The Latest on Last Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You missed these names:

Allnamesaretaken Allen
Allnamesaretaken Rau
Allnamesareused Baxton
Allnamesartaken Buccaneer
Allnameshavebeentaken Zapatero
Allnamestaken Auer
Allnamestaken Michigan
Allnamestaken Putzo
Looks like things weren't so good in the old days either...

No, I didn't miss them. I'm not talking about bad first names in combination with the old last names.
You are the one always bringing it up though.  ;)

What I'm talking about is that bringing back the last names available for all will make good name creation easier than it is just with a single name.

Edited by Coby Foden

2 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

No, I didn't miss them. I'm not talking about bad first names in combination with the old last names.
You are the one always bringing it up though.  ;)

What I'm talking about is that bringing back the last names available for all will make good name creation easier than it is just with a single name.

Apparently, when that was the case, it wasn't.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Names like those only exist because prospective users had a list of names they normally use elsewhere and could not use any of them at the time, coupled with a surprising lack of creativity when forced to actually think. 

Here's a few names that could have been used (feel free to use them if you wish): Reis, Faralon, Otholias, Centus, Yisaritas.... 

That's off the top of my head as well as old RP character names. 

Not. Hard. At. All. 

18 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Names like those only exist because prospective users had a list of names they normally use elsewhere and could not use any of them at the time, coupled with a surprising lack of creativity when forced to actually think. 

Here's a few names that could have been used (feel free to use them if you wish): Reis, Faralon, Otholias, Centus, Yisaritas.... 

That's off the top of my head as well as old RP character names. 

Not. Hard. At. All. 

Which is why I called those people lazy

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

But it was easier with lastnames available.
I have created many Firstname Lastname accounts and in every single case it was easy to find a nice name combination. It didn't even take long time to find one.

What those people with weird firstname in combination with lastname probably didn't know that it was possible to refresh the offered lastname list to get new list of lastnames. So they were stuck with the first offered list. And then created names such as "Allnamesaretaken Allen". And actually they were not all taken.

Unfortunately Linden Lab didn't give any instruction about how the name creation thing worked. It was kind of a secret perhaps? O.o
Like even still now, it's a secret what the name what you use for login actually is. At least it seems so, as no information is given that it is actually your avatar's name too. What is said is only: "You will use your username to login." (Ah, ok I'll create my avatar's name later then...) xD

So to say it again: Lastnames made available for all at account creation for free is much needed feature to be able to create good name easily.
Nobody would pay for good name at that stage. If a fee was introduced there, people would find it very off-putting. "A fee for a name! Seriously!"
And what Ebbe suggested last is not good idea at all, for the reason I have already mentioned earlier in this thread.

1 minute ago, Coby Foden said:

But it was easier with lastnames available.
I have created many Firstname Lastname accounts and in every single case it was easy to find a nice name combination. It didn't even take long time to find one.

What those people with weird firstname in combination with lastname probably didn't know that it was possible to refresh the offered lastname list to get new list of lastnames. So they were stuck with the first offered list. And then created names such as "Allnamesaretaken Allen". And actually they were not all taken.

Unfortunately Linden Lab didn't give any instruction about how the name creation thing worked. It was kind of a secret perhaps? O.o
Like even still now, it's a secret what the name what you use for login actually is. At least it seems so, as no information is given that it is actually your avatar's name too. What is said is only: "You will use your username to login." (Ah, ok I'll create my avatar's name later then...) xD

So to say it again: Lastnames made available for all at account creation for free is much needed feature to be able to create good name easily.
Nobody would pay for good name at that stage. If a fee was introduced there, people would find it very off-putting. "A fee for a name! Seriously!"
And what Ebbe suggested last is not good idea at all, for the reason I have already mentioned earlier in this thread.

If last names are optional fine, if you are forced to select from their list then no it is an idea that needs to die in a fire

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Laughs so Kanry's inworld partner here. grins 

I loved it when we had a list of last names and I miss that feature. One of my best friends in SL, became my best friend because shared that last name.

Soooooo on last names, I love them, I do wish they would bring them back. HOWEVER, I like Kanry's idea of being able to choose your own last name. Of course, it would be as difficult as making an original first name was.  I think last names add your own special touch of personalization.

It probably took me 15 minutes to come up with SidraLynn, which means beautiful star. It's really not all that hard to come up with a name that means something is beautiful.

