New signup page spotted! (again)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

All the ones that I saw rezzed at the entry point of London City were the same ones already in the Library and available via "Me/Avatars".  I created a couple of new accounts and both of them got Classic ones - Chris and Carla.  

Note that the second time I went to the new signup page, I did not get the Gender question.  I even closed the IE browser and cleared all cache items, but still no Gender question when I went back to the page.   The first time, I specified female and rezzed in as the Chris classic avatar. The second time, with no gender specified, I rezzed in as female with the Carla classic avatar.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

The new sign-up page looks like this right now

sl_signup_fun.thumb.png.f55f1be1db2c29846aab79ae777141d7.png

On behalf of all robots: A protest against the discrimination of robots, androids and other non-carbon based intelligent devices on this signup site! 🤖 😄

Edited by Rachel1206
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I haven't looked at the starter avs in a long time. Isn't Chris a male avatar? 

post_wtf.gif.9c11355f43513278ce254589488587ca.gif

Something is wrong with this picture.

No, Chris is female, though looks like she could fairly easily become a he.

40 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

I was offered a slightly different form to fill:image.thumb.png.5c225026d730488401a433ba7cb6550f.png

My first couple of times I went to secondlife.com, I got the signup page without any pictures - just the box in the middle of the page.  Then on the next couple of visits, I got a full image on the screen with the signup box off to the right like you show.  The most recent visit to the signup page gave me the previous version of the page:image.thumb.png.13aafd8553472de3da350b4063cbb24f.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

I was offered a slightly different form to fill:

Ah, A/B testing in progress. LL must have some new marketing people.

Starting people at London City beats starting them at those awful newbie hubs full of griefers. London City is several sims, and users can walk out of the arrival sim into a somewhat larger world. Outward traffic needs to be encouraged more; I've seen the arrival sim choking with 67 avatars.

2 hours ago, animats said:

Starting people at London City beats starting them at those awful newbie hubs full of griefers. London City is several sims, and users can walk out of the arrival sim into a somewhat larger world. Outward traffic needs to be encouraged more; I've seen the arrival sim choking with 67 avatars.

As far as I know, LL send a certain percentage of new signups to all the registered community gateway regions, such as London City & Firestorm gateways.

Wow.  It sounds like the startup process is even more fragmented than ever.  How in the world are we helper folks supposed to help newcomers if we don't even know what they have been through?

London City isn't a bad idea per se, but isn't it privately owned?  Favoritism?

The Freebie Megastore is a HORRIBLE choice.  Not only is it clearly favoritism, but it's a wretched hive of scum and villainy. (Not FMS's fault, but it's often plagued by griefers and scammers.)

• Like 3

London City's freebie store is a bad choice for a drop off point.  They are basically introducing newbs to outdated freebies from like 2007.   I went there a couple weeks ago and they still had the same stuff from when i first joined back in like 2013.  😑

It's also disingenuous to show 3rd party mesh avatars on their sign up page.  It's very misleading.

1 hour ago, Nextio said:

It's also disingenuous to show 3rd party mesh avatars on their sign up page.  It's very misleading.

Oh, I don't think so.  They're just showing what you can become, if you get into SL.  Sort of like all those cool screenshots of advanced spaceships in Elite Dangerous.

They might have removed the default avatar selection in one of their signup page variations to see if it would increase signup page conversion rate by preventing people to assume that the default avatars are the only / the best kind of avatars one can get on SL

When I kick started Ellie about a month ago, I chose the girl with the hat and the dog in a bag. I was tp'd to a Gateway sim which I hadn't seen before.

Funny thing was, it was infested with this avi, and maybe she is the default you get if you don't select one. I couldn't wait to leave this clone ridden site!!!!. And the same day I traded up....... ;)

• Like 1

So I wonder if the new signup page has anything to do with this:

And perhaps more importantly (for me at least) item 7 on that list:

7. The return of Last Names - You’ve asked for it (a lot!), so we will provide a way to customize your last name in Second Life! More details will be available later this year. (Entry posted by Linden Lab · March 21, 2018)

Edited by HelllYeah
spelling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.