Jump to content
Linden Lab

September 2018 - A Conversation with Linden Lab CEO Ebbe Altberg

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

You've never been in a hugely busy shopping event when someone TPs in? It's a good 2-3 second freeze each time.

Edit: Almost the first of the month, so it's a good time to test it. Watch Seraphim, get one of the huge ones and walk laps to see it.

Yes, I have. I guess I am just lucky. I have jellydolls turned up but other than that  (which apparently is not what the person I responded to is talking about since she is blaming the server) I don't do anything special. I frequently check out events when they are newly opened.  I move out of the landing point as soon as I can but I don't have any major issues. 

No explanation but apparently the problem isn't a problem for everyone. 

And honestly I don't think that it is The Lab's responsibility to make all events easy to see. Much of that responsibility goes to the people that design the sims and run the events.  There are many steps that some (not all) could take to make things easier.

AND the folks VISITING could do their part too. In the olden days we all went to big events (Hair Fair comes to mind) almost naked and without hair. NO ONE WILL DO THAT ANY LONGER and they come decked out to the nines (I am almost always around 43,000 on the avatar rendering and RARELY over 50,000).   Put ALL THAT together  and you can have an issue. Blaming it ALL on the server is pretty ridiculous in my book.

If the event coordinators would limit entrance to under 50K that would help a lot. That they don't and then some  people come in at  200,000  --- 

well that's my point. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

some  people come in at  200,000 

thats even low...

300/400 ... pets, blings... sounds./music.. gestures..... oh wow the place is laggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yes, I have. I guess I am just lucky. I have jellydolls turned up but other than that  (which apparently is not what the person I responded to is talking about since she is blaming the server) I don't do anything special. I frequently check out events when they are newly opened.  I move out of the landing point as soon as I can but I don't have any major issues. 

No explanation but apparently the problem isn't a problem for everyone. 

And honestly I don't think that it is The Lab's responsibility to make all events easy to see. Much of that responsibility goes to the people that design the sims and run the events.  There are many steps that some (not all) could take to make things easier.

AND the folks VISITING could do their part too. In the olden days we all went to big events (Hair Fair comes to mind) almost naked and without hair. NO ONE WILL DO THAT ANY LONGER and they come decked out to the nines (I am almost always around 43,000 on the avatar rendering and RARELY over 50,000).   Put ALL THAT together  and you can have an issue. Blaming it ALL on the server is pretty ridiculous in my book.

If the event coordinators would limit entrance to under 50K that would help a lot. That they don't and then some  people come in at  200,000  --- 

well that's my point. 

 

Then you have experienced it but don't even know what you are looking for. I can tell generally guess if a region is within 25-50%, 50-75 or 75-100% scripts run based on how certain HUD's react without even checking region statistics. I can do this because my HUD's are coded so efficiently that even slight delays are noticeable to me. These delays are purely caused by the region performance being so low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 5:58 AM, Ethan Paslong said:

and i sometimes wonder if people ever read the blogposts, past postings... your questions are already answered a year ago.

There is no need to be insulting.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

There is no need to be insulting.

you'r so right,

but guessing you didn't like my remark at yours in the employment section?

Edited by Ethan Paslong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 8:28 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you got 2 years at a saving of $100 a month. That's $2400. I've forgotten how much the buy-down cost, but I'm sure it was nowhere near that much - $1000 maybe? The sums say that you made a big gain. If it was much more than $1000, then my inclination would be in your favour, but not about transfer fees.

Why should the transfer fee be any different to everyone else's? You were offered reduced tier - nothing else. Do the original grandfathered sims have a lower transfer fee? If they do, I'd agree with you about it.

