The Latest on Last Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Laughs, well this has been fun, but utterly pointless.

I loved it when we had last names, was against going to the current "Resident" format. The old system did work fine, but I don't see what is wrong with giving people the choice of making their own.  Again allowing people to create their own name is just a form of making the avatar more personal.

23 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

No its not pointless its the only way the labs know how players feel. I am not arguing against people being allowed to pick from a list I am arguing against it being forced to

That's nice, sweety. 

The forum is mostly for discussion between users - it is not a customer feedback or suggestion venue. That's the JIRA.

Your "argument" can be boiled down to choosing from a list stifling creativity and not being the norm/what you're used to. 

A few people with lackluster imaginations aside, you can get quite creative with the system they're reimplimenting. One of the last names of yore was Infinity, one user chose to reference the infinite nature of the Universe with their user name. Another last name of yore was Core. I'm fairly certain you can guess how some used that. 

The second part of your apparent "argument" is quite irrelevant. 

Edited by Solar Legion

17 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

over my head currently is displayed my display name and my display name kanry drago and my user name KanryDrago....resident does not appear. I dont want to see Kanrydrago some*****lindenname over my head

Gotcha..I don't agree with your stance, but at least I understand what you meant by invisible

Still...your last name is resident, which is about as non-creative as one can get, so, while I get your position of desiring the ability to create one's own last name, more specifically, be unique, I can't understand the shouting from the rooftops from someone who has the least creative last name, ok the only last name lol, currently available.

I've honestly never met someone in sl, or the various incarnations of the forums we've had over the years, that was so adamantly for leaving resident as a last name. In fact, I've never met anyone that ever wanted it at all, including LL employees that also didn't support the removal of last names (because it was unnecessary, and remains so today).

Interesting discussion, I suppose, lol. 

Why would I want random generic linden dictated name. I vote leave the current system if I have to choose between that and some name I dont want. I prefer a system where people get the name they want however

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Might want to brush up on your reading comprehension there. 

I stated no preference concerning name creation.

That you took it as such showcases your mentality quite well, as does your assumption that being given a list somehow stifles creativity. 

Have fun with your pointless argument and file a JIRA if you're so serious about your suggestion.

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you. All I have done is stated dont force me to choose a surname i dont want. Why do you believe i shouldnt have that choice?

Edited by KanryDrago
  • Like 1

Time and again I have said I am happy for surnames to come back as long as we have a choice not to pick one. People like you are the only ones advocating lack of choice insisting we should have too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you. All I have done is stated dont force me to choose a surname i dont want. Why do you believe i shouldnt have that choice?

But, you WERE forced to choose a surname you didn't want...which negates your entire argument (and is likely what is confusing people about your stance, lol)

Would you have chosen Resident as a last name? (I mean, come on, it's so...lacking creativity, it's laughable, even to most folks who work at LL, lol)

If you didn't choose it, it was forced on you, thereby, not your choice.  Which, according to your argument, you are against.

A list of names still, at least, offers choice, the last name Resident, offers none at all.  Though I do understand your preference to choose BOTH names, I get that, and actually agree it might be nice IF they could manage...but since we know LL cannot(for various reasons already stated), SOME choices are better than none at all...I would think.

Perhaps you don't agree that some choice is better than none at all, I don't know. But your words are reading as if you think choice is a good thing, and right now...folks have no choice at all. 

• Like 4

What I or any other user believes is irrelevant. We're not the ones you have to convince - Linden Lab is. 

The forum is for user to user discussion and very rarely results in feature additions/alterations by the Lab. There is a reason I keep mentioning the JIRA - bringing back last names came up in discussion here in the forum AND had several JIRA entries dedicated to it. 

Go. There. 

Just now, KanryDrago said:

Because if I had to choose a name it would be displayed how hard is this to comprehend. I DO NOT WANT THE LINDENS DECIDING WHAT HALF OF MY *****ING NAME WILL BE

BUT THEY DID!!!

See, I can yell like a loon too, lol.

How are you not getting that others SEE your resident name, it is part of your av name, it is used for countless products all over the grid, it is in your profile, it is you, Resident is part of your name, that YOU didn't choose, LL chose it...half of it, lol.

You're making circles for an argument that makes no sense. You can't argue for choice with that kind of defense, when what you have now, is precisely what you're yelling about not wanting. 

Just now, Tari Landar said:

BUT THEY DID!!!

See, I can yell like a loon too, lol.

How are you not getting that others SEE your resident name, it is part of your av name, it is used for countless products all over the grid, it is in your profile, it is you, Resident is part of your name, that YOU didn't choose, LL chose it...half of it, lol.

You're making circles for an argument that makes no sense. You can't argue for choice with that kind of defense, when what you have now, is precisely what you're yelling about not wanting. 

Perhaps because I dont care what the ***** others see I dont have to see it what you see lacks importance

Just now, KanryDrago said:

Perhaps because I dont care what the ***** others see I dont have to see it what you see lacks importance

We will never interact why the hell would I care. The only time I see the word resident is when I need to type it into a script

• Like 1

Dear lord.....

When a defense starts negating the current position, but someone still uses it as a defense...I need to bow out, lmao

Face it, your argument holds no water, whatsoever, when your reasoning is "I don't want LL to choose my name for me". They did buddy...they did, rofl. No matter how many folks you bring to the forums to support your position, your argument is holier than the pope himself at this point.

I actually agreed with ya on a portion of your stance, until you started making weird circular arguments against what you current have, while supporting what you currently have...You're going to get dizzy doing that :D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

JIRA is for changes I am not asking for a change I am asking to stay the same for *****s sake. 

If the last names come back, nobody is forced to change their existing name. You can remain the same. Satisfied now?

• Like 2

People have been saying in this thread that all people should get to change their name Coby which is where I came in and said fine as long as we dont have to go pick some crap linden name. That has been what i have been saying all along. I dont want a linden surname dont force me to have one. For some reason that seems unreasonable to you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Dear lord.....

When a defense starts negating the current position, but someone still uses it as a defense...I need to bow out, lmao

Face it, your argument holds no water, whatsoever, when your reasoning is "I don't want LL to choose my name for me". They did buddy...they did, rofl. No matter how many folks you bring to the forums to support your position, your argument is holier than the pope himself at this point.

I actually agreed with ya on a portion of your stance, until you started making weird circular arguments against what you current have, while supporting what you currently have...You're going to get dizzy doing that :D

My argument has remained consistent. I like the ways things are now do not make me choose a linden surname. I havent wavered from that. My stance remains the resident portion doesnt get displayed on firestorm or the sl viewer for any resident and I am happy with that. The only time it has to be used is various scripted items. The linden surnames do get displayed.

I really dont care what you think it still remains accurate and frankly you are just nitpicking

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

People have been saying in this thread that all people should get to change their name Coby which is where I came in and said fine as long as we dont have to go pick some crap linden name. That has been what i have been saying all along. I dont want a linden surname dont force me to have one. For some reason that seems unreasonable to you

Yes, people get to change their name if they want to. But nobody is forced to change their name though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The JIRA is for feature requests, bug reporting and such. 

You want them to alter their plans regarding last names, that still falls under the umbrella of the JIRA.

They are going to implement Last Names again, allowing Premium Users to change their entire user name IF they so desire and they may charge a nominal fee as well. 

No one will be forced to change their name if they do not wish to do so. 

If you want the ability to decide what your name will be - both first and last (meaning no list) - then use the proper channel to make that suggestion. 

Which is, drum roll please... The JIRA.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.