The Latest on Last Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

hmmm you pick your last name from a list? Pass thanks can't see that enticing many to part with cash

I doubt that LL expects "many" to pay to change their names, so that it's a significant money-earner. Imo, they are doing it because, since last names were dropped, there has been a regular public desire to have them back. I'm sure they expect that, after the initial novelty has worn off, they'll make a trickle of regular money from it, but not a lot.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

"New accounts will continue to use “Resident”; Premium users will, probably with an additional fee to be decided, be able to choose a new last name from a list

That's disappointing. So, as Ebbe sees it at the moment, users who got stuck with 'Resident' won't get the free last name choice that some of us hoped they would. So it's not what I thought it was - the correction of an earlier blunder that upset users. Instead it's going to be used as a perk, and probably a perk that has to paid for.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's disappointing. So, as Ebbe sees it at the moment, users who got stuck with 'Resident' won't get the free last name choice that some of us hoped they would. So it's not what I thought it was - the correction of an earlier blunder that upset users. Instead it's going to be used as a perk, and probably a perk that has to paid for.

Yes, looks like. This is basically what the fuss in this thread  -  and the others that came before it - was all about.

Edited by Fionalein

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, stupid meaningless first names have been around forever, long before last names went away.  Last names simply gave the idiots a chance to use the same stupid meaningless first name with multiple last names.

You forgot that where doomed since screen names with stupid character names or hard to read names, because of special character use. If you not see just simple squares.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

how you think we got ours :) also not a selfmade one, yep...a list
but hey you cán get your custom name, it's however not used a lot as far i know.

Costs?..yes of course: first year 1000 USD, after that 500 yearly ...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Custom_Name_Program

That wiki page is for special cases. "Last names must clearly be an organizational or corporate name, " nothimg todo with the consumer version. So the prices are not for the new lastnames.

8 minutes ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

you only need some simple logic to know that linden lab not invest so much money and time in last names if the go cost 500u$

I don't think you understand what Alwin said, lol. NO ONE said the new policy(if ever introduced), the new charge for last names, is going to be $500US, lmao. That is the CURRENT cost though. 

LL does, in fact, charge anyone that wants a custom name, whether it is for an organizational purpose, or not. It is not widely used because the cost is extremely prohibitive (and makes no damn sense to anyone with "simple logic" skills.). The cost for such has *always been high. While that singular page may only reflect special cases, there really hasn't been very much information available for the "pay for a special last name" (this new proposed policy notwithstanding) policy that has existed for...uhhh...forever, lol. That's one part of of LL's MO, though...not share info. Still, those that have been interested in such a thing need only contact LL.

The special cases page is mostly referring to organizations that want to buy a last name which users entering sl through THEIR portals, using THEIR organizational name, can use-in other words, multiple uses of said last name, a name which no one other than specified(by the organization) folks can use. Whether or not LL is actually clear on this..is, well, subjective, dependent upon whoever is trying to interpret their "explanations", as is typical.

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

you only need some simple logic to know that linden lab not invest so much money and time in last names if the go cost 500u$

did you even read where the replies were on?  It was just a example that custom names ONLY are available for a substantial cost.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

.... some half arsed name from a list

Many of the last names that were available over the years were decent.  The list would contain a bunch to choose from and the list changed every few months.  If you are interested in all of the various last names that were created over time, there is a list here (along with how many residents have that last name):  http://slnamewatch.com/?action=list_records&status_filter=all&sort_order=DESC&order_by=usage_count

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Many of the last names that were available over the years were decent.  The list would contain a bunch to choose from and the list changed every few months.  If you are interested in all of the various last names that were created over time, there is a list here (along with how many residents have that last name):  http://slnamewatch.com/?action=list_records&status_filter=all&sort_order=DESC&order_by=usage_count

Whether they are decent or not its a list of names that have little to no relation to me. How hard would it to have been to allow you to type a first and last name

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Whether they are decent or not its a list of names that have little to no relation to me. How hard would it to have been to allow you to type a first and last name

Well, if you were given a chance to type first name (related to you) and type last name (related to you) you might surprisingly find that it was already taken.
Out of luck again. :( Then you would be angry again. :SxD Selecting last name from list shouldn't be very difficult. There have been really nice ones available.
At one time it was even possible to refresh the list when creating name to get more options from which to select the name.

