LittleMe Jewell

The Latest on Last Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

If it's not going to be payable in L$'s, unless one is making lindens inworld, it wouldn't really make sense to sell lindens for this purpose.  

If you're not buying L$ and aren't making any in-world, then it is, logically-speaking, impossible that you would bother to spend any money, virtual or otherwise on any service, including this because you are just way too cheap. So rather than playing the theoretical hair-splitting that we all know is nonsense, how about we just be real for a change?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

If you're not buying L$ and aren't making any in-world, then it is, logically-speaking, impossible that you would bother to spend any money, virtual or otherwise on any service, including this because you are just way too cheap. So rather than playing the theoretical hair-splitting that we all know is nonsense, how about we just be real for a change?

I didn't say anything about buying or not buying L$.  Perhaps I misunderstood your original comment that I initially responded to.

What I meant was that if it required USD, and one  wasn't making L$ inworld through sales or services,  it would be easier to use whatever your payment method was to pay for it, rather than buying and then selling L$ on the exchange.  If it turns out to be a premium perk, one would have a payment method on file.

• Like 2

Just now, moirakathleen said:

I didn't say anything about buying or not buying L$.  Perhaps I misunderstood your original comment that I initially responded to.

What I meant was that if it required USD, and one  wasn't making L$ inworld through sales or services,  it would be easier to use whatever your payment method was to pay for it, rather than buying and then selling L$ on the exchange.  If it turns out to be a premium perk, one would have a payment method on file.

Ah, okay. I agree with that. I may have missed the part where you mentioned the default payment thing. I get so knee-jerk-reactive at the snowflake-entitlement types and I thought you were taking their side in such. LOL

I'm sorry for insulting you by thinking that way, even if for a fleeting moment!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Ah, okay. I agree with that. I may have missed the part where you mentioned the default payment thing. I get so knee-jerk-reactive at the snowflake-entitlement types and I thought you were taking their side in such. LOL

I'm sorry for insulting you by thinking that way, even if for a fleeting moment!

It's cool :)   I didn't explain it well enough at first, I think.  If you ever see me taking the side of snowflake-entitlement, feel free to bop me on the head.

3 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

It's cool :)   I didn't explain it well enough at first, I think.  If you ever see me taking the side of snowflake-entitlement, feel free to bop me on the head.

Nah, I would never do that. :)

/me breaks-out the super-size nerf bat for head-bopping and ducks it behind her back as her eyes aimlessly wander across the ceiling as she whistles some unfamiliar improvised tune...

• Haha 4

On 8/28/2018 at 7:52 PM, Garnet Psaltery said:

You can get a lower case letter made upper case by raising a support ticket.

On 8/28/2018 at 8:15 PM, moirakathleen said:

I wasn't aware of that - perhaps I'll go that route - if I decide I want to do something about my name starting with a lowercase letter.  I had been debating about whether I really needed a last name, and someone had suggested I might want to do it in order to 'fix' the lowercase letter issue.

No....no you can't. Trust me I tried on my main account to have the first letter of my first name made uppercase. The answer was a resounding NO from the lab. 

Edited by PhantomPixel
  • Like 1

Just now, PhantomPixel said:

No....no you can't. Trust me I tried on my main account to have the first letter of my first name made uppercase. The answer was a resounding NO from the lab. 

Oh, I am sorry.  It used to be the case, so I am evidently behind the times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Oh, I am sorry.  It used to be the case, so I am evidently behind the times.

Yeah, its annoying. My main account has a lowercase first name and without a display name it looks so utterly daft. I just went through my support history to double check and yeah the answer is a resounding no xD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paisleex said:

Second month into 2019 now, any new updates on the last names? 😏

Nope - it has been totally quiet since the Townhall last Nov.

On 6/3/2018 at 12:35 PM, Tari Landar said:

... I'm just saying, your average online user isn't going to want to pay to have a last name, so the problem with "no useful account names" will continue to persist, especially when coupled with the lack of any useful info on the sign up page regarding names, how to create them, that one should do so with a bit of thought because he/she will be "stuck" with that as a character name (yes, avs are characters to the average online user, lol). People will continue to be befuddled, even scared away, by the lack of useful user names. Some will settle, of course, but a lot won't, because it's annoying to have to pay for something so trivial as a character name-again, to the average online user. 

This is my absolute main gripe about the SL "character creation" process, if you can call it that. When I created my account I assumed that like with Steam or most gaming platforms or online games, I would have an account name that only I saw, as it was part of my actual account, you know, where my money and personal info would be contained. Then a level inside that would be where I would create my in game persona, which would be visible to all. So you can imagine my dismay when I found that even though I can make a display name, others still see my "actual" name. I'm honestly not sure why I didn't make a new account right then, but I think it had something to do with the fact that I was pretty sure I was not going to stick around long. So... almost four years later I am "stuck" with this. Alas. I do hope last names come soon. I also hope LL reads these threads and someone decides it is worth rewriting the info on that page of the sign up process. Seriously.

EirenHalWater Resident (wtf, mate)

P.S. the "Hal" in the middle of my name was because I was confusing SecondLife with HalfLife at the time of joining. Not kidding.