Just now, Sidralynn said:

Laughs so Kanry's inworld partner here. grins 

I loved it when we had a list of last names and I miss that feature. One of my best friends in SL, became my best friend because shared that last name.

Soooooo on last names, I love them, I do wish they would bring them back. HOWEVER, I like Kanry's idea of being able to choose your own last name. Of course, it would be as difficult as making an original first name was.  I think last names add your own special touch of personalization.

It probably took me 15 minutes to come up with SidraLynn, which means beautiful star. It's really not all that hard to come up with a name that means something is beautiful.

Hush women and make me a sandwich :)

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

If last names are optional fine, if you are forced to select from their list then no it is an idea that needs to die in a fire

Is it so that you would prefer to have only single name, no last name? And the other option what you would like is free to type the last name.

I'm pretty sure that the latter option is not possible. Linden Lab does not want that people would start creating the names of famous celebrities and other internationally well known real person's names as their avatar's name.

So, it's better to have a last name list to select a name than no last names at all. Even if you don't like it.

• Like 1

They can always, forbid the creation of celebrity names. Just like you can't name a can of pop Pepsi, or Coke. That really wouldn't be that difficult for them.

I remember a couple of years ago after a school shooting, someone created an avi, with the name of the shooter, and was trolling PG sims with it. He was shut down in less than 3 hours. So they have the capability to not allow certain names, right from the start. 

Edited by Sidralynn
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Is it so that you would prefer to have only single name, no last name? And the other option what you would like is free to type the last name.

I'm pretty sure that the latter option is not possible. Linden Lab does not want that people would start creating the names of famous celebrities and other internationally well known real person's names as their avatar's name.

So, it's better to have a last name list to select a name than no last names at all. Even if you don't like it.

I dont mind having the select last name from a predefined list as long as its optional. Yes I would prefer to have the type first name and last name as other games I play do and dont have the celebrity problem

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sidralynn said:

They can always, forbid the creation of celebrity names. Just like you can't name a can of pop Pepsi, or Coke. That really wouldn't be that difficult for them.

There could be tens of thousands of widely well known real person's names in the world. To list them all as forbidden names would be quite a task. Not impossible, but time consuming to create and keep up to date. To forbid the names of famous brands and famous celebrities is probably a lot easier task.

With predefined invented lastnames lists they can perhaps mostly avoid that problem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

There could be tens of thousands of widely well known real person's names in the world. To list them all as forbidden names would be quite a task. Not impossible, but time consuming to create and keep up to date. To forbid the names of famous brands and famous celebrities is probably a lot easier task.

With predefined invented lastnames lists they can perhaps mostly avoid that problem.

Other games manage it just fine look at Eve for example, also this already happens search angelinajolie or bradpitt in people search

You are positing straw man arguments, continue and I will continue to burn them 

Edited by KanryDrago
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sidralynn said:

Okay, how about we say no famous names, no sexual names, no names with hidden meanings, and no names with numbers. Oh wait that means, there would be hardly anyone left playing in SL. Smirks.

Sid don't be mean she means well she is merely misguided and hasn't yet learnt that not everyone thinks the same as her so assumes she speaks for all

Point blank: Like it or not selecting a last name from a list is how Linden Lab did it before and how they have decided to do so this time around. 

If you honestly believe you'd somehow be limited by having to choose from a list... There is no helping you. 

How any other service or game handles name creation is absolutely irrelevant. No, really it is. 

You honestly want to be able to fill in both fields? Pitch it directly to Linden Lab (use the JIRA) - maybe they'll listen. 

Either way, going back and forth here is utterly pointless. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Sidralynn said:

I remember a couple of years ago after a school shooting, someone created an avi, with the name of the shooter, and was trolling PG sims with it. He was shut down in less than 3 hours. So they have the capability to not allow certain names, right from the start. 

No, what they did was an after effect, when the person was reported. There was no prevention in place-which is precisely what would be needed-simply, just as with most RL laws, a way to take care of the problem after it happens. That's not a solution, lol, that's a bandaid. Do you know how many different names they would have to create prevention methods for? I don't know the numbers, but I can only imagine they are STAGGERINGLY high, even prohibitively so for preventative measures, to be honest. That is far, far more work than I think anyone should ever expect, much less demand, of LL (and not something I personally believe they are even capable of doing, to be honest).