I sell my sim for 300 usd. transfer fee 600 usd= 900 usd,, who is going to pay this for 50 a month savings,, you must have not got caught in this or you would be singing a different tune.It cost me 1200 usd to purchase the sim. 600 and 600 buy down. keep you shovel out where you have no ***** to shovel. sorry it makes me angry that people that have no dog in the fight tell me I am wrong

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, dunsmore said:

I sell my sim for 300 usd. transfer fee 600 usd= 900 usd,, who is going to pay this for 50 a month savings,, you must have not got caught in this or you would be singing a different tune.It cost me 1200 usd to purchase the sim. 600 and 600 buy down. keep you shovel out where you have no ***** to shovel. sorry it makes me angry that people that have no dog in the fight tell me I am wrong

 

I bought some too, more then you it seems, so I "have a dog int he race" and I think you are wrong.

It was 1200 for just one region, and as a result we save $100 a month on teir for just one region. Over 2 years we saved $2400, less the 1200 start, means 1200 in our pockets (unless you were renting out less then cost, which is your fault). Honestly, if you were not renting at a loss, you can just abandon the region and still be $1200 ahead.

Sure, I would like cheaper transfer fees so I can make more profit, but meh. If it means that the prices drop across the board then it's better for everyone.

Edited by Callum Meriman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dunsmore said:

I sell my sim for 300 usd. transfer fee 600 usd= 900 usd,, who is going to pay this for 50 a month savings,, you must have not got caught in this or you would be singing a different tune.It cost me 1200 usd to purchase the sim. 600 and 600 buy down. keep you shovel out where you have no ***** to shovel. sorry it makes me angry that people that have no dog in the fight tell me I am wrong

What Callum said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 11:14 PM, Chic Aeon said:

And honestly I don't think that it is The Lab's responsibility to make all events easy to see.

Not even “Official Events”? That makes for very poor advertising to anyone “new” or or who comes in from the news media to report on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ebbe Question : Do you have a rough idea on when grid wide experiences will be released?. Will it be this year or more likely next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 11:14 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Yes, I have. I guess I am just lucky. I have jellydolls turned up but other than that  (which apparently is not what the person I responded to is talking about since she is blaming the server) I don't do anything special. I frequently check out events when they are newly opened.  I move out of the landing point as soon as I can but I don't have any major issues. 

No explanation but apparently the problem isn't a problem for everyone. 

And honestly I don't think that it is The Lab's responsibility to make all events easy to see. Much of that responsibility goes to the people that design the sims and run the events.  There are many steps that some (not all) could take to make things easier.

AND the folks VISITING could do their part too. In the olden days we all went to big events (Hair Fair comes to mind) almost naked and without hair. NO ONE WILL DO THAT ANY LONGER and they come decked out to the nines (I am almost always around 43,000 on the avatar rendering and RARELY over 50,000).   Put ALL THAT together  and you can have an issue. Blaming it ALL on the server is pretty ridiculous in my book.

If the event coordinators would limit entrance to under 50K that would help a lot. That they don't and then some  people come in at  200,000  --- 

well that's my point. 

 

If you limit entry to under 50 K, 90% of the population wouldn't get in. I never reduce my scripts when a script monitor tells me to, I'd never reduce my complexity to go anywhere either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question (and I am sure its been bought up before, but I would like to hear the labs reasoning on this).

Why not open up homestead regions to everyone instead of forcing people to take up a full prim region first? It seems this rule has been in place a long long time now.. The lab would see a much larger adoption of homesteads being leased direct if they were to change the rule. Most people cannot afford to pay the cost of a full prim region + a homestead... And not everyone wants a full prim region.

PS: I'm aware there are private rentals in world via people like the chungs... I  just would rather be giving my money to the lab direct instead of helping to make some estate tycoon rich. So I am curious whether there are any plans to change the rules as to who can take up a homestead direct with the lab.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mygoditsfullofstars said:

My question (and I am sure its been bought up before, but I would like to hear the labs reasoning on this).

Why not open up homestead regions to everyone instead of forcing people to take up a full prim region first? It seems this rule has been in place a long long time now.. The lab would see a much larger adoption of homesteads being leased direct if they were to change the rule. Most people cannot afford to pay the cost of a full prim region + a homestead... And not everyone wants a full prim region.

