The Latest on Last Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

For example:

• You have an account/login name which must be unique (User453* or whatever) and is chosen at account creation. The account name is hidden in all aspects of SL, so wont show in profile, search, MP, forums etc (makes the account more secure as people can't see any aspect of your login details at all anywhere).
  • You also have a Display name which works as it does now. You also choose your display name at account creation for your avatar with a clause under stating that this Display Name is what your avatar will be shown as in all aspects of SL, however, can be changed at a minimal fee of L$20 (or whatever) at any time or make it so that you have to be in the first tier of premium to change your display name.
  • Any legacy name either last name or resident, upon login when the system is implemented, is given a dialog requiring the user to enter a new display name (for free) explaining the above as a reason. Their last name or resident name is automatically defaulted as their account/login name and then hidden in all areas of SL.

This might have worked in the beginning, but would require far more programming changes than what they have to do just to bring back last names and allow username changes.

Thus, in a nutshell, it won't happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This might have worked in the beginning, but would require far more programming changes than what they have to do just to bring back last names and allow username changes.

Thus, in a nutshell, it won't happen.

Yes, I figured that would be the case as mentioned at the end of my post however, whilst it may take more programming changes and resources now; at least it would secure a more viable, profitable and simpler username system and sign in process for the future that would far outweigh the overall initial set-up time/cost. If we are stuck with the current version of Second Life without the prospect or viability of another iteration, then it is these changes that need to be made to ensure that the already dated program continues to have a future. Not what seems, are just half measures or a Band-Aid. Half measures have always plagued LL's ideas and implementations. These result in further complicated, costly and/or irreversible decisions like the user/last name issue we face at the moment.

Another (slightly off topic) prime example being the mesh body issues we face now (some may disagree). By not having the foresight of updating the default body to a better mesh one (despite users telling them to at the time) as part of the new mesh system, it has not only resulted in a more complicated mesh body system that not only hinders and perhaps deters new users but also, has resulted in the necessity of trying to implement further changes to other older program systems. If done correct the first time it would have resulted in a far better system garnering existing users, increasing user retention, simplifying and expanding user creation and all the while not needing additional resources to re-invent the wheel in an already complicated system. These decisions resulted in baked on mesh which now suffers the same half measures taken with what seems to have the issue of not being able to utilise the materials system - a backward decision.

It is this kind of backward decision making that really just shows the lack of foresight and dare I say it, incompetence of Linden Lab to not be able, at the first instance, implement such simple systems. Instead we are now left with a complicated system that, with the reintroduction of last names is bound to conflict with the now widely used display name resulting in further confusion for users. It also creates unnecessary options as well as in all good business sense an unprofitable solution. I'm sure there are some that want a last name and will pay the double fee of premium and name change, but why anyone would pay for a last name when a person can simply change their display name for free and turn off the option to show legacy/user names, I do not understand.

Edited by Drayke Newall
typo's

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2018 at 6:55 PM, Callum Meriman said:

My guess...

The reason given in the past was to ensure no "bad" names snuck in. Masked swear words in other languages, clever word play that was X rated.

We know our UUID is fixed and based on name from previous threads. We know that changing a name is rather difficult and ends up meaning the change needs to be done in the world, in the marketplace, in the forums, maybe other places.

So what happens if people create a name that is a masked swear?

We know that the original design was butt-faced-stupid that such administrative name changes would have been impossible. There wasn't much solution outside of what we got thanks to the rigidity of choosing the name to generate the UUID and no mapping in the database to allow for administrative changes.

The result was a list of pre-vetted innocuous names that could reduce the problem.

Patch has said he was responsible for the list. It was also said the reason last names were stopped as it was a huge amount of work, finding safe names in all languages took a lot of time.

Bad design.

I welcome dakota and patch to correct any mistakes there. I doubt they will, they might get the idea the residents are not happy with this plan for double dipping, and also reinforcing the bad design choices, as it stands.

Time for open last names. Use an administrative change to get rid of the rude ones.

I just signed up for another virtual world i heard about. when i went to choose a name i typed my mains name exactly as it appears in second life first name space last name,  no fuss no muss.

I have no idea why it cant be the same to sign up for second life,

• Like 1

I personally don't find the *iusta de causa in implementing a limited list, as well as charging a exorbitant amount for a custom name. I also don't get why it should be premium exclusive, and even then, why tiers of premium should even be a thing.

On 6/8/2018 at 6:55 PM, Callum Meriman said:

My guess...

The reason given in the past was to ensure no "bad" names snuck in. Masked swear words in other languages, clever word play that was X rated.

We know our UUID is fixed and based on name from previous threads. We know that changing a name is rather difficult and ends up meaning the change needs to be done in the world, in the marketplace, in the forums, maybe other places.

So what happens if people create a name that is a masked swear?

