Weird things happening (harassment?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That's fine. She can do option 1, plus sit on something and carry on whilst totally ignoring him.

I asked, though, because there's been a fair amount of talk about revenge, as though the OP wants revenge, so I asked if she'd said that that's what she wants. If she didn't, why is even being mentioned?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's fine. She can do option 1, plus sit on something and carry on whilst totally ignoring him.

I asked, though, because there's been a fair amount of talk about revenge, as though the OP wants revenge, so I asked if she'd said that that's what she wants. If she didn't, why is even being mentioned?

Likely because it's a very real possibility. We don't know how honest the OP is/is being. Humans have been known to "hide the truth from themselves". The OP may be out for revenge and not even realize it. I'm not saying the OP isn't being honest. I'm saying we can never know for certain and that humans aren't always aware of their own motives.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

If she didn't, why is even being mentioned?

Some people's minds leap more readily to thoughts of revenge than others do.  I suppose that accounts for at least some of the rationale for carrying concealed weapons and for the popularity of Home Alone type movies that encourage responses that go beyond mere defense.  Revenge is a predictable human response to being wronged, even if it's generally counterproductive.  Personally, I prefer Mr. Myagi's approach .... "Best defense: not be there."

• Like 2

In reply to both the previous posts...

In that case, there is absolutely no reason to treat the OP as wanting revenge, and the idea ought never to have come up - not without the OP giving that sort of impression. It's downright wrong, imo, and shows the nature of some of this forum's users up no end. Words actually fail me.

• Thanks 1

It might say more about the people who responded here than it does about what the OP asked, I suppose.  My point was that revenge is a pretty common human reaction, so it would be disingenuous to leave it out of the discussion.  It's worth mentioning, if only to discourage it as a bad idea.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

I don't think anyone said outright that the OP wanted revenge. It was merely mentioned as a possible motivation for not wanting to leave the location. It's a discussion so discussing all possible avenues isn't an accusation unless you choose to take it as one.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 12:53 AM, norajulian said:

But where is any of the satisfaction of giving the bully a taste of his own medicine? I was taught to treat others as they treat me, so I really need to learn how to cage people, Lindal. When is THAT class? 

:o 

That's one I don't teach, and in the Safety class I DO teach, I emphasize that "getting back" at someone is very risky.  They can then Abuse Report YOU and maybe get you suspended or banned.

Having said that, "giving them a taste of their own medicine" can indeed be very satisfying.  Just not, in general, very wise.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This post is old and as a record, problem solved: the guy hasn't appeared anymore. Yes, I reported him, no idea if it worked or not. I still using that sandbox.

I just want to politely, no drama, say I got surprised to see how many people accused me (and by extension, any similar view of the problem) of being 'dramatic' and looking for 
'revenge'.

Of course I'm not so experienced as most of you in SL. I thought that, as a community, people should work to not only avoid, but get rid of those who tries to ruin others' experience for personal fun. That's why I was asking if I should report him or not: maybe reporting griefers could lead to a ban or something. It's not 'revenge', it's not for personal satisfaction -- more like "let's prevent such kinds to do it again and again and again".

Ok? Thank you for the tips, some lessons learned here (hope I don't sound 'dramatic' again posting it... ;)).

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, angelikiinha said:

This post is old and as a record, problem solved: the guy hasn't appeared anymore. Yes, I reported him, no idea if it worked or not. I still using that sandbox.

I just want to politely, no drama, say I got surprised to see how many people accused me (and by extension, any similar view of the problem) of being 'dramatic' and looking for 
'revenge'.

Of course I'm not so experienced as most of you in SL. I thought that, as a community, people should work to not only avoid, but get rid of those who tries to ruin others' experience for personal fun. That's why I was asking if I should report him or not: maybe reporting griefers could lead to a ban or something. It's not 'revenge', it's not for personal satisfaction -- more like "let's prevent such kinds to do it again and again and again".

Ok? Thank you for the tips, some lessons learned here (hope I don't sound 'dramatic' again posting it... ;)).

I can't speak for anyone else and my previous posts in this thread may not indicate it, but, you did have my support in whatever decision you made. Frankly, I was hoping you would AR the @$$. 

LL does tend to start suspending and banning those they receive quite a few ARs on. While I can't seem to find it now*, LL does follow a set of "rules". Suspensions start at 24 hours (1 day) and increase by 24 hours with each suspension. Once suspensions reach a total of five (if I remember correctly) then the account is permabanned.

Sometimes it can take years to be permabanned as was the case of a certain creator who kept using copyrighted/trademarked logos of well known RL motorcycle manufacturers**.  Most of the time though, it doesn't take long.

*Seems to have been removed from the wiki.

**I'd link to the thread where the creator was raising hell about it on another forum but the archives are not up. Yet. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.