PS: I'm aware there are private rentals in world via people like the chungs... I  just would rather be giving my money to the lab direct instead of helping to make some estate tycoon rich. So I am curious whether there are any plans to change the rules as to who can take up a homestead direct with the lab.

 

 

^^ This is one of my biggest desires for SL: I currently privately rent a homestead, which is the perfect mix of size/cost/privacy - but I'm unable to set up a sane billing process to give LL money directly for it, instead having to go via a third party landlord!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ebbe, I'd like to ask if there are any plans to regulate the mainland continents. Sky buildings litter the skyline and a lot of them are so low you cannot get them off your draw distance without lowering it to a pathetic distance that has you unable to see much. Ban lines disrupt any real exploring especially if you happen to fly. Some people only set orbs at 1sec which baffles me.. I have a orb, its set to scan up 100 meters from the lowest part of my mainland plot. I've no reason to claim any airspace between 100 and say 500 meters, so leave it open for the pilots. Linden protected flying space maybe?  

Also sailing paths! Are you able to widen the linden water passages that surround the main continents?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2018 at 2:28 PM, Vanity Fair said:

(Ryan Schultz from Sansar here, hi Ebbe!)

My question for you is: when will Second Life Premium users be able to select a new first name-last name combination?

To add to this question: 

1. After paying for a premium account, how much will the additional charge be to change the surname? 
2. If your premium membership expires, does your surname revert (for Legacy accounts) or disappear (for post-Legacy accounts)?
3. Will there be an additional fee to change first names (or account names for post-Legacy accounts) when changing your surname?
4. What are some other limitations LL will implement to prevent people from abusing this feature? Will there be limits on the number of times per year you can make these changes? Will there be a tiered charge (as in the cost increases for every time the change is made)? 
5. Would you consider a system to share surnames between LL partners (say, if a couple has been partnered for X months/years, they are given the option to share an existing surname)? 
6. How will the list of surnames be generated? Are you taking suggestions? 
7. When is this actually happening? The language used originally was "later this year", and now it is "more details later this year". Does this mean next year? 
8. Will changes/requests for changes be reviewed and approved or denied by staff, or will it simply be at the whim of the user and based on availability and fees? 

Thanks. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Galeen Galli said:

1. After paying for a premium account, how much will the additional charge be to change the surname? 

A camel....I actually wouldn't mind knowing this either. I still think its ridiculous that we have to pay twice. Milk milk milk comes to mind.

6 hours ago, Galeen Galli said:

2. If your premium membership expires, does your surname revert (for Legacy accounts) or disappear (for post-Legacy accounts)?

No you keep your new name. This was already discussed at the last Ebbe meeting and in this forum.

6 hours ago, Galeen Galli said:

3. Will there be an additional fee to change first names (or account names for post-Legacy accounts) when changing your surname?

Nope you will be able to change both last and first names at the same time. Also discussed in the last Ebbe meeting.

6 hours ago, Galeen Galli said:

4. What are some other limitations LL will implement to prevent people from abusing this feature? Will there be limits on the number of times per year you can make these changes? Will there be a tiered charge (as in the cost increases for every time the change is made)? 

As many times as you want to pay and I severely doubt it. They are already charging for premium AND to change the name. If they started tier charging then there would be a riot. 

6 hours ago, Galeen Galli said:

5. Would you consider a system to share surnames between LL partners (say, if a couple has been partnered for X months/years, they are given the option to share an existing surname)? 

Past names won't be available. Only new names, and you can both pay for a new name and both pick the same surname. They aren't gonna let you share a name for free as thats one less donation to the Linden Cookie Pot.

6 hours ago, Galeen Galli said:

6. How will the list of surnames be generated? Are you taking suggestions? 

Yes they are, discussed several times in this forum and at the last Ebbe meeting. Ideas from us, the peasants and also randomly generated by the lab.

6 hours ago, Galeen Galli said:

7. When is this actually happening? The language used originally was "later this year", and now it is "more details later this year". Does this mean next year? 

Its August....later this year could mean December but I am curious also. Most of us aren't expecting it until October - December.

