September 2018 - A Conversation with Linden Lab CEO Ebbe Altberg

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

.. And again...  Whirly is Magic!

Looked at the Jira, unable to add a comment -- or figure out how?     But to add to what Oz asked.   With using MOAP and the Browser type controls.   It is much easier for the end user (Land Owner and Guests) to change the URL.   Example being Youtube.com/some video to Youtube.com/another video and use the MOAP whitelist for the domain to keep the selections within reason.

If you want to do that using parcel media,   you have to script a dohicky that has all the preapproved URLs listed and a dialog to choose it.   

(and forgot this)

Regarding the MOAP fix,  you might want to include in LlSetPrimMediaParams ( PRIM_MEDIA_PERMS_INTERACT)  a   PRIM_MEDIA_PERM_LAND as additional option.    This would allow for guests to work the screen without any clicky neighbor drama.   Already added a locked mode to my screens, so is no biggie.   But something as silly as friends watching and making rude comments about youtube vids can be some fun times (reason to get some land)

Edited by KathrynLisbeth
forgot something
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, KathrynLisbeth said:

Looked at the Jira, unable to add a comment -- or figure out how?

Unfortunately BUG JIRA issues are locked down to only accept comments from the issue filer by default.
This is because of problems with bot accounts that regularly spam the JIRA issues.
To request access to be able to comment on BUG JIRA issues that you did not file, you need to send an email to LetMeIn at lindenlab dot com and request comment access on the JIRA  :)

Question for Ebbe:  

What does "SSP" stand for and what is Patch and mole friends (that's an assumption) working on over there. We have a non-paying out "pool" going and inquiring minds want to know - LOL.

Maybe though we will have figured it out in two weeks AND it will be the central topic of the talk. 

Yes, I sometimes have ESP. 

16 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Ohhh Qie this brings up a nice question:

What is the Lab's take on users storing other user's usernames in external databases without their consent? There has been some debate recently wether this is legal by the GDPR laws. (As only you, the Lab, know who is EU based I see a lot of legal pitfalls here)

You mean like writing other peoples usernames down on a piece of paper by your computer?

9 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I actually figured this was intended for some reason so I never bothered reporting it, so glad it's actually a bug.

Wouldn't it be interesting to replace the picks area on our profile with a picks/wishlist . most picks on peoples profiles are empty and pick could mean I.E  places id like to be taken on a date ect . and I love seeing everyones wishlist . just the online ones 1. make me a bit  nervy about clicking links  2. I notice not many people use or even know about the wishlist option ,,( love shopping from other peoples wishlists)

Apple plans to deprecate OpenGL in macOS 10.14 Mojave, and remove it entirely in subsequent versions of macOS. This means, as currently designed, SL viewers will stop working on the latest version of macOS in about a year.

Does Linden Lab intend to support Apple's Metal 3d graphics framework and continue offering a Second Life viewer for Macintosh computers?

• Haha 1

Hello.  Is there a way that Linden Labs can separate out Gacha's (maybe give them their own tab) from regular Marketplace sold items?  The gacha's are flooding marketplace and choking out regular filter/search options.  People cannot even search by "newest first" cause it will just pop up a bunch of gatcha's.   LL also needs to address the mislabeling of tags on Marketplace.  If I am searching makeup, items for dogs should not be popping up.   Thanks!!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Abfab Hax said:

Hello.  Is there a way that Linden Labs can separate out Gacha's (maybe give them their own tab) from regular Marketplace sold items?  The gacha's are flooding marketplace and choking out regular filter/search options.  People cannot even search by "newest first" cause it will just pop up a bunch of gatcha's.   LL also needs to address the mislabeling of tags on Marketplace.  If I am searching makeup, items for dogs should not be popping up.   Thanks!!

It would be nice to have a filter on the left side of the page to include/exclude listings for limited quantities items. Somewhere among the price range, land impact and permissions filters.

• Like 7

I have a question! If it's possible to answer, I had heard something about Second Life servers moving onto the cloud... If this is true I was curious if this was something we might see in the near future or if you guys are working on something similar for stability. Thank you for your time and I although I've only been on Second Life a short time, I've really enjoyed it! 

Question: What is Linden Lab's plan for increasing region performance? We have seen a DRASTIC reduction of performance in the past 12 months resulting in a massive increase in server side lag which appears to be caused by a reduction of CPU / Memory / or something on the server side (maybe putting more regions on a physical server.) The net result is that all the new SL features for scripted content (Experiences, etc) are for naught if the region is performing so slowly that scripts can't run. Existing venues are now almost unusable. In a similar vein, there is a long standing bug which pretty much freezes a region for 15-20 seconds when avatars TP in and out which is DEADLY to busy regions.

