The Latest on Last Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You can register multiple accounts under the same email address. Or at least used to be able to.

That has never changed and the limit is still 5.

40 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't think it is.  I think it's about people's dissatisfaction with any of the naming systems LL has given us.  But I could be wrong! :)

I was perfectly happy with the original naming system of making up a first name and choosing a last name from a list. Some very creative names have been seen in SL because of it.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:08 AM, AyelaNewLife said:

That's the real reason why you get so many "cookiemonster1983"'s out there, coupled with a perfectly normal display name - no one ever told them they'd be stuck with that garbage floating above their head forever.

Not exactly.

I didn't want a "name" sounding username because I know eventually I would hate the first name, last name, or the combination. And I don't like when someone with a "name" username has a display name that's a different first and last name. It just looks weird.

Don't know if that made sense.

21 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

someone with a "name" username has a display name that's a different first and last name.

That is a common practice in RP since the advent of display names. There were two things that prompted the display name. Those who got hitched in SL and wanted their last names to be the same and those who RP being able to use a character name that is different from their user name.  I mean, really, calling some big beefy jouster guy FuzzySpuffy ruins the immersion.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2019 at 3:22 AM, Ethan Paslong said:

it's the only way to prevent the absurdity we also see in use of the display names.... unreadable, unpronouncable, obscene use, numbers and other annoyances.

There's a easy solution to that problem. A through Z and their regional variants thereby (accented latin only) with dashes for combined names. Honestly, as much as I hate my username, I'll hold off until Linden Lab quits beating around the bush and actually lets me use my preferred last name. I don't care if I have to pay extra to use a custom last name or if it needs to be reviewed to be approved, It'll be a one and done deal, as will it for many of us who came after Legacy Names went the way of the dodo.

Believe when I say this, I concur that these people abusing the Unicode standard like many people of the mature persuasion (me included) abuse their nether regions when in the seedier parts of SL - should be slapped with a trout. But just because they abuse it doesn't mean those of us with pure intentions should be punished as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

I'll hold off until Linden Lab quits beating around the bush and actually lets me use my preferred last name. I don't care if I have to pay extra to use a custom last name or if it needs to be reviewed to be approved

If you want a specific last name, there is this option: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Custom_Name_Program

Upon creation of a custom surname, the account designated as owner will be billed a US$500 setup fee plus the first annual US$500 fee. On each anniversary date, the owner will be billed US$500 to retain custom surname ownership. Last names must clearly be an organizational or corporate name, and distinguished from personal last names (surnames). For example, "Smith" is not acceptable, but "SmithCorp," "SmithInc," "SmithProducts" or "SmithConstruction" are. Linden Lab will consider names that are clearly made up or composite (for example, "SecondLife" or "Agilent").

Otherwise you're stuck with picking from a preset list like everybody else (excluding the Resident era).

9 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If you want a specific last name, there is this option: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Custom_Name_Program

Otherwise you're stuck with picking from a preset list like everybody else (excluding the Resident era).

That's not feasible! Not only because it's priced for and designed for businesses, but Due to the issue laid out here:

9 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Upon creation of a custom surname, the account designated as owner will be billed a US$500 setup fee plus the first annual US$500 fee. On each anniversary date, the owner will be billed US$500 to retain custom surname ownership. Last names must clearly be an organizational or corporate name, and distinguished from personal last names (surnames). For example, "Smith" is not acceptable, but "SmithCorp," "SmithInc," "SmithProducts" or "SmithConstruction" are. Linden Lab will consider names that are clearly made up or composite (for example, "SecondLife" or "Agilent").

Again, I say, give us the option to use custom last names.

Edited by Rathgrith027

11 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

That's not feasible! Not only because it's priced for and designed for businesses, but Due to the issue laid out here:

Again, I say, give us the option to use custom last names.

I know it's not a realistic option unless you have more money than sense.

The way last names currently work (If I recall correctly) is that they're actually just sequential entries in a database, related to some unique number, which is used to generate the avatar's key and other data. This means that there's a limit to how many last names can even exist, which is why people can't just add their own last name into the list. We'd literally run out of last names in a few years.

To make custom last names possible requires the entire account system to be reformed, which is even less realistic for LL than the $500 annual fee for you. That's the reason why last names are coming back as they were, instead of some new system.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matty Luminos said:

All they ever really needed to do was allow a username with a single space (or an underscore) placed anywhere except the beginning and end. Hey presto, instant first name and last name of your choice.

Matty Luminos Resident doesn't sound so bad.

(Also yes, some MMOs allow spaces in names. For some reason that's not a common convention.)

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Matty Luminos Resident doesn't sound so bad.

Except the "Resident" part is displayed... almost nowhere, except in a few old legacy scripts. The only places I ever see it is voting boards for club contests, script-counting boards and old Sploders. Newer scripts generally strip out the Resident part, or use the display name. Of course viewers have the option of showing it if the user wants to, but it's off by default in the SL viewer and most newer residents are not going to bother to turn it on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Last names are actually a number.  That number corresponds to a list.

Maybe in SL2.0 they will do it differently but for now, it is not going to be a possibility.

And this is infeasible to change, why? We're shifting from using names as identifiers to fully using UUIDs, last time I checked. Changing the implementation we have may be pricy to do so, but by god are we just going to sit here and tolerate this outdated system? Not everything is set in stone.

Edited by Rathgrith027
  • Haha 1

I do not understand why so many people respond with "no" or not possible when this is a program where variables can be changed. It might not be easy but it is not impossible. As little as two years ago the answer to can we change our usernames was no but now it is transitioning from a possibility and will Soon™ be a reality. There is nothing wrong with someone asking for more, pushing the envelope beyond current technology or change. That is how this system has grown over the past almost 17 years. It's people asking the questions can it be done and the Lab figuring out how to make things happen. The day we stop asking for things to change is the day things stop changing. 

Your world. Your imagination*

* within reason and as long as you agree with us or we will shout you down, pleb.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

I do not understand why so many people respond with "no" or not possible when this is a program where variables can be changed. It might not be easy but it is not impossible. As little as two years ago the answer to can we change our usernames was no but now it is transitioning from a possibility and will Soon™ be a reality. There is nothing wrong with someone asking for more, pushing the envelope beyond current technology or change. That is how this system has grown over the past almost 17 years. It's people asking the questions can it be done and the Lab figuring out how to make things happen. The day we stop asking for things to change is the day things stop changing. 

* within reason and as long as you agree with us or we will shout you down, pleb.

MichaMoz.

Display name can be Micha Moz.

Scripts can be written to use the part of a display name after a space as a last name - I've seen it done.

Custom last name.

Problem already solved.

10 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

0a8.jpg

The people (like moi) who are giving their opinion that it's practically impossible (which does not mean literally impossible) don't decide what actually happens. You're allowed to talk about what you want and I'm allowed to respond to you with whatever opinion I have, but ultimately LL can (not) do whatever they want.

23 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

0a8.jpg

The people (like moi) who are giving their opinion that it's practically impossible (which does not mean literally impossible) don't decide what actually happens. You're allowed to talk about what you want and I'm allowed to respond to you with whatever opinion I have, but ultimately LL can (not) do whatever they want.

And that's fine. Until I see, from a Linden, not some 'Advisor', not some run of the mill user - that changing the system is some Sisyphean-level impossible task, I will hold the opinion that it is feasible, and you can hold the opinion that it's impossible. All I have seen is conjecture.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:51 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

you'r not forced to be here you know?

To your chagrin, I plan to stay here until the doors close.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.