6 hours ago, Galeen Galli said:

8. Will changes/requests for changes be reviewed and approved or denied by staff, or will it simply be at the whim of the user and based on availability and fees? 

I think common sense comes into play. If your going to pick "F***er Jones" then you can be sure to be refused. I think it will be staff approved though or at least some kind of automated approval system.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

question for Ebbe: there is some hope that the old 701 class servers will be replaced with new ones, or decommissioned and sims transferred on 801 class servers?

thank you best regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, Ceo Ebbe Altberg! I would like to know what is the percentage of the Brazilian community in this 3D world. How many Brazilians (active accounts) reside in Second Life? Thank you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think the methods of handling harassment/stalking grievances in second life could be flipped to actually discourage continued abuse by a harasser rather then having a victim feel more of a victim with the current process to deal with it.

At present we have 3 options 

1- mute ban and derender -has the victim living in a one sided window. We cannot see out but the attacker can still see in and continues too. Don't forget to mute the many, many, many alts that one can make and have as well. Just because we cannot see it it doesn't make it right. Everyone else around us can see it.

Attacker 1- Victim 0

2-AR AR AR AR AR AR AR-  I could do this to I'm dead in the ground yet the attacks will still come and when reporting someone you will never know if that person has even been talked to because of the whole privacy thing .. funny!

attacker 2 - Victim 0

3- start new alt acc. Lose all inventory. No longer go to any location that you happen to enjoy and pray the attacker doesn't find you on alt because then its like a game of snakes and ladders you go back to number 1 because of a darn snake.

attacker 3 - Victim 0 

Do you see the pattern?

Maybe a Rating/Reputation, points system could be put in place. If you have x amount of people rate you low then off to the naughty corner you go, along with all your alts 3 strikes your out!. Xbox/playstation do it. I should know, sometimes my 'competitive spirit' gets me into that corner for 24hrs and sometimes a week of no communication privileges depending on how "competitive" I've been. I know its not as easy as introducing a system like that when everyone can make as many alts as they want, to lower your rating but if it can be one rating per IP maybe, then why not.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we could have bit more writing room in are profile on the 2nd life page of the profile. Maybe if we could have thing say's on the side of the profile female or male but check list it but only put tho those people. or have thing saying single or looking or taken but up to those. Have a partnership or marriage badge on the profile. Like if someone click on you can say in clear letters saying single or taken this would truly help I know some do not read but profile's but tag line  saying when someone looks at you or clicks yes would have to be invisible but only show the tagline words  not sure if this has ever been brought up. Another Question maybe more group slots like 200 or more so we don't have to leave them maybe option for people could buy the slots for more group room or premium. Also the Romance that some adults need to be able to find the classy romantic places with more dancing and connection with out the bang bang  like the old days and courtship with manners so singles can find someone ether sl or go real.

Edited by Dreamerra
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dreamerra said:

If we could have bit more writing room in are profile on the 2nd life page of the profile. Maybe if we could have thing say's on the side of the profile female or male but check list it but only put tho those people. or have thing saying single or looking or taken but up to those. Have a partnership or marriage badge on the profile. Like if someone click on you can say in clear letters saying single or taken this would truly help I know some do not read but profile's but tag line  saying when someone looks at you or clicks yes would have to be invisible but only show the tagline words  not sure if this has ever been brought up. Another Question maybe more group slots like 200 or more so we don't have to leave them maybe option for people could buy the slots for more group room or premium. Also the Romance that some adults need to be able to find the classy romantic places with more dancing and connection with out the bang bang  like the old days and courtship with manners so singles can find someone ether sl or go real.

You realise that "partnership or marriage badge on the profile" already exists on the profile right.....its called the partner box.....idk how you have missed that since you started in 2014 but there we go . If you are with someone in SL then add them as your SL partner and it will display on your profile who your partner is for all to see.

Also as much as we like to think so sometimes....SL is not a dating site and tbh I dont want my relationship status of single or taken displayed on my profile for all to see, if your so desperate to have your partner listed to the world then use the already present partnering system which will display on your profile..