1 minute ago, Coby Foden said:

Well, if you were given a chance to type first name (related to you) and type last name (related to you) you might surprisingly find that it was already taken.
Out of luck again. :( Then you would be angry again. :SxD Selecting last name from list shouldn't be very difficult. There have been really nice ones available.
At one time it was even possible to refresh the list when creating name to get more options from which to select the name.

If its taken I find another last name that is relevant to me. You miss the point though that having the combination of first and last name having to be unique gives many many more combinations. There can be many with the surname Drago and many with the forename Kanry if they want. There could only be one with both. If the exact combination I want is taken I alter either first or last slightly till I find a name I am happy with. Choosing from a list of 100 surnames limits it to 100 with the forename Kanry. Being able to type your own last name means there can be 1000's

• Like 1

@Ebbe Linden
Evident frustration going on in the name creation process:

AllNamesAreBeingUsed
AllNamesAreChosen
allnamesarealreadytaken
AllNamesHaveAlreadyBeenTaken
AllNamesThatExistAreTaken
AllNamesTakenSuicidePlz
AreThereAnyNamesNotTaken2
aretherenousernames
CannotBelieveItIsThisHard
cannotfindagoodname
CannotFindAvailabileName
cannotfindusername2525
CannotThinkOfaName2
cannotmakeanamelol
toohardtofindausername
givemeanameplease2004
givemeanameomg
MyNameByTheWayIsDante
Mynamehasbeentakenhowcome
MyNameIsAlwaysTaken

Good name is one of the basic first requirements for enjoyable Second Life experience. Why is it so hard for Linden Lab to understand this?
Making such basic need a premium perk, and even with extra fee. Seriously?

Looking at the profiles of those avatars with weird name one can see that most of them are totally blank. It's quite obvious that they have never logged in again because the very first experience was very bad.

• Hmm... no good names available. Ok, I'll just type something there, it's just a login name.
• Ok, I'm in now. Let's see...
• OMG! My avatar has my login name on it!
• I will change it. But how, there is no information to be seen. No way to change a name?
• Let's see is there anything on the web page? (Digging there a long time...)
• What? Need to go to premium and even then need extra fee for just simply to change a name? OMG!
O.o
• Well, it seems this game is not for me. >:(

Edited by Coby Foden
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

If its taken I find another last name that is relevant to me.

I'm wondering why an avatar's name has to be relevant to you? In my opinion you are just making the name thing too difficult.

Personally the name "Coby Foden" has no relevance at all to me, the operator. But I'm perfectly happy with it. It's short, it's good. All is well. :)
I have few alts with first and last names, all of them have good names (again having no relevance to me).
I always found the selection of a good last name from the list, and typing the first name fairly easy process.

This was a feature I was greatly looking forward to. But based on what the current plans sound like, it is already a lost cause ... premium fee plus name change fee in return for a choice limited to a list of unknown numbers of entries. 

Gotta wait and see how it actually turns once once it's live... but I don't have too many hopes. :|

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

I'm wondering why an avatar's name has to be relevant to you? In my opinion you are just making the name thing too difficult.

Personally the name "Coby Foden" has no relevance at all to me, the operator. But I'm perfectly happy with it. It's short, it's good. All is well. :)
I have few alts with first and last names, all of them have good names (again having no relevance to me).
I always found the selection of a good last name from the list, and typing the first name fairly easy process.

Because I prefer to have a name I like and I have never had a problem finding a name I like, may take a few attempts but it really isnt difficult. It would be much easier if they gave forename surname as typable however. My fear here is they listen to the lazy here and decide to be 'generous' and I login to find a congratulations change your name so now you have one of these surnames we picked out for you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think some people may be looking at this as if it was the introduction of a new feature. Actually, it's the reintroduction of an old feature. This is how things were back in the old last name days. The only new thing about it is the possibility of changing an existing name for a fee.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Because I prefer to have a name I like and I have never had a problem finding a name I like, may take a few attempts but it really isnt difficult. It would be much easier if they gave forename surname as typable however. My fear here is they listen to the lazy here and decide to be 'generous' and I login to find a congratulations change your name so now you have one of these surnames we picked out for you

You're only calling it lazy because you weren't here when it was the norm, lol.  The list of names available was pretty big, and you could refresh it if you didn't like any on the list and get a whole new list(and yes, some names, once the powers that be at LL decided there were enough, would get removed form the list, so no new folks could use it). Honestly, the process was SIMPLE back then, easy for all, but people did still have to think of a first name to go with whatever last name they had chosen.  Making the signup process harder on people is simply stupid. Making the process to create a creative, unique, good name, cost prohibitive(regardless of how low/high that cost might be) is also, stupid. It has nothing to do with being lazy and everything to do with LL's inability to EXPLAIN the process(es) necessary for signing up a new account (or hell, even an alt account, whatever have you). Coupled with them not understanding their current or even target audience, even slightly, and you get nickle and dime crap....which is what this is, adding a fee for a feature that used to exist, which has received a LOT of public outcry for years...is nickle and dime crap, lol. That's simply poor business, really. 

