Anyone yet tried to "Marie Kondo" their inventory?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought the Marie Kondo book many months ago.  I've not yet read it.  It doesn't bring me joy so I've buried it under a pile of other joyless unread books.  However, now my SL  inventory exceeds 68 thousand thingies.  Many are descriptively named "object" as in "I object to being deleted".  Many are no doubt are embued  with  "yes! copy" permissions and they live in my inventory as needless duplicates just to taunt me. Finally, there are the prim, sculpt and mesh items I've made, many which have the exact same name, but are slightly different versions (Yes, yes, I know I have it in a Blend file somewhere in RL *-on a hard drive. but....).  

According to an article I quickly perused #3 of the Kondo rules is not to let nostalgia take control.  Good luck with that.  Everything from the very first box I rezzed in 2007 to my last item has sentimental value.  Some good and some bad...but still each  sparks my memory and a lot of laughs. I live in the US of A.  I desperately need laughs.

I have less time these days for SL, but I do pop in from time to time and think about cleaning up the mess I made.  I visit a sandbox and start rezzing. By item 3 I'm exhausted.  And anyway,  I heard the old style skins, and clothes are coming back.  I've never thrown any of them out. Am I a genius ahead of my time?  (Hold your tart retorts. I don't want to hear that even a broken clock gets the time right twice a day).

Edited by Nacy Nightfire
typos
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

If I understand the Marie Kondo approach, you'd have to rez every single item in your inventory in a certain category in one place and then decide what to keep and what to get rid of. Before the auto-return hits or you run out of LI. I think you'd also have to move everything to trash and then take it back into inventory from the rez. Which would play havoc with any sort of filter by date.

And if you get rid of something and decide you really need it, you can buy it again. Now THAT is very SL

:SwingingFriends:

• Haha 1

I haven't with Blush's inventory, but I do regularly with Debi's. If something doesn't bring me joy, I delete it, quickly before I can change my mind. I've yet to regret deleting anything of hers. And it is indeed a joy not having to wade through years of junk that I never would have worn or used anyway. I keep saying I'm going to tackle Blush's inventory. But damn it's just too far gone. But I will .. one of these days.

I you rez you already have lost. :)

If you don't know what it is - delete.
If you haven't touched it in years - delete.
Don't think about it - with thousands of items that takes way too long - just click the delete button.

If you can not do that - you are doomed to have an ever growing inventory :D

• Like 6

I delete carefully and often and purge at least twice a year, keeping my inventory (with purposeful backups as I have learned from disappearances) well under 40,000 which includes all my store goods as well as all my items for LEA6 and of course clothes.  

I DO rez everything unless I recognize the item and know it is something I want to keep or something very old (not much of that left) that needs to go.  I also try on most of the clothing.   I only keep things that are still very good quality and might be needed for a photo shoot or a setup.   I have my favorite OLD hair and I think a bunny costume from my first year. Aside from that most old things are long gone. No regrets. 

I also delete OFTEN right after blogging. I keep only my favorites or again something that I think I can use in the future.  

• Like 3

I got rid of about 20K  just recently and it took days and hours of each of those days and it can be life sucking boredom, but also exciting to find things you have not seen for a while. 

What I do though is use the extra inventory windows, I have three open at once. I decide on a folder to tackle, have a planned destination for said items, and a search option . 

So I find an item, search in another window if I have more than one copy of the item, unpacked folders, packed boxes etc, and then drag to the destination. If it is something I will not wear often or use in future, then I delete the folder and keep the bag to unpack as needed. 

Because I tend to do a lot of checking/testing products for creators, I have an abundance of replicas, so just on one store alone nearly everything I have had 4 - 8 versions of the same thing. So most of that 20k was just on replicas alone, not actually purging anything. It is still the method I use all the way though

I also use the custom option in inventory and turn off everything but LMs when clearing those out, or notecards, always remembering to CTRL select not SHIFT so that you only delete that item not all between. I also make use of the NO COPY to get all gatchas sent to the store folder they belong in, it is faster, as well as age searching being a thing now, if you are out with the old in with the new, it is one of the better updates. Anything older than however many days will show and you can go wild.

