Feature Wish | Name rant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It would be nice to be able to toggle display names off if they are very long or weird.

ƧΉΛЯI ŁΣIПΣЯ-ℂӨЯƬΣƧ-VΣŁVΣƬŁΣΛŦ

???? Whisky Tango Foxtrot is that?

Or ...  Rob 'The man of your dreams' Lo

Maybe I should ask the Fire Storm team.  I would like to show the first 16 letters of a display name; if it contains characters >  Ñ then use account name instead.

2, h, lambda, ja, I - L with a stroke, Sigma, I, Pi, Sigma Ja,-....

i have no idea how to pronounce that nonsense two-chljay Lsipsja might be good start for the first two components, if they complain being called Lispsja insist on they chose that stupid name, not you

UPDATE: did it:

two-chljay Lsipsja Ktjatzs Vslvstlslt

Because that name deserves to be pronounced the right way, enjoy

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

I once ran into a T with a stroke girl on @Arduenn Schwartzman's sim who complainend about T with a stroke being an F ... lol told her the same, "don't use letters you don't know" ...

Reminds me of the people using ß as a B...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Why? Just why?............*scratches head*...........

Whats wrong with normal letters?:x

normal letters aren't cool enough, they don't allow you to express the full depth of your creativity

*rolls eyes*

5 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

normal letters aren't cool enough, they don't allow you to express the full depth of your creativity

Like the teenage girls who put a little heart in place of the dot over an i in their names.  Very expressive.  o.O

2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

now I judge people by their choice of displayname.

^^ This

There are times though that I just turn them completely off and refer to people by their actual username (or a portion of it).

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

The way I solved this on my site is restricting display name characters to latin + locale characters, that being:

If someone is using en(alias for en-us or en-gb), they get access to characters a through z, 0 through 9, and diacritics such as in my username(Félix).

If someone is using ja(Japanese), they get access to latin + UTF-8 Japanese character blocks (3000 - 303f, 3040 - 309f, 30a0 - 30ff, ff00 - ffef, 4e00 - 9faf).

I would love if SL adopted this limitation because I have gotten yelled at for referring to someone by their username when I cannot read/type their display name, but this would probably be enforced locally by the viewer instead of server side, which means naughty viewers would ignore the limitation.

Plus I cannot read block, a lot of people seem to use characters in their name that isn't a available from default installed fonts.

Edited by Chaser Zaks

i don't have group, display or account names visible in my view

i just think its weird to want to immediately know the names of people in my view. If I do want to know then I cursor over them. Which I don't do often as I usually don't have any reason to want to know in most of the situations I am in

i get tho that is lots of situations where over head name tags are useful. For hosts, greeters, teachers, performers, event organisers, landlords, etc

10 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Reminds me of the people using ß as a B...

Röß: Why are you calling me Roess?

Although I think the same for those people using ツ as a smile!

Just leaving this display name here for the heck of it: FLÜGGÅӘNKб€ČHIŒßØLĮÊN

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Oh and while we're grumping.......

What's all this wavy and straight line stuff with boxes etc etc which appear in local chat??? What on earth is that about?

Those are unicode characters.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

Hold down your alt key and type the numbers ­­0153 on the keypad (not the numbers on the top row but the 10-key pad on the side).  You should get ™
This only works for the first 1000 characters.  After that it gets complicated.

There are many many extended and accented characters in unicode plus characters used for other languages like Russian, Arabic, Korean, etc. They all have there own sections.  There are other oddities in there as well.       ⊈       and so on.  

Very few fonts have characters for all the values.  Also, not all values are defined in the unicode table.  When ever something is unknown it gets printed as an empty box.   ▯

Usually the easy way is just copy and paste from one you have found somewhere else.   You might find these useful and they are kind of a pain to input with Alt+ method.  So copy then here and paste them in a note card in world.
①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯

If you want to use some of these characters in your display name I suggest you have a cup of coffee   and think it over first. 

Whenever I see someone with an impossible to read name I just copy/past their name  if I say hello.

I personally dislike the names along the lines of "Masters  #@&!* @!^ $#&@"

If there's nothing usable in their display name, then i'll go back to their login name for something to call them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.