Feature Wish | Name rant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think funniness is a function of timing more than anything else.

Timing does matter in humour (funniness), but Ken Dodd's explanation of what 'funny' is is spot on. He said that it's "warped reality". Think about it. The punchline in a joke, or a funny statement, or an event (e.g. like someone accidentally walking into a lamppost), is the reality of the context, but unexpectedly warped in a way that makes you laugh. Think of any joke, or funny statement, and you'll surely agree. Timing can enhance the funniness, but it's not 'funny'. Warped reality is what 'funny' is.

Edited by Phil Deakins

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

to which you replied...

... and continued with a lot of stuff about Russian words. But I didn't see where Love referred to, or implied, Russia. Where is it?

It's actually 'citizen'. You were mistaken.

In films, people are referred to as 'citizen' in France, following the French Revolution. I've no idea if the word (french version) was used like that at the time though. So I assume that Love was thinbking France and not Russia.

No, but more along the lines of Citizen Kane. “Citizen” was used a lot more in the 50’s. This is hilarious because I ignored Phorumites awhile back. Not thinking of Russia or France.

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

to which you replied...

... and continued with a lot of stuff about Russian words. But I didn't see where Love referred to, or implied, Russia. Where is it?

It's actually 'citizen'. You were mistaken.

In films, people are referred to as 'citizen' in France, following the French Revolution. I've no idea if the word (french version) was used like that at the time though. So I assume that Love was thinbking France and not Russia.

Love didn't refer to or imply any country, so I'm not necessarily mistaken, perhaps you are mistaken in thinking Love referred to France.

The full form in Russia would be Comrade Citizen, or to a leader Comrade Chief. Citizen alone referred to those less desirable individuals, prisoners etc.

Edited by Phorumities
fixed a word

actually I like it, Users can use the many possibilities of display names to show of their chosen names in Arameic quadratic scripture (Hebrew, Arameic, Yiddish), Cyrillic (many Slavic languages) Futharc (old Norse - why does no one ever do this, I would be delighted) Futhorc (Anglo Saxon) - Cuneiform (because hell yeah Archeology) and many more... actually I see the Asian and Slavic SL communities use them for that purpose, but what do the rest do? They rape foreign letters for the LULZ >:(

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

/me makes a mental note to see how many odd ways Lil can be shown in a display name

:SwingingFriends:

lytlu ic gærsum (Literal translation to Old English/Anglo-Saxon) in Futhorc-> ᛚᚣᛏᛚᚢ·ᛁᚳ·ᚷᚫᚱᛋᚢᛗ

enjoy =^.^=

No guarntees on correctness, if in doubt ask an Anglo Saxon whom you trust.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 1

I switched to using sub atomic level letters  for my name..Now it's just like those old 80's horror movies when I enter the room..

.... ..... say's: Hey,hows it going?

Person in the room say's: Who's there? 0o

.... ..... say's: It is I, .... .....!! \o/

Person in the room say's: OMG! How did you get your name so yugely and historically never done before in the history of our country,small, Whoever you are?

.... ..... say's: I googled it.

They have been on google ever since never to be heard from ever again.. Because I didn't google it!! :D

.... ..... say's: Muuuwhahahahaha

• Haha 1

Unpronounceable Display Names have always been one of my pet peeves, so I'll jump on the thread.  But it's not only the ones that use special characters, I also hate the ones that contain foul language.  I mean, I really really really don't want to address you as C*ntF*cker even if it IS the name you chose for yourself.  Nope, you're Bob.

And I agree with you too, Kanry.  I don't know how many people have called me "Linda".  Linda is a nice name, but it's not MY name.  I'm LindaL with an extra L.  My friends call me Lin, or Linnie.  NOT "Linda."  If that's too hard for you, you can address me as Miss Kidd.  Or Bob, for gosh sakes.

• Like 2

Yeah, and I get called "Rolling" or "Rollo" or "Rollig", and once even "Molly." (I have no idea how you can get "Molly" out of Rolig.)  My friends call me "Rolig."  Or, "Hey you."  I like my name.  It's soft, short, easy to pronounce, and I have always thought it was pretty easy to spell -- not a made up string of numbers and strange characters.  And it's me.  ;)

Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

If it was good enough for Cap'n Kidd, it's good enough for me!  Besides, Linden Lab chose that one for me!

Aye, matey!

I'm still surprised by the termination of last names. While many might have disliked choosing a last name from a list, I enjoyed picking through the piles. There was whimsy in it, but also something more. When you run into someone sharing your surname, do you chat them up? Do you get a sense of someone's character through their choice of surname (think "Loon")?

As I recall, the argument against surnames was that people were bailing at that point in the sign up process, presumably because choosing last names was either too difficult, or too limiting. I like to think that people who felt that way wouldn't have liked it here, anyway.

;-).

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

As I recall, the argument against surnames was that people were bailing at that point in the sign up process, presumably because choosing last names was either too difficult, or too limiting.

I also heard that LL found it very time consuming to create the lists -- ensuring there was an adequate supply of new names that were not offensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Aye, matey!

I'm still surprised by the termination of last names. While many might have disliked choosing a last name from a list, I enjoyed picking through the piles. There was whimsy in it, but also something more. When you run into someone sharing your surname, do you chat them up? Do you get a sense of someone's character through their choice of surname (think "Loon")?

As I recall, the argument against surnames was that people were bailing at that point in the sign up process, presumably because choosing last names was either too difficult, or too limiting. I like to think that people who felt that way wouldn't have liked it here, anyway.

;-).

Choosing from a list of last names was fun. Whatever you ended up choosing, you got something that has always been better than the ubiquitous "Resident". Maybe some people bailed during that process because of disappointment they couldn't just make up a surname, or enter one favored from aliases past. Though I think I can appreciate the possible reasons for providing lists from which to choose.

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Interestingly, I already had my first name in mind when I decided to join, and then tried to find a name from the list that matched.  Since "Rolig" means "funny" in Swedish, "Loon" just seemed like the right match.  There are very few of us Loons still around after all these years.  A surprising number of us are scripters, for some reason.  I haven't figured that one out.

Yes, I suspect that people who had a hard time deciding on a name probably weren't tempermentally well-suited for SL in the first place.  One of the big complaints with the old system, though, was from people who wanted to share a "family" name with a friend/spouse/companion.  LL developed the Display Name system to accommodate them, and the loss of real last names was collateral damage.  I have never had much sympathy for the family name crowd, as a result.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I also heard that LL found it very time consuming to create the lists -- ensuring there was an adequate supply of new names that were not offensive.

Surely it couldn't have been that difficult to ask everyone working at the Lab to each come up with 5 surnames? Why put all of that onto the shoulders of just one or two people when everyone working at LL could have had the chance to put a small selection of names into the available pot? It could even become something of a workplace competition: checking the signup numbers each week or month and having small prizes (silly or not-so-silly) for whoever has the most signups on one of 'their' names that week/month.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I remember how the set of names from which to choose would change depending on the chosen first name. I think, looking back through the fog of time, I discovered that if I wanted a different set, given the same first name, I had to wait a few hours and try again. I always wondered how , from the periodic name batches, those subsets were generated.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering right or not on how people lost their last names..Wasn't it something like ,if you made a display name that you lost your last name after that?

Something like that wasn't it?

I never made a display name so I'm not sure really.. ETA: Or was it that they wouldn't be a gap between them anymore?

Edited by Ceka Cianci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.