our small Belli houses.

But a lot of the stuff is Fancy Decor. So you were close.

Not always, the fireplace has been up many places. It is so low LI, I sometimes I want other ones, but... it is one LI. It is hard to beat that.

I buy much in SL. But I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't own any designer handbags, I am frugal in RL. I take it out in SL. ;)

Oh, duh at me, I thought kiramanell was asking about the glass and gold table (even though she clearly mentioned pears)! lol

For those of you  that wanted road signs --- there is a free one out at Cinoe  as a group gift. Includes texture to make your own names on the sign. Also there is just the pole and just the plaque so you can make it a single or double sign.  4 land impact as shown. Good long distance LODS.    Outside of the store by the landing point.    There is also an old counter and a wine pitcher set.  Click on the small group gift sign to get the gift. I didn't find the group joiner but you can get it from the edit menu of the group gift sign :D. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/utakata/225/60/27

I won't be leaving this. I was never in the "road sign" camp and while I have paths, I also have a TREE in the spot where you are seeing the road sign LOL.   

image.thumb.png.51b52308dcb43fea1c49169bffbcc0be.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Oh, duh at me, I thought kiramanell was asking about the glass and gold table (even though she clearly mentioned pears)! lol

Yeah. I have a lot of Fancy Decor stuff too; heck, even bought some extra stuff today. :) I guess the store owner will be happy with us (and we, no doubt, with them 😁).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Oh, that is definitely Fancy Decor! I think he must be very fond of gold.

So am I. And you, apparently. 😍 White and gold is such a classy combination: part of why I immediately took to your new living room. Warm and classy does wonders for me. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now it is likely you guys already covered this (maybe anyway - I mostly looked at the making walls photos :D) BUT ...

For those that don't want to go to the trouble of taking your walls into Blender you can still saves some land impact by turning the walls into convex hull (what most mesh objects are).    I decided to make the wall across from the one of the morn to match. It is made up of two PRIMS.  I linked them and matched the texture repeats and then changed them to convex hull in the FEATURES tab of the build menu.  VERY IMPORTANT that you also turn the wall to PHANTOM in the OBJECT tab.   

See note below.

Not everyone wants to install Blender (although I am thrilled for the folks that did). This works just fine and your 2 land impact wall becomes 1 land impact. My wall of the morning was made up of six prims == so it would be 3 LI made in prims and it is .8 made with mesh. So the more complex you get the more making you walls into mesh will cut down the LI cost.  

Edit: see the posts below this. You only REALLY need to change the prim wall to phantom IF you have used a hollowed cube with path cut (which I did often long ago when mesh was very new).  It won't HURT to make your linkset phantom but it isn't necessary. And it would be MUCH better to use the hollowed cube method in this instance. Lower LI, perfect textures  -- and I can link to my walls of the morning. 

At least that's my plan. If I am wrong on that I will come back and comment :D 

image.thumb.png.e6ca29db6ca722540e7a17a533bb5924.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

For those that don't want to go to the trouble of taking your walls into Blender you can still saves some land impact by turning the walls into convex hull (what most mesh objects are).    I decided to make the wall across from the one of the morn to match. It is made up of two PRIMS.  I linked them and matched the texture repeats and then changed them to convex hull in the FEATURES tab of the build menu.  VERY IMPORTANT that you also turn the wall to PHANTOM in the OBJECT tab.   

Quick question (and I'm not currently in world to test so bear with me). Of the two prims you mention here, is one the root prim? Meaning after you've made your walls Convex Hull you link them to the root prim and set the CV to phantom? CV without a root prim (and CV set to phantom) will just push your avatar out won't it? I'm more familiar with a meshing program so haven't tried the conversion process without one as you described above, so I hope the question made sense. Thanks in advance. :) 

44 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Quick question (and I'm not currently in world to test so bear with me). Of the two prims you mention here, is one the root prim? Meaning after you've made your walls Convex Hull you link them to the root prim and set the CV to phantom? CV without a root prim (and CV set to phantom) will just push your avatar out won't it? I'm more familiar with a meshing program so haven't tried the conversion process without one as you described above, so I hope the question made sense. Thanks in advance. :) 

OK. I just retested and you are correct -- or at least if I am understanding your question correctly. SINCE there were two prims  and I linked them, they do NOT need to be phantom.   I will go back and change that in my post. Thanks.

IF you used a hollowed cube with a path cut for that "wallpaper" wall and changed to Convex Hull then it would definitely need to be made phantom to fix the bounding box issues. 

AND REALLY THAT IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE === so I will redo that tomorrow. I can then link it to the . 8 wall I made this morning and have two walls with 1 LI. 

Thanks again!

