Today I learned ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In the US, “round” bacon is called Canadian Bacon. Normal bacon is in strips, made from pork belly.

The stripy bacon is perfectly OK, but I need that to be just crispy...…..my mouth is watering as I type this...…………….

But the crème de la crème of bacon sandwiches has to be...…….Canadian bacon then...…..

I've only had such a thing twice, and I won't say where because you'll think I'm a posh chick if I do...…………😛

38 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

The stripy bacon is perfectly OK, but I need that to be just crispy...…..my mouth is watering as I type this...…………….

But the crème de la crème of bacon sandwiches has to be...…….Canadian bacon then...…..

I've only had such a thing twice, and I won't say where because you'll think I'm a posh chick if I do...…………😛

McDonald’s has always used CB on the McMuffin as an option. Not posh there lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In the US, “round” bacon is called Canadian Bacon. Normal bacon is in strips, made from pork belly.

In Canada, needless to say, we don't call it "Canadian bacon"; we call it either "peameal" or "back" bacon. And, although you can certainly (usually) buy it in grocery stores, it's not nearly as common, or eaten as frequently, as what you call "normal bacon."

When I've been very very good, I go to the St. Lawrence Market (which is a big farmer's market) here in Toronto on a Saturday morning, and I buy a peameal bacon sandwich, on a kaiser, for breakfast. There are a couple of bakeries there that specialize in it, and there's usually a lineup. And it's delicious.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TatianaNikolay said:

TIL to turn on group only, even if we have a security orb. I was in the house when I was visited by an "artist" trying to "spruce up" mainland. He was able to still tag our fence. 

Snapshot_036.png

Wow, Tati. This is seriously amazing!

Weirdly enough, Maddy and I were talking about graffiti as art -- in both RL and SL -- just yesterday. Mere tags aren't I'll admit, very interesting, but this gives me all kinds of rather wicked ideas!

41 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

McDonald’s has always used CB on the McMuffin as an option. Not posh there lol

McMuffin comes in three types: Egg and pork, egg and another style of pork, and also egg and a third style of pork. It is why certain cultures, I imagine, will never eat an egg mcmuffin because no matter what they call it, pork is as pork does. Oh, and salt. Lots and lots and lots of salt in all their stuff. 

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

McMuffin comes in three types: Egg and pork, egg and another style of pork, and also egg and a third style of pork. It is why certain cultures, I imagine, will never eat an egg mcmuffin because no matter what they call it, pork is as pork does. Oh, and salt. Lots and lots and lots of salt in all their stuff. 

When I worked at McDonald’s in high school (1 summer), one of my tasks was to make the egg McMuffins. Back then it only came one way: Canadian bacon, egg, and cheese on an English muffin. Now, you can get it with no meat ($1), the original way, or with a sausage patty instead of CB.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wow, Tati. This is seriously amazing!

Weirdly enough, Maddy and I were talking about graffiti as art -- in both RL and SL -- just yesterday. Mere tags aren't I'll admit, very interesting, but this gives me all kinds of rather wicked ideas!

He and I had a little chat lol. He wasn't happy that I was home when he did it. He likes to be a vigilante. My man came home as this was happening and went outside to talk to him too lol. It was kind of cool. It's because I had rez rights on , otherwise he wouldn't have been able to with the protected land on the other side of the fence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TatianaNikolay said:

He and I had a little chat lol. He wasn't happy that I was home when he did it. He likes to be a vigilante. My man came home as this was happening and went outside to talk to him too lol. It was kind of cool. It's because I had rez rights on , otherwise he wouldn't have been able to with the protected land on the other side of the fence.

Out of curiosity . . . not that I'm thinking it might be fun to be a graffiti artist myself, of course . . . how was this done? Are these just simple prims with the tags against a transparent background, placed up against the fence?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Out of curiosity . . . not that I'm thinking it might be fun to be a graffiti artist myself, of course . . . how was this done? Are these just simple prims with the tags against a transparent background, placed up against the fence?

That's the general idea, but they're often rooted on a separate prim that's located on land with zero auto-return somewhere within the 55m link limit of wherever the tag prim is to appear. In fact, it's usually the auto-return that makes any difference at all. Making rezzing Group-only doesn't usually deter him because there's almost always somewhere that permits rezzing by Everyone, and he's all set as long as he can find a clear path (object-entry permitted) between that rezzing point and the no-auto-return location.

(Back during the anti-adfarm wars my alts used similar tricks to hide ads until the adfarmers would notice and get the Lindens to return the ad block prims.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

That's the general idea, but they're often rooted on a separate prim that's located on land with zero auto-return somewhere within the 55m link limit of wherever the tag prim is to appear. In fact, it's usually the auto-return that makes any difference at all. Making rezzing Group-only doesn't usually deter him because there's almost always somewhere that permits rezzing by Everyone, and he's all set as long as he can find a clear path (object-entry permitted) between that rezzing point and the no-auto-return location.

(Back during the anti-adfarm wars my alts used similar tricks to hide ads until the adfarmers would notice and get the Lindens to return the ad block prims.)