• Like 2

I purged out about 30K last summer.......... sadly, I have managed to re-acquire that much and more since then.

My inventory will always win in SL.  I don't have the patience to deal with it and there is always something much more interesting to do (or buy).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Even purging extra copies counts, Sasy!  In fact, maybe purging extra copies ESPECIALLY counts!

It is decidedly so 😁

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I purged out about 30K last summer.......... sadly, I have managed to re-acquire that much and more since then.

My inventory will always win in SL.  I don't have the patience to deal with it and there is always something much more interesting to do (or buy).

Mine regrew in days, we have a theory that when you delete lots, the gremlin packages that were hiding reappear. I have deleted a few k one day, and had it increase by a few k within days...I shop lots, but not that much.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok...minor update.  Tonight I visited a random sandbox and attempted many of these excellent tips.  Then I came across those "calling cards" I'd completely forgotten about, was distracted (I'm easily distracted under these circumstances) and spent the rest of the evening reading profiles of all my old SL pals going back to the very first one a kindly more experienced avatar , no doubt half my RL age , who had patience with a first day noob who timidly ventured off her landing point.  I think I still have my first freebie outfit including a garish blingy walking stick I was so darn proud of.    

I felt both joyful remembering these friends yet terribly sad that those heady days of meeting at least one new friend a day are behind me. Although all these folks have disappeared in SL  I simply cannot bring myself delete their calling cards. <sigh>    I got very little accomplished.

• Like 5

My husband will not let me be a hoarder in RL (just today he insisted I bag up clothes to get rid of) so I make up for it in SL. 

Having a lot of inventory is fine as long as you observe limits to individual folder contents, so things will load before timing out. Or something like that.  I have old stuff in folders labeled with their approximate date range, where they bother no one, and I take comfort that the first chair I ever made is still there should I ever want to look at it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

My husband will not let me be a hoarder in RL (just today he insisted I bag up clothes to get rid of) so I make up for it in SL. 

Having a lot of inventory is fine as long as you observe limits to individual folder contents, so things will load before timing out. Or something like that.  I have old stuff in folders labeled with their approximate date range, where they bother no one, and I take comfort that the first chair I ever made is still there should I ever want to look at it. 

I had let mine get out of hand, and the folders were overrun, thankfully @Whirly Fizzle reminded me that that would be the best option for logging on the SL Viewer, as when I am too packed up I cannot, firestorm is fine, SL not so much. I did my three inventories thing and got big chunks moved and was able to log in to play with beta Baked on Mesh lol even more fun if you have an old jam packed inventory :) 

21 minutes ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

Ok...minor update.  Tonight I visited a random sandbox and attempted many of these excellent tips.  Then I came across those "calling cards" I'd completely forgotten about, was distracted (I'm easily distracted under these circumstances) and spent the rest of the evening reading profiles of all my old SL pals going back to the very first one a kindly more experienced avatar , no doubt half my RL age , who had patience with a first day noob who timidly ventured off her landing point.  I think I still have my first freebie outfit including a garish blingy walking stick I was so darn proud of.    

I felt both joyful remembering these friends yet terribly sad that those heady days of meeting at least one new friend a day are behind me. Although all these folks have disappeared in SL  I simply cannot bring myself delete their calling cards. <sigh>    I got very little accomplished.

That is adorable :)

• Like 1

I make it a habit to regularly sort my inventory and delete duplicates or trash. I scroll through my recycle bin and double check that I am not deleting unique mesh folders. Besides, it gets easier once you already have a system going and you can remember where you put something. :)

bca6a62cb4.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

90,000 items, and the only thing I have organized are my poses. :( 

I would LOVE to organize it, however my crazy brain gets so stressed out because I can’t decide if I want to sort by creator, by color, by type of object, etc. I landscape, decorate, build (ish), and do photography on top of all the skins, shapes, and clothes I have so I really just need somebody to decide for me because I’m so stressed about the organization details that I can’t get past that to actually do the thing. 