Edited by Tari Landar
add stuff
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

You're only calling it lazy because you weren't here when it was the norm, lol.  The list of names available was pretty big, and you could refresh it if you didn't like any on the list and get a whole new list(and yes, some names, once the powers that be at LL decided there were enough, would get removed form the list, so no new folks could use it). Honestly, the process was SIMPLE back then, easy for all, but people did still have to think of a first name to go with whatever last name they had chosen.  Making the signup process harder on people is simply stupid. Making the process to create a creative, unique, good name, cost prohibitive(regardless of how low/high that cost might be) is also, stupid. It has nothing to do with being lazy and everything to do with LL's inability to EXPLAIN the process(es) necessary for signing up a new account (or hell, even an alt account, whatever have you). Coupled with them not understanding their current or even target audience, even slightly, and you get nickle and dime crap....which is what this is, adding a fee for a feature that used to exist, which has received a LOT of public outcry for years...is nickle and dime crap, lol. That's simply poor business, really. 

Lazy was actually in reference to the list of names Coby quoted. As I said I have never found it difficult to make a decent named character here or any other game. Without resorting to numbers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Lazy was actually in reference to the list of names Coby quoted. As I said I have never found it difficult to make a decent named character here or any other game. Without resorting to numbers

And you wouldn't have difficulty if you were given a dropdown list of a LOT of  last names, especially if you could refresh said list and get a whole new list...either. So, no, it's not lazy, not when you still have to choose your first name.

3 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

And you wouldn't have difficulty if you were given a dropdown list of a LOT of  last names, especially if you could refresh said list and get a whole new list...either. So, no, it's not lazy, not when you still have to choose your first name.

As I said I wasnt commenting on the list being lazy, However I would not want to have a limited list to pick from was the point I was making. To me it is worse than what we have now either do it properly or dont do it at all

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

@Ebbe Linden
Evident frustration going on in the name creation process:

AllNamesAreBeingUsed
AllNamesAreChosen
allnamesarealreadytaken
AllNamesHaveAlreadyBeenTaken
AllNamesThatExistAreTaken
AllNamesTakenSuicidePlz
AreThereAnyNamesNotTaken2
aretherenousernames
CannotBelieveItIsThisHard
cannotfindagoodname
CannotFindAvailabileName
cannotfindusername2525
CannotThinkOfaName2
cannotmakeanamelol
toohardtofindausername
givemeanameplease2004
givemeanameomg
MyNameByTheWayIsDante
Mynamehasbeentakenhowcome
MyNameIsAlwaysTaken

Good name is one of the basic first requirements for enjoyable Second Life experience. Why is it so hard for Linden Lab to understand this?
Making such basic need a premium perk, and even with extra fee. Seriously?

Looking at the profiles of those avatars with weird name one can see that most of them are totally blank. It's quite obvious that they have never logged in again because the very first experience was very bad.

• Hmm... no good names available. Ok, I'll just type something there, it's just a login name.
• Ok, I'm in now. Let's see...
• OMG! My avatar has my login name on it!
• I will change it. But how, there is no information to be seen. No way to change a name?
• Let's see is there anything on the web page? (Digging there a long time...)
• What? Need to go to premium and even then need extra fee for just simply to change a name? OMG!
O.o
• Well, it seems this game is not for me. >:(

You missed these names:

Allnamesaretaken Allen

Allnamesaretaken Rau

Allnamesareused Baxton

Allnamesartaken Buccaneer

Allnameshavebeentaken Zapatero

Allnamestaken Auer

Allnamestaken Michigan

Allnamestaken Putzo

Looks like things weren't so good in the old days either...

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

This is how things were back in the old last name days. The only new thing about it is the possibility of changing an existing name for a fee.

Except this time around, per the latest interview info, new users will still get the last name of Resident.  You'll only get to pick a last name if you are Premium.  In the olden days, everyone that signed up got to pick a last name.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.