Ftr, my RL name, is actually taken by someone in sl...and it bugs the living ***** out of me, well, it used to-now I've gotten used to it, I mean, it has been well over 12 years since I first noticed it, lol), mostly because someone would contact her, thinking it was me(the rl me, not my av Tari) and then I'd get IMs or NCs about it because she was "tired of having people talk to me about you"-like it was my damn fault she chose the name of an actual person, lol. In fact,  my very first block EVER was on my own rl name (and I can count on one hand the number of people I've actually blocked...of which there are less than three still on my block list) because it was that friggen annoying. She chose the name, after all, I kinda got saddled with it in rl ;) 

Why are people so absolutely petulant about things that they, clearly, don't understand. We never had a problem with the way things were...LL created a pretend problem, and then told us they were eliminating (insert whatever, in this case, last names). No one was shouting from the rooftops before that "noooooooooooo, I don't want a last name". Why are people so adamantly against it now, when the vast majority(and yes, that IS accurate) want things back the way they were...when things WORKED< and people weren't as befuddled about the naming process, when things functioned just peachy keen. It really did function just fine and there was NO reason, whatsoever, to eliminate the last name thing...none, ever. 

Do you really love your last name of resident that damn much? lol

Totally rhetorical of course....people get bent out of shape over really weird things sometimes, I rarely ever understand it, even when I try to, lol. 

I still think charging a fee for a name is an idiotic choice, and terrible business practice, regardless. 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Point blank: Like it or not selecting a last name from a list is how Linden Lab did it before and how they have decided to do so this time around. 

If you honestly believe you'd somehow be limited by having to choose from a list... There is no helping you. 

How any other service or game handles name creation is absolutely irrelevant. No, really it is. 

You honestly want to be able to fill in both fields? Pitch it directly to Linden Lab (use the JIRA) - maybe they'll listen. 

Either way, going back and forth here is utterly pointless. 

No its not pointless its the only way the labs know how players feel. I am not arguing against people being allowed to pick from a list I am arguing against it being forced to

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

No, what they did was an after effect, when the person was reported. There was no prevention in place-which is precisely what would be needed-simply, just as with most RL laws, a way to take care of the problem after it happens. That's not a solution, lol, that's a bandaid. Do you know how many different names they would have to creation prevention methods for? I don't know the numbers, but I can only imagine they are STAGGERINGLY high, even prohibitively so for preventative measures, to be honest. That is far, far more work than I think anyone should ever expect, much less demand, of LL (and not something I personally believe they are even capable of doing, to be honest).

Ftr, my RL name, is actually taken by someone in sl...and it bugs the living ***** out of me, well, it used to-now I've gotten used to it, I mean, it has been well over 12 years since I first noticed it, lol), mostly because someone would contact her, thinking it was me(the rl me, not my av Tari) and then I'd get IMs or NCs about it because she was "tired of having people talk to me about you"-like it was my fkn fault she chose th r name of an actual person, lol. In fact,  my very first block EVER was on my own rl name (and I can count on one hand the number of people I've actually blocked...of which there are less than three still on my block list) because it was that friggen annoying. She chose the name, after all, I kinda got saddled with it in rl ;) 

Why are people so absolutely petulant about things that they, clearly, don't understand. We never had a problem with the way things were...LL created a pretend problem, and then told us they were eliminating (insert whatever, in this case, last names). No one was shouting from the rooftops before that "noooooooooooo, I don't want a last name". Why are people so adamantly against it now, when the vast majority(and yes, that IS accurate) want things back the way they were...when things WORKED< and people weren't as befuddled about the naming process, when things functioned just peachy keen. It really did function just fine and there was NO reason, whatsoever, to eliminate the last name thing...none, ever. 

Do you really love your last name of resident that damn much? lol

Totally rhetorical of course....people get bent out of shape over really weird things sometimes, I rarely ever understand it, even when I try to, lol. 

I still think charging a fee for a name is an idiotic choice, and terrible business practice, regardless. 

I prefer an invisible resident name to having some lame arsed linden name forced on me yes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

I prefer an invisible resident name to having some lame arsed linden name forced on me yes

I'm not certain what you mean by invisible...your last name is resident, everyone can see it, it's not invisible. Could you expand upon that part a bit, so I can understand your POV better? 

over my head currently is displayed my display name and my display name kanry drago and my user name KanryDrago....resident does not appear. I dont want to see Kanrydrago some*****lindenname over my head

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.