Jump to content
angelikiinha

Weird things happening (harassment?)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I feel idiot asking it, but since I still kind of new...

Some days ago, Ive met a guy in a place, and he was a *ick, so the next time he talked to me, in the same place, I blocked him. It's a 9 years old av, very experient user.

Everytime I return to that place (it's a sandbox), he is there, I can see his sillhoutte. And he sees me too, even blocked, because his av comes running to me, and then my av starts flying around like crazy, out of control. Everytime I reenter the sim, same thing: the guy run in my direction, and my av starts moving like crazy, then fly very high.

Is it possible to someone else to be doing it to me as a harassment "vengeance"? This is the place http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sensual%20Sundae/228/252/22 Of course I will not publish the name of the guy, since I'm not sure. But its weird...

Edited by angelikiinha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it’s quite possible. Some people are just not well upstairs, some are trolls, and some are both. I’d advise reporting the avatar and using movelock and/or sitting to prevent his pushing you around, but otherwise giving absolutely nothing in the way of a reaction. Most end up boring of it and picking a different target.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some also call this "griefing" (or "griefer"). Some of the most common types of targeted griefing include..

  • locking you into an object, preventing you from moving
  • pushing you around, sometimes very high into the air ("orbiting")
  • rezzing objects that follow you on the sim, often spamming chat or playing loud sounds or blocking your view

But doing these is not possible in many places. Pushing (by scripts) is disabled in most places, and rezzing objects at all is relatively uncommon outside of sandboxes.

Any kind of harassment or severe disturbing of peace is not allowed, and you can file an Abuse Report (AR) about the person. Blocking them only prevents you from seeing them and their messages, but they can see you normally and might not even realize you've blocked them. You can also sit on the ground by pressing Ctrl Alt S, this prevents anything from moving you at all.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This also sounds like the location you're visiting is owned by that person, and rather than ban you from it, they're using the function to 'orbit' someone off of the land.

The whole ting about being sent flying into the air... is oddly a feature built into SL as something they decided to give as a power to people who have control over a spot of land. It's not commonly used. Most people just ban someone they don't want around. But it is there, and it's an officially supported feature of 'land ownership'... so it's not griefing. (orbit = eject, and yes, it will send you flying into the sky)

 

I suggest not going to that place.

EDIT: Checked on the map and yes, that is private land.

Here's the location of a public linden owned sandbox: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sandbox Goguen/158/119/2

If you need a sandbox on 'adult' land, there are some linden owned ones for people with Premium accounts: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sandbox Goyer/120/128/2

- but it's pretty easy to just use one of the 'g rated' ones instead for most things.

 

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The whole ting about being sent flying into the air... is oddly a feature built into SL as something they decided to give as a power to people who have control over a spot of land. It's not commonly used. Most people just eject or ban someone they don't want around. But it is there, and it's an officially supported feature of 'land ownership'... so it's not griefing.

That's news to me. Where can I find it?

I would say that it doesn't exist - unless it's something that private estate owners have. It certainly doesn't exist for mainland owners. And what would be the point of it when the victim comes back down to the land?

Edited by Phil Deakins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's news to me. Where can I find it?

I would say that it doesn't exist - unless it's something that private estate owners have. It certainly doesn't exist for mainland owners. And what would be the point of it when the victim comes back down to the land?

You never heard of “orbiting”, therefore it doesn’t exist. Got it!

B9DFAF61-373F-4B65-B65B-315497E949E7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You never heard of “orbiting”, therefore it doesn’t exist. Got it!

B9DFAF61-373F-4B65-B65B-315497E949E7.jpeg

I would say that he's heard of "orbiting" but not of a hard-coded function that allows landowners to orbit someone due to their status as landowners, which it certainly looked like Pussycat was saying. My best guess as to why he never heard of said function is because it doesn't exist.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

My best guess as to why he never heard of said function is because it doesn't exist.

Or you could try right clicking anyone on your own land and doing it...

I had the name off a bit, but not the effect. I've seen it referred to as orbiting someone so often - and it's even called that if you search google or the lsl wiki. But if you right click someone you can orbit them - sending them flying into the sky, with eject.

Phil just likes to be an idiot and troll people, knowing full well the concept I described exists.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Or you could try right clicking anyone on your own land and doing it...

I had the name off a bit, but not the effect. I've seen it referred to as orbiting someone so often - and it's even called that if you search google or the lsl wiki. But if you right click someone you can orbit them - sending them flying into the sky, with eject.

Phil just likes to be an idiot and troll people, knowing full well the concept I described exists.

 

An "eject" instantly moves the ejected avatar to just outside of the parcel lines a certain distance into the air (probably no more than 15 meters or so), whereupon the ejected avatar will drop down to the ground. There's no "launch" from the ground as described.

And my testing alt would like to have a word with you...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I would say that he's heard of "orbiting" but not of a hard-coded function that allows landowners to orbit someone due to their status as landowners, which it certainly looked like Pussycat was saying. My best guess as to why he never heard of said function is because it doesn't exist.

I don’t disagree! But maybe some viewer has it. I don’t claim to know everything, and give Pussycat the benefit of the doubt. All such a function has to do is Rez a universal orbiter..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's news to me. Where can I find it?

I would say that it doesn't exist - unless it's something that private estate owners have. It certainly doesn't exist for mainland owners. And what would be the point of it when the victim comes back down to the land?