I hope that is what you were asking.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, a couple of walls is not worth doing so much with. Since we got Convex Hull. I was also writing in the long "walls" thread that the 31 LI wall build would be only 16 LI if one used Convex Hull. And your way of using hollowed prims would reduce it even more. Especially if you are happy with the LL home interior walls option and only want one different room, or some accent walls. The accent wall in the living room would only be 0,5 LI and could be linked to another accent wall, or to a floor. This would be 1 LI totally, and a very quick and simple makeover. The dining room, the one with the dark walls, would be  only 4 LI with linked prims set to Convex Hull. And that is not bad at all. I am of the extreme kind when decorating, so every LI count for me. 😁

I worked a bit with Convex Hull on the houseboat when I was making a bathroom. That's a boat I since abandoned. ;)

It is not very easy to work with, if you will match under and over a window. It is absolutely possible, but it demands some tinkering. Technically, the dining room could be 2 LI. If one hollowed prim was placed center of the two long walls, and cut so the edges meet the doors. Then a prim over every door. 4 prims in total, 2 Li when set to Convex Hull.

That we can't change the LH at all, can be frustrating, but also rewarding. When we find a solution that works despite the limits of what we can do.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

another thing we can do when working with linked prims as wallpaper/accents/etc then instead of setting the child prims to Convex Hull and then Phantom, we can set the linked prims to Physics Shape Type: None.  It saves the system from a tiny bit of work, as when an object is set to Prim|Convex Hull + Phantom then it still has a physic shape which the system has to account for

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

another thing we can do when working with linked prims as wallpaper/accents/etc then instead of setting the child prims to Convex Hull and then Phantom, we can set the linked prims to Physics Shape Type: None.  It saves the system from a tiny bit of work, as when an object is set to Prim|Convex Hull + Phantom then it still has a physic shape which the system has to account for

What about the error message when we choose None? How is the workflow here? Is it linking all but one, set this linkset to Convex Hull and Phantom, and linking this to the last prim that is set to? I have tried different ways of working with None, and see no changes.

Clearly I am using None in the wrong way.

Edited by Marianne Little

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

OK. I just retested and you are correct -- or at least if I am understanding your question correctly. SINCE there were two prims  and I linked them, they do NOT need to be phantom.   I will go back and change that in my post. Thanks.

IF you used a hollowed cube with a path cut for that "wallpaper" wall and changed to Convex Hull then it would definitely need to be made phantom to fix the bounding box issues. 

AND REALLY THAT IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE === so I will redo that tomorrow. I can then link it to the . 8 wall I made this morning and have two walls with 1 LI. 

Thanks again!

I hope that is what you were asking.  

Yep, you got it. I wasn't sure if *I* made sense when I asked it so phew😄👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

What about the error message when we choose None? How is the workflow here? Is it linking all but one, set this linkset to Convex Hull and Phantom, and linking this to the last prim that is set to? I have tried different ways of working with None, and see no changes.

not really no, you are good.  I didn't make it clear what I was meaning

every object has to have some physics shape. With a linkset then when set Physics to None the physic shape is that of the root prim only - the error message can't set the root prim to None. the linked prims are None

a Physics None object is usually the same LI as Physics Convex Hull object, due to the way LI is calculated for the server weight.  The server weight and/or with meshes the download weight is usually greater than the physics weight in most use cases. So that greater amount is the LI

however when we do set the linked prims to None then the physics engine doesn't have to process a larger physics shape than the root prim. A linked object is usually bigger than the root prim alone

on a related matter. When we see an object blow the LI just by linking a prim then its because the new physics shape has not been resolved accurately. The fix for this is to set the linked object to None and then set it to Convex Hull if we need the whole thing to have a physics shape

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kiramanell said:

LOL. Yeah, really makes one almost despondent when thinking how little stuff I have. :) 

@Marianne Little That dining table (with the bowl of pears on it), where is that from, please? It looks very classy, especially what those chairs and all.

I have those chairs. Like @Marianne Little said, they are by Apple Fall but they are quite a catch too for they come in an extra box with the kitchen I showed (i think even in several colours) and that whole set is on the skyplatform where he has his discout articels. Don't remember exactly but I think the whole SET (also including a cupboard you can use well in ANY room) was around 300L$ - at least less than 600L$. A dining table is allso included and you can change the surface texture.

Just like you I have VERY little stuff to use for home- decoration. I am rather a miser, mostly collected freebies over the years and only seldom buying stuff and if I bought only things like a Maytreya body or meshheads - furniture didn't interest me, for I only had a tiny flat with very little prim- allowance. Only when I discovered the new Lindenhomes that changed and when PixelMode had its closing sale I bought allmost everything they offered! ... that is 90% of the stuff I use ;)

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

Just restating this a different way as while I am sure YOU know this with the "child prim" comment, I am thinking readers might not understand and get confused when they try.. 

You cannot change the root prim to NONE.  you can set all BUT the root prim to none or you can set just one prim in the linkset to none. I have used this a few time for special reasons and sometimes events want you to set most of the build (not the floor obviously) to NONE. 