Now my dirty secret is finally out.

Edited by EirenHalWater
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haven't read this thread in a long while but for those just joining the conversation, the last "price" mentioned by a Linden was around $35 to change a name (this at a Town Hall meeting). That could change of course; not etched in stone, but a pretty hefty fee so something to think about. Also not happening speedily as we know now :D.  

My alt got one of the last last names. I snuck her in from a educational link that was closed not long after :D.  But I am happy she has a last name!   It WAS easier long ago when you picked out a first name and then chose from a list of last names (which changed fairly often).  Much more intuitive and hopefully that will return whenever the last names get rolled out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EirenHalWater said:

So you can imagine .................others still see my "actual" name.

no most of us won't and can't ... we'r with around 57 million others that deal with it.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

/me points at his name.  I use Moe, have used moe since I started.  few forum people still call me by the full name, which makes me cringe,  There is a moe Whitfield account , which is not mine, which I would LOVED to have, but seeing the rules for this,  I can not change to it, so I'm just going to stick with my display name usage.

4 hours ago, EirenHalWater said:

This is my absolute main gripe about the SL "character creation" process, if you can call it that. When I created my account I assumed that like with Steam or most gaming platforms or online games, I would have an account name that only I saw, as it was part of my actual account, you know, where my money and personal info would be contained. Then a level inside that would be where I would create my in game persona, which would be visible to all. So you can imagine my dismay when I found that even though I can make a display name, others still see my "actual" name. I'm honestly not sure why I didn't make a new account right then, but I think it had something to do with the fact that I was pretty sure I was not going to stick around long. So... almost four years later I am "stuck" with this. Alas. I do hope last names come soon. I also hope LL reads these threads and someone decides it is worth rewriting the info on that page of the sign up process. Seriously.

EirenHalWater Resident (wtf, mate)

P.S. the "Hal" in the middle of my name was because I was confusing SecondLife with HalfLife at the time of joining. Not kidding.

Now my dirty secret is finally out.

At least you used Capital letters. It still boggles my mind how many people (even when one chose a last name from a list) didn't think to capitalize their first name. I never considered NOT starting my name with a capital letter. I figured if caps were not allowed, the sign up would tell me.

*shaking my head... some people*

• Like 3

Let's hope that if they actually do this, that it won't be a THIRD name. I mean, so that over your head,  you'll have:

Newname WithLastName
Display Name
username

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 8:34 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

/me points at his name.  I use Moe, have used moe since I started.  few forum people still call me by the full name, which makes me cringe,  There is a moe Whitfield account , which is not mine, which I would LOVED to have, but seeing the rules for this,  I can not change to it, so I'm just going to stick with my display name usage.

Idk, I like it. "BigMoe" makes me think of you like as a Furry gangster enforcer. You go around collecting all of the $L debts people owe in world and if they don't pay you just keep stacking prims on top of them as some kind of torture until they can't take any more and either cough up the money or log out 😁. Or if someone somewhere in SL is having trouble with another avatar you just call "BigMoe" who comes over and sorts them out.

• Haha 1

I was so uninformed that I used my name and last name initial, just like on my other forums.

Never gave it a thought.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 5:05 PM, KanryDrago said:

hmmm you pick your last name from a list? Pass thanks can't see that enticing many to part with cash

Im with Kanry. I just wanted to 'drop the resident part'.   Im happy with my name. 

But seems we have to chose from the list, so I will not be changing. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 1:43 PM, Coby Foden said:

So, the flood of crazy single names will continue. Very bad decision. :(

Some examples what names people have created:
allnamesarealreadytake
AllNamesAreBeingUsed
ALLNAMESARETAKENADAMMIT
Allnamesaretakenareyouserious
AllNamesAreTakenButImHotB1tch
allnamesaretakenincludingthis1
ALLNAMESARETAKENPLZKILLMEEEEE

etc, etc, etc...

@Ebbe Linden
Doesn't look like pleasant account creation process. ¬¬

lol

On 6/4/2018 at 3:16 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

how you think we got ours :) also not a selfmade one, yep...a list
but hey you cán get your custom name, it's however not used a lot as far i know.

Costs?..yes of course: first year 1000 USD, after that 500 yearly ...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Custom_Name_Program

wtf.  I thought, you were kidding... but..... SERIOUSLY?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CheriColette said:

Im with Kanry. I just wanted to 'drop the resident part'.   Im happy with my name. 

But seems we have to chose from the list, so I will not be changing. 

once back in the olden days, I choosed my name, then SL gave me my own last name ... why I thought it would be cool to get it as close to RL as I could I would never know... I should'a held out for babygurl69 sewell....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kershe said:

Let's hope that if they actually do this, that it won't be a THIRD name. I mean, so that over your head,  you'll have:

Newname WithLastName
Display Name
username

Based on everything they have said, it will completely replace 'username'.  Though your original name will still be associated with you in the back end database and if someone did a search of your original name, they would find your current name.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CheriColette said:

we have to chose from the list, so I will not be changing. 

it's the only way to prevent the absurdity we also see in use of the display names.... unreadable, unpronouncable, obscene use, numbers and other annoyances.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.