We know that the original design was butt-faced-stupid that such administrative name changes would have been impossible. There wasn't much solution outside of what we got thanks to the rigidity of choosing the name to generate the UUID and no mapping in the database to allow for administrative changes.

The result was a list of pre-vetted innocuous names that could reduce the problem.

Patch has said he was responsible for the list. It was also said the reason last names were stopped as it was a huge amount of work, finding safe names in all languages took a lot of time.

Bad design.

I welcome dakota and patch to correct any mistakes there. I doubt they will, they might get the idea the residents are not happy with this plan for double dipping, and also reinforcing the bad design choices, as it stands.

Time for open last names. Use an administrative change to get rid of the rude ones.

This. Add a advanced filter for profanities and open up the last names. I'd rather not have to pay out the derriere to finally change my name to Nodoka Hanamura, rather than this reference that makes no sense to 99% of anyone on the damn grid.

*just cause

Edited by Rathgrith027
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rathgrith027 said:

I personally don't find the *iusta de causa in implementing a limited list, as well as charging a exorbitant amount for a custom name. I also don't get why it should be premium exclusive, and even then, why tiers of premium should even be a thing.

I have to say I side opposite with you on this.

I think that yes, the ability to change names should be a premium perk. It adds value to the subscription price I pay for premium. Voice Morphing is also a premium thing, but I (and many) just have no interest in that. Name-Change is a highly-wanted feature. Being on the fence about upgrading to premium? Ability to change your name will easily push a lot of people over that fence.

As for "exorbitant fees": what's exorbitant to you may be throw-away money to someone else; it's all about value. I also like the idea of choosing from a list for last names - not because of the restrictiveness of it, but rather that it creates "extended families". I've always felt that if I ever see anyone else with the same last name as I have that we are extended family. And it's a great ice-breaker for chatting, too.

In any case, however they decide to do and whatever requirement they will require to do, it will be up to the Linden Gods and it will be what it will be.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Rathgrith027 said:

as well as charging a exorbitant amount for a custom name.

We don't yet know what the fee will be for the change and since LL wants to make money off of this, I highly doubt that the fee will be "exorbitant" for the majority of people.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:30 PM, Phil Deakins said:

That should have been there from the very beginning. I actually remember thinking that i'd be able to tweak my name when I got in but, of course, I couldn't. I imagine that those whose names start with a lower case letter thought the same.

You can get a lower case letter made upper case by raising a support ticket.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

You can get a lower case letter made upper case by raising a support ticket.

I wasn't aware of that - perhaps I'll go that route - if I decide I want to do something about my name starting with a lowercase letter.  I had been debating about whether I really needed a last name, and someone had suggested I might want to do it in order to 'fix' the lowercase letter issue.

10 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I wasn't aware of that - perhaps I'll go that route - if I decide I want to do something about my name starting with a lowercase letter.  I had been debating about whether I really needed a last name, and someone had suggested I might want to do it in order to 'fix' the lowercase letter issue.

You already have a last name and so does everyone one else who's created an account since the last name selection went away. Your last name is Resident (yes, even that is capitalized) :) - Scripts pull your information through your UUID and such, not your name. When they chat stuff, however, then they will often add Resident as the last name unless the scripter writes code to not do that (as I understand it; I am not a pro scripter, more of a dabbler).

My only real point is that "Display Names" really don't take place of your account name. I, and I'm sure most others, always set my viewer preference to include the account name in that bubble over your head. It's the only way I can keep straight on who's who any more. :)

23 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

You already have a last name and so does everyone one else who's created an account since the last name selection went away. Your last name is Resident (yes, even that is capitalized) :) - Scripts pull your information through your UUID and such, not your name. When they chat stuff, however, then they will often add Resident as the last name unless the scripter writes code to not do that (as I understand it; I am not a pro scripter, more of a dabbler).

My only real point is that "Display Names" really don't take place of your account name. I, and I'm sure most others, always set my viewer preference to include the account name in that bubble over your head. It's the only way I can keep straight on who's who any more. :)

Yes :) I should have said "last name other than Resident."  

I usually have my preferences to not show the 'Resident' part of names, and to show both the display name and account name.   Otherwise, it can get confusing when some people change their display often (or when it's not readable because of the font or other strange characters).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rathgrith027 said:

@Alyona Su @LittleMe Jewell

What I was speaking of, was the Exorbitant prices for a custom last name as they are right now. That and I don't think anyone outside of a select few in SL actually have 500 USD laying around to burn on a name change.

I think those were really just for corporate accounts anyway.

• Like 2

There have been in the past occasions when GROUPS (such as Harvard) had a last name for folks enrolled in their classes as part of an "SL experience" :D.  So I am guessing that might be where the $500 ("rumor"?) comes in but that wasn't for ONE name, that was for many many names to connect them to the class project. 

