The Latest on Last Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

it's the only way to prevent the absurdity we also see in use of the display names.... unreadable, unpronouncable, obscene use, numbers and other annoyances.

I've joined several other virtual worlds and every time there were two fields to input a first name and a last name, and of course I entered BilliJo Aldrin.

Despite the protestations of the Lindens, there is absolutely no reason the same thing could not be in place in the Second Life registration.

It's not "we can't do it" its "we refuse to do it"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/4/2018 at 3:05 AM, KanryDrago said:

hmmm you pick your last name from a list? Pass thanks can't see that enticing many to part with cash

Most people did that. But there was a site that listed last names in use (http://slnamewatch.com/?action=list_records&status_filter=all&sort_order=DESC&order_by=usage_count), and you could dig around in there and find one you liked.

There were also sites where you could sign up with the first and last name of your choice, as long as it wasn't already taken, and as long as the last name was an unlocked, bona fide SL last name.  (They would lock a last name for various reasons.)

I went through a lot of silly names and names I thought were cool that way.

On the other hand, the official SL signup form gave you a choice of a few last names, and if you didn't like any of them you could keep refreshing the page until one you like popped up. It wasn't always easy, but it was hard work that paid off.

Edited by kershe

On 2/4/2019 at 2:49 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Haven't read this thread in a long while but for those just joining the conversation, the last "price" mentioned by a Linden was around $35 to change a name (this at a Town Hall meeting). That could change of course; not etched in stone, but a pretty hefty fee so something to think about. Also not happening speedily as we know now :D.  

Lol. No. I don't need to be cool that badly. I might consider it for $5, but not for $35.

Edited by HarrisonMcKenzie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Lol. No. I don't need to be cool that badly. I might consider it for $5, but not for $35.

Yeah, it seems a bit of a high price if you're only able to select from a list. For that amount I would expect to be able to enter my own name of choice.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 3:35 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I've joined several other virtual worlds and every time there were two fields to input a first name and a last name, and of course I entered BilliJo Aldrin.

Breaking news! There are now onine services that accept a space as a perfectly valid character in a username! I know it sounds incredulous but it's true and it means you can have not only first and last names but a few middle names too.

On the bright side, at least SL is modern enough it doesn't limit usernames to eight ascii characters only.

14 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

Why did they get rid of last names in the first place?

Then genearl conception at the time was that it had something to do with Facebook integration. Whether or not that is true, I know not.  The PEOPLE didn't want it to happen and made that abundantly clear :D. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

Why did they get rid of last names in the first place?

10 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Then genearl conception at the time was that it had something to do with Facebook integration. Whether or not that is true, I know not.  The PEOPLE didn't want it to happen and made that abundantly clear :D. 

In the words of a Linden who was tasked to write the code to remove last names: https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2018/03/sl-james-cook-linden-world-last-names.html

Whenever you have a registration flow for any service you lose signups for each additional step. Picking a last name from a list is unusual for an online service. Potential new users were pretty confused: "Why can't I just use the username I use everywhere else?" and/or "Why can't I just use my real name?".

• Like 1

I agree that picking a last name from a list is unusal but it is very common for mmo games that there is a separate account name and a character name and no one really gets confused with that. This is actually what I expected when I created this avi, that LL finally understood and implemented that, because when you create new account it says ”you will use your username to login”, but it doesn’t say ”it is also your avatar name”. This is what migth be confusing for younger users, who play mmo games a lot, like why I can’t name my character now? I thought the same, now I am stuck now with a variation of my nickname and I hate it. 

Edited by Kotelle
eta
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

In the words of a Linden who was tasked to write the code to remove last names: https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2018/03/sl-james-cook-linden-world-last-names.html

Their approach would be fine if at least one person at LL had read Account Security 101. With a system with no 2FA, to paste one half of your login credentials above your head is a travesty. To do so without even having the decency to warn the new player first is even worse. That's the real reason why you get so many "cookiemonster1983"'s out there, coupled with a perfectly normal display name - no one ever told them they'd be stuck with that garbage floating above their head forever.

So yeah, on topic, I don't even need a last name really. I just want to get rid of this nonsense name, so the 47 variations on "aRe YoU aN aLt?/" will finally stop.

• Like 3

Back in the early times when users had a last name, perhaps informing new users that the name they choose will be their avatar's name wasn't so necessary, because common sense told us that having to jump through hoops to find a reasonable first and last name combination simply wasn't necessary if it's just an account name. So it was reasonably clear that the name would be the avatar's name. Unfortunately, some people at LL don't have the wherewithal up top to realise that, since new users now only choose one username, it is necessary to tell them that it will apply to their avatar. It's just another of the failings that the LL management don't give a monkey's about. It would so easy to add half a sentence of text in the sign-up process, but, when you don't care about users, you don't bother.

Note: I'm assuming that the post before this is correct in that sign-ups are still not told that the name they choose will be their avatar's name. I haven't checked.

• Like 5

Oh, that's too bad.  Not so long ago, there was wording at the point you entered your username that it would be visible to others and could not be changed, and advised you to choose it carefully.  Definite Fail on this one, unless LL is planning to finally take my often-stated advice and establish a private username that is used only for sign-in purposes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh, that's too bad.  Not so long ago, there was wording at the point you entered your username that it would be visible to others and could not be changed, and advised you to choose it carefully.  Definite Fail on this one, unless LL is planning to finally take my often-stated advice and establish a private username that is used only for sign-in purposes.

They could hide everyone's username and force everyone to pick a display name. Mine of course would be BilliJo Aldrin

• Like 1

I don't mind having an in-world name that can't be changed, and in fact I think it is a good idea.  It helps us to keep track of who is who in a world where appearance is infinitely variable.  What I object to is having that in-world name be the same as one of your log-in credentials.  It reduces security to a single failure point, your password.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't mind having an in-world name that can't be changed, and in fact I think it is a good idea.  It helps us to keep track of who is who in a world where appearance is infinitely variable.  What I object to is having that in-world name be the same as one of your log-in credentials.  It reduces security to a single failure point, your password.

Especially taking into account the fact that many of us have either a credit card or a paypal account connected, and the only additional security, when buying L$, is to re-enter the password. So if someone has already guessed my password... yeah... I feel so protected.

So the idea of separating login name (account name) from avatar name is a very good one, as @Lindal Kidd pointed. I really wonder why LL doesn't admit that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Then a new user would need to come up with two different names that are unique in Second Life before they could do anything.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kotelle said:

Our email addresses are unique. Since we have to use them to register anyway, why can't we use them to log in to the account and then, come up with an unique avatar name. This is also very common solution.

You can register multiple accounts under the same email address. Or at least used to be able to.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.