Never mind, I misunderstood what you meant, but I'll leave the rest of my reply anyway

You can orbit someone in any place that you are allowed to rezz, on estate or mainland, owner or not. Drop by my mainland place sometime and I'll show you, assuming the hornets don't get you first.

Of course if you do it on land you don't own, and do it without permission, then it is considered griefing.

So, I would never ever do it.

:)

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
Added a line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are being orbited sitting on the ground or an object will stop that, using the feature "force ground sit" ctrl + alt + s (in firestorm) can be very useful such griefer tools can be used where rezzing is not allowed when I used to get "orbited" it was in the realms and only used to try and get me sent home but by enabling the ground sit as soon as it happened the griefer would get sent home. Elsewhere you'd have to wait till the griefer gets fed up as I'm sure tping away didnt stop it

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Some also call this "griefing" (or "griefer"). Some of the most common types of targeted griefing include..

  • locking you into an object, preventing you from moving
  • pushing you around, sometimes very high into the air ("orbiting")
  • rezzing objects that follow you on the sim, often spamming chat or playing loud sounds or blocking your view

But doing these is not possible in many places. Pushing (by scripts) is disabled in most places, and rezzing objects at all is relatively uncommon outside of sandboxes.

Any kind of harassment or severe disturbing of peace is not allowed, and you can file an Abuse Report (AR) about the person. Blocking them only prevents you from seeing them and their messages, but they can see you normally and might not even realize you've blocked them. You can also sit on the ground by pressing Ctrl Alt S, this prevents anything from moving you at all.

This ^^^ locking you into an object is quite worrying?

What's the way out? What if you log out and back in at home for example?? Does it require a report to the Lindens???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

This ^^^ locking you into an object is quite worrying?

Caging.  So you teleport out.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

This ^^^ locking you into an object is quite worrying?

What's the way out? What if you log out and back in at home for example?? Does it require a report to the Lindens???

Every little thing someone "does" to you doesn't require a report to the Lindens.

Just laugh or roll your eyes and tp out.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BelindaN said:

Ok, good to know you can tp away............happier now!

I didn't know this when I first came to SL and it was very bad.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Donna Underall said:

I didn't know this when I first came to SL and it was very bad.  

There's way too much I don't know about this place!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Every little thing someone "does" to you doesn't require a report to the Lindens.

Just laugh or roll your eyes and tp out.

 

While I'm sure that the Lindens receive all sorts of ARs that they are unnecessary or merely malicious, it is, on the whole, in their interest (and that of SL as a whole) to prevent obnoxious idiots from preying on people, particularly noobs who may not understand the actual nature of what has happened to them.

In addition to that, though . . . there is a sort of solipsistic and limiting tendency for people to assume that their reactions to things are "the norm," or the only "reasonable" way to respond to things that might happen. Such people tend to judge those whose experiences, and emotional makeup, might be different from theirs with a rather unforgiving and ungenerous harshness.

You are in a position, BilliJo, to accurately appraise how you would response emotionally to this kind of griefing. It is, for what it's worth, probably also how I would respond. But there are people here, for a wide and very real set of possible reasons, who might find an experience like this triggering or upsetting to a degree that you are clearly incapable of imagining. Who are you or I to decide, working from utter ignorance of their circumstances, that they are being "unreasonable"?

You might try deploying a bit of empathy and generosity here, before dismissing everyone who doesn't share your particular brand of emotional "strength" a "special snowflake." You actually lose not a thing by behaving with a bit of generosity instead of judgmentally.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

While I'm sure that the Lindens receive all sorts of ARs that they are unnecessary or merely malicious, it is, on the whole, in their interest (and that of SL as a whole) to prevent obnoxious idiots from preying on people, particularly noobs who may not understand the actual nature of what has happened to them.

In addition to that, though . . . there is a sort of solipsistic and limiting tendency for people to assume that their reactions to things are "the norm," or the only "reasonable" way to respond to things that might happen. Such people tend to judge those whose experiences, and emotional makeup, might be different from theirs with a rather unforgiving and ungenerous harshness.

You are in a position, BilliJo, to accurately appraise how you would response emotionally to this kind of griefing. It is, for what it's worth, probably also how I would respond. But there are people here, for a wide and very real set of possible reasons, who might find an experience like this triggering or upsetting to a degree that you are clearly incapable of imagining. Who are you or I to decide, working from utter ignorance of their circumstances, that they are being "unreasonable"?

You might try deploying a bit of empathy and generosity here, before dismissing everyone who doesn't share your particular brand of emotional "strength" a "special snowflake." You actually lose not a thing by behaving with a bit of generosity instead of judgmentally.

When did I ever say snowflake since  I returned? 

I'm trying to be as compassionate and understanding as possible.

Didn't I even recently start two threads soliciting feedback on if I might be crossing the line by doing things I thought were actually not unacceptable?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sandboxes can be just as bad as info hubs when it comes to trolling and griefing.

Just find another one; it’s just a sandbox. There are hundreds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Sandboxes can be just as bad as info hubs when it comes to trolling and griefing.

Just find another one; it’s just a sandbox. There are hundreds.

Sandboxes would be far worse, because you can't rezz at info hubs, but anything is possible at a sandbox

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

When did I ever say snowflake since  I returned?

well, I was referencing your apparent attitude, rather than your specific language. But sure, ok! Acknowledged!

45 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'm trying to be as compassionate and understanding as possible.

YAY! You go, girl!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...