Also, you say "people could buy the slots for more group room or premium".....you CAN already do that by paying for premium each month which will increase the amount of groups you can join.

Finally, "some adults need to be able to find the classy romantic places with more dancing and connection with out the bang bang"....have you tried searching "dancing" in search?. I can see several places that list romantic dancing as a keyword with no other keywords relating to sex or anything similar. Searching romantic produces even better results. However, you will be hard pushed to find somewhere in SL that is free of perverts who are going to proposition you for sex, it just won't happen. Adult SL whether on the hardcore or romantic side is filled with sex crazed lonely zombies desperate for some kind of avi/human contact. Even the PG side of SL has them, whether I go to a anime sim, rp sim, combat sim, hangout or store...there is always someone trying to hit on someone else. Its part of Second Life, you just have to accept it and if someone asks you for sex....do what I do.....mute them and move on and forget about it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PhantomPixel said:

You realise that "partnership or marriage badge on the profile" already exists on the profile right.....its called the partner box.....idk how you have missed that since you started in 2014 but there we go . If you are with someone in SL then add them as your SL partner and it will display on your profile who your partner is for all to see.

Also as much as we like to think so sometimes....SL is not a dating site and tbh I dont want my relationship status of single or taken displayed on my profile for all to see, if your so desperate to have your partner listed to the world then use the already present partnering system which will display on your profile..

Also, you say "people could buy the slots for more group room or premium".....you CAN already do that by paying for premium each month which will increase the amount of groups you can join.

Finally, "some adults need to be able to find the classy romantic places with more dancing and connection with out the bang bang"....have you tried searching "dancing" in search?. I can see several places that list romantic dancing as a keyword with no other keywords relating to sex or anything similar. Searching romantic produces even better results. However, you will be hard pushed to find somewhere in SL that is free of perverts who are going to proposition you for sex, it just won't happen. Adult SL whether on the hardcore or romantic side is filled with sex crazed lonely zombies desperate for some kind of avi/human contact. Even the PG side of SL has them, whether I go to a anime sim, rp sim, combat sim, hangout or store...there is always someone trying to hit on someone else. Its part of Second Life, you just have to accept it and if someone asks you for sex....do what I do.....mute them and move on and forget about it.

It was only to fix some things that is up to them. I am a body tester so on I just go to a lot of places some people need more group room for fashion and following. Well the romance yes has been diffren't over the years not saying its hard find places but if how it was before and diffren't idea's with etiquette getting all dressed up not getting hit on by the someone saying lets go to my place and bang I like to go to ballrooms and love gowns I like to enjoy my time at the end of the day the music and class but like to be around people with mature mind get deep in the mind conversation cause even the ga places have people private messaging people trying to get you get in bed get little old sorry if I say maybe some rules to fix this not everyone in second life is looking for sex we have many mature minds also we really love the old romance back. The badge is like a sticker not just the writing as partner or marriage but also designers I am saying like a sticker. Also having a more album room for photo's or slide shows in the profile. 

Edited by Dreamerra
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dreamerra said:

It was only to fix some things that is up to them. I am a body tester so on I just go to a lot of places some people need more group room for fashion and following. Well the romance yes has been diffren't over the years not saying its hard find places but if how it was before and diffren't idea's with etiquette getting all dressed up not getting hit on by the someone saying lets go to my place and bang I like to go to ballrooms and love gowns I like to enjoy my time at the end of the day the music and class but like to be around people with mature mind get deep in the mind conversation cause even the ga places have people private messaging people trying to get you get in bed get little old sorry if I say maybe some rules to fix this not everyone in second life is looking for sex we have many mature minds also we really love the old romance back. The badge is like a sticker not just the writing as partner or marriage but also designers I am saying like a sticker. Also having a more album room for photo's or slide shows in the profile. 

I been here 4 years on this account but I have been here 6 I made account back then did not know how to download  it back them then came in 2014  started over. But we use are minds vitalization and idea how things help others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...