The bottom line with region performance is that the current situation makes popular destinations nearly impossible to enjoy. Popular destinations are what MAKE SL as it's all about being a social platform. You can't be a social platform if you can't handle the server load caused by a lot of people getting together!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Serrakinthe said:

I have a question! If it's possible to answer, I had heard something about Second Life servers moving onto the cloud... If this is true I was curious if this was something we might see in the near future or if you guys are working on something similar for stability. Thank you for your time and I although I've only been on Second Life a short time, I've really enjoyed it! 

you can try "search" at every community page, i'm pretty sure the posts/blogs/ announcements about the changes to come will show up somewhere.
Might be some excersize :) .. somtimes keywords bring up interesting, but not very relating subjects.
About moving to the cloud and other changes in the pipeline are all announced and talked about in the, not so far, past.

Question for Ebbe:

When last names are released once more. I know you have said that previously used names will not be available but I feel that those of us with last named avatars should be able to revert back to our original names if we ever did choose to or felt we had made a mistake. Will you make this a possibility?. There could be people out there who change their name only to realise a few months later that they have made a mistake and wish to revert to their original legacy username.

On 8/27/2018 at 9:01 AM, Qie Niangao said:

This gets at an important technicality here: If the Lab didn't provide a way to track identities through username changes, others would. Private "whitepages" databases provided name-to-key lookup for years before the Lab's very recent introduction of llName2Key() and llRequestUserKey(), and we can be sure those services would have been provided privately if the Lab had not assumed the responsibility. It's just a matter of efficiency that the Lab does it, rather than the kludgy, stalkery way it had to be done otherwise.

(And yeah, it has to be done, one way or another. I'm sure there are innocent reasons to want to start afresh with a new identity--while keeping all one's old inventory--but there are plenty of nefarious reasons, too.)

Had not really thought of that , couldnt buy a name if i had a previous sl bann , my id would show up to linden labs but yes i can see how not being able to tell if a person is the same one you met before and had trouble with , stalkers win both ways though . wither your traceable or not 

How about long abandoned build from the moles or just unused areas (islands etc) could be built up in partnership with the amazing designers we have in SL already? This would be by invitation only and there would need to be a prim limit on it of course. In turn, they could put an inconspicuous  sign on the island with their name and perhaps a LM.  This would take the work off the moles and help really beautify some of the areas that are currently unused or under-used. It would also show SL residents, new and old ,  and showcase what is possible.

Just now, Heathernorton said:

How about long abandoned build from the moles or just unused areas (islands etc) could be built up in partnership with the amazing designers we have in SL already? This would be by invitation only and there would need to be a prim limit on it of course. In turn, they could put an inconspicuous  sign on the island with their name and perhaps a LM.  This would take the work off the moles and help really beautify some of the areas that are currently unused or under-used. It would also show SL residents, new and old ,  and showcase what is possible.

Where are the FIC when you need them? :D

• Haha 2

On 8/28/2018 at 7:02 PM, Abfab Hax said:

most of the time if you select "Copy" it will eliminate the gachas as they are transfer only, assuming they were marked correctly. But I still think their own tab would be great! 

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2018 at 2:15 AM, Ethan Paslong said:

you can try "search" at every community page, i'm pretty sure the posts/blogs/ announcements about the changes to come will show up somewhere.
Might be some excersize :) .. somtimes keywords bring up interesting, but not very relating subjects.
About moving to the cloud and other changes in the pipeline are all announced and talked about in the, not so far, past.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:47 AM, Sharie Criss said:

Question: What is Linden Lab's plan for increasing region performance? We have seen a DRASTIC reduction of performance in the past 12 months resulting in a massive increase in server side lag which appears to be caused by a reduction of CPU / Memory / or something on the server side (maybe putting more regions on a physical server.) The net result is that all the new SL features for scripted content (Experiences, etc) are for naught if the region is performing so slowly that scripts can't run. Existing venues are now almost unusable. In a similar vein, there is a long standing bug which pretty much freezes a region for 15-20 seconds when avatars TP in and out which is DEADLY to busy regions.

The bottom line with region performance is that the current situation makes popular destinations nearly impossible to enjoy. Popular destinations are what MAKE SL as it's all about being a social platform. You can't be a social platform if you can't handle the server load caused by a lot of people getting together!!!

Well I have seen 300 fps (and yes I was shocked) on my three year old desktop with three avatars on. So I am not quite getting the things are worse scenario. The venues that I am in are running well. 

Could it possibly be on YOUR end?  

18 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well I have seen 300 fps (and yes I was shocked) on my three year old desktop with three avatars on. So I am not quite getting the things are worse scenario. The venues that I am in are running well. 

Could it possibly be on YOUR end?  

Clearly you were looking at your viewer's FPS not the server FPS. You can have 300FPS and still have terrible region performance.

1 hour ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

Clearly you were looking at your viewer's FPS not the server FPS. You can have 300FPS and still have terrible region performance.

Clearly, but I run a region also and have no issues there.  Actually I don't seem to ever have any issues anywhere I go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Clearly, but I run a region also and have no issues there.  Actually I don't seem to ever have any issues anywhere I go. 

You've never been in a hugely busy shopping event when someone TPs in? It's a good 2-3 second freeze each time.

Edit: Almost the first of the month, so it's a good time to test it. Watch Seraphim, get one of the huge ones and walk laps to see it.

Edited by Callum Meriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.