There hasn't been any official mention of custom names in the new names area that I have heard about. It is a pick from a list of last names THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN USED BEFORE thing and yes, "premium" has been mentioned often so likely not something that anyone will be able to do (or they might change their minds on this; we don't know).   The fee will be in dollars (as reported) and I agree that it won't be "exorbitant" or there will be no takers and that pretty much negates the whole opportunity. 

Feel free to ask at the Town Hall Meeting in September. 

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

There have been in the past occasions when GROUPS (such as Harvard) had a last name for folks enrolled in their classes as part of an "SL experience" :D.  So I am guessing that might be where the $500 ("rumor"?) comes in but that wasn't for ONE name, that was for many many names to connect them to the class project. 

There hasn't been any official mention of custom names in the new names area that I have heard about. It is a pick from a list of last names THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN USED BEFORE thing and yes, "premium" has been mentioned often so likely not something that anyone will be able to do (or they might change their minds on this; we don't know).   The fee will be in dollars (as reported) and I agree that it won't be "exorbitant" or there will be no takers and that pretty much negates the whole opportunity. 

Feel free to ask at the Town Hall Meeting in September. 

Yeah, I'm hypothesizing between $5 and $10, though $10 would likely be too high, $5 would be a sweet spot - inexpensive enough that people will do it on impulse (and think carefully on their chosen name,) yet expensive enough that it shouldn't be abused (which I understand is the reason for charging for it to begin with).

21 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Yeah, I'm hypothesizing between $5 and $10, though $10 would likely be too high, $5 would be a sweet spot - inexpensive enough that people will do it on impulse (and think carefully on their chosen name,) yet expensive enough that it shouldn't be abused (which I understand is the reason for charging for it to begin with).

My speculation is on an escalating scale.  The first is free, then US$5.00, then doubling ever time after. 10, 20, 40 and so on.  Or something like that

3 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

My speculation is on an escalating scale.  The first is free, then US$5.00, then doubling ever time after. 10, 20, 40 and so on.  Or something like that

The "doubling" is an interesting concept, though I think they have already said that even the first one will cost something.

7 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

For all the .Residents, I hope it is dirt cheap and payable in L$.  It not like they had a choice.

That is what I've said from day one, but apparently you will first have to be Premium and then pay a fee on top of that.

16 hours ago, Rathgrith027 said:

@Alyona Su @LittleMe Jewell

What I was speaking of, was the Exorbitant prices for a custom last name as they are right now. That and I don't think anyone outside of a select few in SL actually have 500 USD laying around to burn on a name change.

as others said... this isnt available for "just" a resident, it has to be a bit more, the price isn't exorbitant, it's for business accounts.

from the wiki:

Custom surnames

Upon creation of a custom surname, the account designated as owner will be billed a US$500 setup fee plus the first annual US$500 fee. On each anniversary date, the owner will be billed US$500 to retain custom surname ownership. Last names must clearly be an organizational or corporate name, and distinguished from personal last names (surnames). For example, "Smith" is not acceptable, but "SmithCorp," "SmithInc," "SmithProducts" or "SmithConstruction" are. Linden Lab will consider names that are clearly made up or composite (for example, "SecondLife" or "Agilent").

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Custom_Name_Program#Request_procedure

@Ebbe Linden @Linden Lab
I think that the last name and name change thing along these lines would be really great:

1. All who create new account would have last name for free.
2. All existing avatars with last name "Resident" could change their name one time for free.
3. All other and subsequent name changes would have a fee.
4. No need to be premium member to change the name.

It was after all a very bad and not well thought decision from Linden Lab to stop the last name availability. :(
So make it good again. Thank you. :)

• Like 4

I totally agree with the first 3, but I don't have an opinion about the 4th one. It would be a decent perk for having a premium account.

I said at the start that .Residents should be able to acquire a last name for free. I'm very strongly opinionated about that.

I'm also very strong that new accounts should be able to pick a last name without any cost.

But it looks like LL is bent on using it as a money-earner. They don't show any concern about having landed so many accounts with Resident when all accounts used to be able to choose a last name. They see it as an extra, and not as we see it (putting something back they took away). The same attitude would consider disabling the ability to build from all but premium accounts, if it weren't that building for commerce has been moved out of SL altogether.

Edited by Phil Deakins

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

For all the .Residents, I hope it is dirt cheap and payable in L$.  It not like they had a choice.

It takes about 15 seconds to sell L$ on the exchange. So this would be a good thing for people to learn how to do it.

18 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

It takes about 15 seconds to sell L$ on the exchange. So this would be a good thing for people to learn how to do it.

If it's not going to be payable in L$'s, unless one is making lindens inworld, it wouldn't really make sense to sell lindens for this purpose.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.