The Latest on Last Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hallelujah and finally someone gets the point I was arguing. I dont want to change, if others do fine. I just dont want to log on one day and find the idiots at the labs have done me a favour and I can now choose my surname

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When people are all saying that its a good idea to go back to the old system it needs a dissenting voice to let them know that not everyone wants that else they might get the idea that everyone wants it and implement it in a way those of us with zero interest dont like

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, you can see the resident tag above people's heads, lol. I'm not being nitpicky. I use the latest Firestorm viewer, and to NOT see resident, you have to turn the option off by checking the box. It is on by default. In Firestorm it is under  preferences, then general, towards the bottom, the option is "Trim 'Resident' from Legacy names".

So, uhh, yeah, you CAN see it, everyone can, until they turn it off. I know you don't care what others see, KanryDrago, this isn't a response for you, I get your position loud and clear :)  it's for everyone else that believes no one can see their Resident last name. 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Tari Landar said:

Yes, you can see the resident tag above people's heads, lol. I'm not being nitpicky. I use the latest Firestorm viewer, and to NOT see resident, you have to turn the option off by checking the box. It is on by default. In Firestorm it is under  preferences, then general, towards the bottom, the option is "Trim 'Resident' from Legacy names".

So, uhh, yeah, you CAN see it, everyone can, until they turn it off. I know you don't care what others see, KanryDrago, this isn't a response for you, I get your position loud and clear :)  it's for everyone else that believes no one can see their Resident last name. 

Then I obviously have it off even though I have never bothered turning it off. Same when I downloaded the sl viewer just now and logged on without changing anything

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Oh for... 

Since no one suggested making it mandatory and the Lindens already stated that it would be optional... 

The entire tangent has served no point whatsoever. 

What an absolute waste of time and thread space. 

No one made you take part and the whole thing was people telling me what a good thing it was when all my initial post was fine as long as they dont make it mandatory to pick a surname. You say its not going to happen so why the hell have you all been telling me I am wrong for wanting it. Not me wasting your time its you wasting mine

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Oh and on my version of firestorm admittedly an old one that option is greyed out and cannot be deselected

In Firestorm 5.0.11.53634 there are tick boxes for:
• Legacy names instead of usernames
• Trim 'Resident' from legacy names

If the first one is not selected then the second one is dimmed, not selectable.
If the first one is selected (i.e. showing legacy names is on) then the second one is selectable too.

What are legacy names and usernames?
My legacy name is Coby Foden
My username is coby.foden

• Like 6

From almost the first few replies made in the last page or so, not a single person even so much as hinted that they'd want a mandatory name change. 

Not. A. One. 

That idea came from... You. 

Everyone else was explaining to you how one can have a list of last names and still be creative. 

You are the one that somehow made the leap to it being mandatory. 

So much for comprehension... 

• Like 3

I was just explaining that it's there. Since, yes, some of us log on and someone just asked me to see if I can see their resident name, and I can, lol.

She was under the impression no one could, because she couldn't, since she, too, has that option turned off. :D

• Like 1

Nobody will be forced to change their existing name.

New accounts (at least for now) will continue to get a last name of Resident. 

Premium accounts can choose a last name from a supplied list, likely for a fee.

blah-blah lots of arguing and misunderstandings

Finally, yes, with the right options ticked in my Firstorm preferences, I can see the last name of Resident on folks.

I think that about sums up the 5 pages of this thread so far.

Oh, and Cody thinks last names make it easier to get meaningful names. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Premium accounts can choose a last name from a supplied list, likely for a fee.

There is no likely. It has been stated that there will be a fee for name changes EACH time you change your name (should you be a fluttery kind of gal or guy or get married OFTEN *wink*).

So to be clear from what was stated last week by Ebbe ---- People will sign up as "residents". Then if they want, they can pay for a last name.  Folks (either with a last name or with Resident) can also OPT IN to a name change. 

I will be staying as I am and likely many folks will. The ones with very odd names will have the most incentive to make changes :D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

There is no likely. It has been stated that there will be a fee for name changes EACH time you change your name

While you are correct, I worded it that way because I was sticking with what had been said in the interview, which was " Premium users will, probably with an additional fee to be decided, be able to choose a new last name from a list".  While we all know that they WILL charge, Ebbe's words were 'PROBABLY'.

One possibility though is that since they are going to make it a Premium benefit, the first change might simply come with your membership and only subsequent ones incur the additional fee.

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Then if they want, they can pay for a last name

Per his words, they will first have to become Premium (which is paying) and then there might be an additional fee.

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Per his words, they will first have to become Premium (which is paying) and then there might be an additional fee.

Agreed. :D

He has mentioned paying a fee so many times (not just this interview) that we pretty much know by now that is a given.  I can't say that I read your more altruistic idea about the first change being free into what I heard, but that would be nice. 

Really this is going to take someone a fair amount of time to deal with even if "automatic" so I don't really have an issue with the payment part of the equation.

I think the NEW part of the theme (to me anyway) was the new folks signing up would STILL be "residents" until they opted for premium. I had assumed (wrongly it seems) that new sign ups would get the two names again. Actually this newly planned way seems more fair. 

If Linden Lab is really going to make the lastnames thing a premium feature only, then they are (again) making a mistake with the lastnames. Surely most everyone would like to have a nice name. Therefore good easily readable Firstname Lastname should be available for everybody. At account creation stage it must be free (just like it was earlier), at later name change it can have a fee.

This is the only way to stop the flood of the hard to read, meaningless letter/number single names.
Anything else would make the lastnames feature a half-baked feature only. Which would be really sad thing.

• Like 4

What on earth is happening in this thread? 

Back on topic; as someone who is new to SL, and also got caught out by the whole "by the way, we forgot to tell you that this isn't a login username like we said, it's actually a visible display name" thing, I'd be quite happy to pay a sensible fee to change my name into a first+last name setup.

Having to be a premium member as well? Ew, no thanks.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death here, but for me personally premium membership represents a near doubling of the $ cost of Lindens for very little that benefits me in return, although I get that others will find more use for the premium perks. I do hope that Linden Labs do not try and "double dip" by both charging a fee and demanding premium membership for name changes, a single small fee (lets say $10) is more than enough for a name change.

• Like 1

@AyelaNewLife

From what I've been able to make out so far (but my memory is never perfect), it looks like it's going to be what you call a double-dip; i.e. you have to have a premium account to change your name and, if you have that, you'll have to pay for the name change. That's what I've understood so far, but, as far as I know, it hasn't been set in stone yet.

On the plus side - for you... Since you're new to SL and won't have become too far entrenched yet, and because you didn't realise that your login name would be your avatar's name, there's nothing to stop you creating another account with a name that you'd prefer, and use that one instead of the one you have now. That doesn't cost you anything. It's not even a single dip :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.