• Haha 1

Every evening when I can't shut down my brain, I resort to playing spider solitaire in the dark until I finally fall asleep.  And every time I play spider solitaire I wonder why I don't simply get up and sort my sock drawer. Why is one fun and the other annoying?  So it is with my inventory.  Did I get involved with SL because I need yet another tedious task to add to the never-ending pile of dull maintenance chores that I can't keep up with no matter how colorfully textured?  I can't come up with a rationale for appeal of the virtual task over the actual RL job.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

Every evening when I can't shut down my brain, I resort to playing spider solitaire in the dark until I finally fall asleep.  And every time I play spider solitaire I wonder why I don't simply get up and sort my sock drawer. Why is one fun and the other annoying?  So it is with my inventory.  Did I get involved with SL because I need yet another tedious task to add to the never-ending pile of dull maintenance chores that I can't keep up with no matter how colorfully textured?  I can't come up with a rationale for appeal of the virtual task over the actual RL job.

I would invite you to play Words w Friends, which is Scrabble, but the “dictionary” it uses has a whole lot of ridiculous non-words. Acceptable: adding an S to lint and kale. Seriously? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, norajulian said:

90,000 items, and the only thing I have organized are my poses.

My poses are one of the categories that I cannot figure out how to organize.  I currently a few folders - sits, laying, stands - but within them things still seem a mess, but I'll be darned if I know how to make it better.  Categories like clothing, shoes, hairs all easily sub-divide in my mind, but poses do not.

Arrgh! Poses and animations.  I have about 30 sub-folder categories in my animation folder.  The largest by far is the "File these Animations".  Plus, I have many, many more animations and poses hanging by themselves in the top Animation folder which aren't even in a sub-folder.  Many made me so happy back in the day! - such as "keel over in a dramatic faint" which was so useful when the conversation got awkward or stalled.  Folks where I used to hang out would express actual concern whenever I failed to revive myself.   The names of all of these animations and poses are so cryptic I can barely remember what's what.  I'm afraid I'll throw out something great.  But opening each one and testing it out is unbearably time consuming.

Some suggestions for categories (including the obvious):  Sit-Chair, Sit-Ground, Standing, Lying Down, Turning, Kneel, Crouch, Fly, Run, Sports( i.e. Swimming, Archery, Sunbathing, Ballet, Fighting,  push ups, etc. etc), Audience,  Couples, Hugs,  Dance, Drinking/Eating, Fainting/Play Dead, Emotional, Kitty or Animal Animations/Poses, Model Poses, Sexy, Static poses for photos, Activity Animations (hand washing, kitchen chores, cleaning activities, etc. and I have a folder for pose balls as well as Animation Tools and Gadgets for making poses in world - not sure if those still work.   However once they get sorted into these categories, They are still undecipherable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My poses are one of the categories that I cannot figure out how to organize.  I currently a few folders - sits, laying, stands - but within them things still seem a mess, but I'll be darned if I know how to make it better.  Categories like clothing, shoes, hairs all easily sub-divide in my mind, but poses do not.

I have mine separated by groups, family groups, doubles,  singles (male, female, boudoir, and kids), backgrounds, and propped poses. I top it by having sample photos of each taken and labeled in my Dropbox so I can see an easy preview. My poses are easier to organize because I do have SO many and because I do wedding and event photography on top of my personal studios, so they kind of organize themselves. 

• Like 1

I am doing kind of Marie Kondo way of cleaning my inventory, but I am not inspired by her book or anything. It's mostly that I am frustrated when I don't know where are things I am looking for and I have a lot of random objects and folders which don't yet belong to the main groups of folders I created (avatar clothing, avatar body and head, house and garden). Then I usually start from one unsorted group - for example everything which automatically lands in Object folder - and check one by one. If i still like it, I keep it, otherwise it goes to trash. This way I am usually between 11 to 13 K objects and I still think I have many of those I don't really use but for some reason I keep them. 

From the other hand, I try to buy things only if I really like them (and in case of clothes, if they really fit), I usually don't take free gifts and freebies or don't buy many 1 L$ objects, because they are often - not always - of poor quality and having them only because they are cheap is the easy way to make the pile of random stuffs grow rapidly. 

Not that I am well organised and I plan to do it every month, no. It is usually driven by frustration and done step by step, day by day, part by part. But it works... at least for couple of weeks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.