And of course a SINGLE prim or piece of mesh cannot be set to NONE.  Hence my "phantom" comment in yesterday's post :D. Another option would be to let the "wallpaper" wall have correct physics.  But then there is the physics upload issue so I thought the phantom solution an easier one and just as good. IF you had a mod house you could like the wallpaper to the wall and then make the wallpaper (mine of yesterday I am going by) NONE if you like.  

Yes, it does get confusing.  

This is the exact error message you get when you try.  

"Cannot set root prim to have no shape."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Let's say you have a linkset with, say, 7 child-prims in it. All invisible and set to 'Phantom' (a linkset for lights, for instance). When you select the entire object, and set it to 'None', you will get the usual warning message, that you cannot give the root-prim a physics shape of 'None.' So, you can just safely remove 'Phantom', select the object, then hold down CtrL, and select the other linkset you want it linked too (really important to select the linkset you want the lights linked to as last). Then link them together. Now, there's still 1 more step to perform: namely, to set the root-prim of the original lights linkset to 'None' too. That's easy: just go to 'Edit linked', and press CtrL + <, which will bring you to the last link added; which, as far as the system is concerned, will be the root of the last linkset added: aka, exactly the prim you were looking for. :) Now set that one to 'None' as well, and you're done.

The same goes for a mesh object with wall-segments, of course.

N.B. Phantom is really almost obsolete: you get the effects of 'None', sans the possible LI reduction. I said 'almost', as you could find an edge-case, where you really need the entire object, root included, to be behave as 'None', and you can't link a different root to it (to stick underwater or something), because the object is non-mod, for example. Otherwise, always go with 'None.'

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

And of course a SINGLE prim or piece of mesh cannot be set to NONE.  Hence my "phantom" comment in yesterday's post :D.

There is, of course, nothing preventing one from linking the 1-piece mesh walls to another linkset (see above), and then, afterwards, set the newly added (what will now be a child-prim) to 'None'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I have those chairs. Like @Marianne Little said, they are by Apple Fall but they are quite a catch too for they come in an extra box with the kitchen I showed (i think even in several colours) and that whole set is on the skyplatform where he has his discout articels. Don't remember exactly but I think the whole SET (also including a cupboard you can use well in ANY room) was around 300L$ - at least less than 600L$. A dining table is allso included and you can change the surface texture.

Just like you I have VERY little stuff to use for home- decoration. I am rather a miser, mostly collected freebies over the years and only seldom buying stuff and if I bought only things like a Maytreya body or meshheads - furniture didn't interest me, for I only had a tiny flat with very little prim- allowance. Only when I discovered the new Lindenhomes that changed and when PixelMode had its closing sale I bought allmost everything they offered! ... that is 90% of the stuff I use ;)

Thx for all the info. :) And your homes are beautiful, btw. ❤️

As for inventory, I wouldn't say I have VERY little to chose from (I have ca. 100,000 inventory items, which is actually still pretty low). It's more that most stuff I have is crap. 😁 Or no longer up to current standards.

• Like 1

I am opening my home today and am putting it on the Home and Garden Tour.  I opted for less clutter and more garden and still have 21 prims left.  As you walk in, to the left,  is a small white bench and a picture above it that I created.  They are linked and  set for 0 L's so if you would like to have it,  feel free to take a copy.  You may also unlink them if you just want to use one piece or the other.      (photo attached)

Here's your taxi:

At Last

Gift-StayAwhile.png

• Like 13

On 7/2/2019 at 4:52 AM, Marianne Little said:

Half sand and half grass can be tricky, especially if you have the sand in the "wrong" places.

Like "all" do, I first stretched a prim to cover all my land. It looked just like it was -a grass textured prim. I was not totally happy with it. The contrast between my land and the grass/sand outside was too big.

I used some patches I bought in 2017 and then forgot. These are the "moss" patches, but tinted a bit greygreen, they work much better. They don't have that obvious straight edge. Garden without:

lawn_003.jpg.9b3b66aea4f915ad9b5764fadf05ed28.jpg

Garden with:

lawn_004.jpg.7383e61c5105b0bb92e39ed74ebcad14.jpg

And you can also use the "sand" or "dirt" patches to lighten up, if you have a totally dark green land and want some realistic driveway.

I have 2 round ones here, but I might use the squares. I had to flatten these, for some reason they are thick, so that was the first I did. These two is sized to 20 x 20 x 0.01.

Maybe an idea for you or others?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Violetility-Mesh-Ground-Covers/9300841

Edit: Compare it from a distance. The default terrain grass is a bit different from the patches, but I think it is visually better than sharp edges. It blends in better. I like it better.

lawn.thumb.jpg.d49913ad8b4bfc6dee14c39cb9076c9d.jpg

OMGGGG thank you for linking this on MP....  It looks SOOOO good, 1 simple prim transformed my sand to a nice grassy mixture and saved me 9 prims of tall grass which I wasn't super happy with.  This is a really excellent find, it blends with the sand so well!!  I am forever in your debt haha.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.