New signup page spotted! (again)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

At least that gives you choices... the new SL Signup page does not give you any choice at all.

Ahhhh -- I didn't understand (no screenshot :D).  For awhile in Sansar all newcomers came in a gray "doughboys" which was pretty bizarre from my point of view. Some folks like it. But when you saw a dozen gray doughboys (no features) all together there certainly wasn't any feeling of individualism. That didn't last too long. 

17 minutes ago, Windywinters said:

I don't see any stsrter avatars,just choose if gender

Screenshot_2019-04-14-10-19-02.png

Interesting, I don't see that on PC, and I just checked my phone, it gives me a few avatar choices and no gender option.

3 minutes ago, animats said:

So "Gender-Variant/Non-Binary" is now an avatar option? What do you get as an avatar?

Robot?

Edited by Hintswen Guardian
  • Haha 1

I had to make a new account a few days ago, and I had a choice so this must be very new. I just looked and the options that were there were new and cool the other day, today there is a picture of two gorgeous avatars not using the default provided avatars :D it definitely is fancier looking though. Maybe now it will be like building your look as part of the learning curve, which is a great idea, using the library options or perhaps you 'buy' for free from vendors so you learn how to shop and find items you buy.

8 minutes ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

Well if they are going to stick you with some random avatar...

I wondered why a random avatar. So I checked to see what Fortnite does. They issue new users a random avatar. That probably explains the change.

6 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Ahhhh -- I didn't understand (no screenshot :D).  For awhile in Sansar all newcomers came in a gray "doughboys" which was pretty bizarre from my point of view. Some folks like it. But when you saw a dozen gray doughboys (no features) all together there certainly wasn't any feeling of individualism. That didn't last too long. 

Human avatars in Sansar look like uncanny claymation gone wrong.

• Haha 1

Has anyone actually tried it? I did (on macOS):

So once I filled-in the Username and email, etc, I got this (which is normal):

NU1

After a few tries on the Username (it says when it's not available) I got this:

NU3

Clicking the download button opened the "Save As" dialog asking me where to save the disk image (Disk Image on a Mac, would be the installer EXE on Windows);

Then I logged in. It Dropped into the London City tutorial region (no wonder that place is always so high in traffic) and this is what I saw - note the CHAT:

NU4

And this is where I stopped and logged out and OOPS for not incognito-ing the cloud avatar, which I didn't notice because everything, including other avatars, rezzed amazingly FAST.

So... I'll presume at this point the end of the tutorial bit you go into a "Megastore" to choose your initial avatar and perhaps also pick up other freebie accessories, etc. To me, this actually sounds logical and sign-up was FAST. Very few steps at the web site and I am in-world very quickly and moving around. This is how it should be. Perhaps later I will actually go through the tutorial and the rest to see how it goes. But initial impression is that they seem to finally be getting it right after 16 years of trying LOL

Edit to add: I don't know if London City it the main drop point or not - I am in Washington State in the U.S. (nowhere near London - it's the opposite side of the planet from me) - so it surprised me, but only because I am an experienced user. Genuinely new users may not even bat an eye.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Well, using PC I see this sign up page on 14 April 2019 at 4:33 AM PDT

2019-04-14_SL-signup.thumb.jpg.9f215c136b90b99f1ee9424451ccc7ea.jpg

This might be a cache thing.  I pulled up my regular browser and got that page.  Then I pulled up IE, which I never use, and got what was shown further up - just selecting Gender.

I went on through and created a new account.  I got dropped into the same London City Gateway place as Alyona did.  My avatar was one of the Classic ones. I hung around the landing area for a bit and noticed people dropping in with different avatars from the 'New Avatar' selection and the 'Classic' batch.  I never saw anyone come in with a Fantasy or Vampire avatar -- maybe I'll create another new account and select the non-gender option to see what it gives me.

As I started walking, an Experience box popped up asking for permissions, but there was never anything really explaining what this was for.  Being the cautious type, if I was new, I would have said NO simply because the box basically says it can control me.
image.png.f935cf808149180005dcb6cf495279c0.png

There was one freebie stop part way through the tutorial that had 3 male items (business outfit, vest w/ rolled up sleeves, shoes) and one female top. You could click and buy for L$0, but no actual instructions for that.  At one point there was an odd looking tree and a sign that said "Win Money. Click the notes as they fall from the Money Tree", but I saw no money anywhere -- hung out there for a bit, but still nothing (there were actually a few of these trees in London City, but I never saw any money around any of them).  Nowhere else did it give me any tutorial or practice at buying things, though I did eventually see a sign that told me to click the "Buy L$" at the top of my viewer to buy L$.

I then wandered on to the Freebie Megastore.  Altamura has their Jenny and Robert avatars there.  I didn't hang out there long, but it really looked like a lot of the "freebies" were really super old stuff, many prim outfits, some of the old sculpt & mesh feet/shoe combos where you had to match skin.  There were some items labeld as 'Mesh", but absolutely nothing to tell you what that was compared to "not mesh". On the wall of the freebie store, there were some instructions on how to customize your avatar, but it was really just telling you how to pick a Classic avatar or remove your Mesh avatar to become Classic.
image.png.eb42055c4409c75d12e45fbfe920e00f.png

All in all, I actually preferred both the last LL orientation and the Firestorm orientation to this.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.