Some used to defeat auto-return by scripting items to move the root imperceptibly back and forth over the parcel boundaries. 

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Some used to defeat auto-return by scripting items to move the root imperceptibly back and forth over the parcel boundaries. 

I have a little KFM ferry that uses a variant of that trick to crisscross a snowlands stream at an ONSR station. It requires object entry on both parcels, and gets returned every region restart, having overstayed its welcome during the region downtime, so it relies on the fact I own one of the parcels on which it can respawn after being returned.

31 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I would never have taken you for a guerrilla artist/activist Qie. I'm all kinds of impressed!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I have a little KFM ferry that uses a variant of that trick to crisscross a snowlands stream at an ONSR station. It requires object entry on both parcels, and gets returned every region restart, having overstayed its welcome during the region downtime, so it relies on the fact I own one of the parcels on which it can respawn after being returned.

The place I saw this was my old birth / social area Luna, at the end of the trolly line. Someone rigged a wall/sign that never got returned.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I just don't see graffiti as art at all. I see it as urban vandalism, and although we don't get much hereabouts, along the railway/railroad we get awful amateurish drivel on any flat surfaces.

Well, there's art that I personally don't see as "art" either!

It depends upon a great many things, I think. Simple tagging is a form of self-expression which is, at least in theory, adopted by the relatively underprivileged as a means of both giving voice to themselves, and of laying claim to a place that is their "neighbourhood." But it can also be -- usually is, in fact -- really rather drab, predictable, formulaic, and dull. And it can also, of course, be associated with gangs.

Other types of graffiti can be much more artful, and much more politically subversive. Banksy, although a little problematic in some ways, is an instance. Artists such as Basquiat have been very much influenced by the form; in fact, he got his start as a graffiti artist. The political commentary of his art draws very much upon the subversive and anti-colonialist message of his earlier graffiti.

So, some graffiti is unquestionably art. Some is just crap, of course. But all of it is an expression, in one sense or another, of our culture's outsiders.

There are ethical issues, too, of course. I think painting on the side of someone's house, or on the wall of a local mom-and-pop business, is probably unethical, or at least not very nice. Personally, though, I have no problems with intelligent, well-executed, and politically subversive stuff being put up on side of a bank or a Walmart.

In my city, and many others, both the municipal authorities, and even local merchants and business associations, will actually commission works of street art, as a means of beautifying a really rather ugly cityscape. Toronto has "Graffiti Alley," which you'll actually see mentioned in guidebooks for tourists.

https://www.blogto.com/arts/2018/06/graffiti-alley-might-be-be-torontos-most-unexpected-tourist-attraction/

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Added link
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In my city, and many others, both the municipal authorities, and even local merchants and business associations, will actually commission works of street art, as a means of beautifying a really rather ugly cityscape. Toronto has "Graffiti Alley," which you'll actually see mentioned in guidebooks for tourists.

In my area, the murals (“street art”) are an increasing reason for civic pride, and a draw for tourists.

https://www.visitstpeteclearwater.com/list/ultimate-list-of-street-art-st-pete

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

He placed them on a transparent object and put it on my fence. Yeah, some sort of simple prim.

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I just don't see graffiti as art at all. I see it as urban vandalism, and although we don't get much hereabouts, along the railway/railroad we get awful amateurish drivel on any flat surfaces.

I love watching the long coal trains pass though the railroad crossing near my home. Much of the graffiti is banal, but there have been some beautiful pieces. Of the simple text stuff,  the Burma Shave homages are my favorites. Some of those are brilliant, with one phrase per car.

My town of Port Washington has some bland retaining walls that people are invited to decorate with chalk art. Upcoming free movies in the Veteran's Park Bandshell are sometimes advertised in chalk on a nearby wall by city employees who draw characters from the movies. It's great fun to see their original work embellished by others over the course of a week or so, and I especially love the little scribbles that sometimes show up about two feet off the ground, the clear handiwork of little ones in training to be the next Banksy.

The nearby city of Milwaukee, like Scylla's Toronto, commissions, both publicly and privately, glorious murals on otherwise unsightly surfaces. They have anti-graffiti efforts as well, but they try to get ahead of it by building civic pride, as Love describes.

As for SL graffiti, I did some in my early days here, by wearing alpha textured prims and striking static poses in front of things I wanted to tag. I often wore an alpha skin so I'd not appear in the image. Ultimately, it was easier for me to work outside of SL, in Photoshop. I have a Flickr gallery of other people's feed images I've modified over the years. I'd manipulate their snapshots, then post a link back to my Flickr version in their feed. My work makes little sense without seeing that I started with, but it's still there. Now I do it to images you people leave for me here.

• Like 3

I've developed a habit of photographing street art and mural painting on the sides of buildings when I travel.  There's a lot of beautiful work out there in places where you wouldn't normally think to find it, like Iceland ..

.1985476707_DSCN1996(2).thumb.JPG.6f0f30d66813d7825c29b77353e67e61.JPG1810952877_DSCN3292smaller.thumb.jpg.e9273b50e9c2303c2740ad4995da6a34.jpgt

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.