Today I learned ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There is a recognized order in which you should use multiple adjectives!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/about-adjectives-and-adverbs/adjectives-order

Go ahead...string several adjectives together and see how things fall apart if you get them out of order!

My male grey larger older husky..

3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Wherever your from does not count. :P

(I mostly reference official publishing style guides, but it was more joke than anything else. The grey bit, wherever you're from still doesn't count, no matter wot, acuz I say so!!!)

*you’re

*what

*because

Disclaimer:  I admit “gray” vs. “grey” is cultural, and I forget sometimes which is “right” for my culture. But you started it!!

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

*you’re

*what

*because

Disclaimer:  I admit “gray” vs. “grey” is cultural, and I forget sometimes which is “right” for my culture. But you started it!!

Well, we must admit there is World (Queen's) English and there is bastardized-American English, so that may be a thing, too.

I gave up a long time ago trying to decide whether we or our linguistic cousins on the other side of the pond hold the high ground in matters like this. As long as we more or less understand each other, we can get on to more important issues.  

Edited by Rolig Loon

Actually in most cases, US English is more traditional than British English. If you took someone from 16th century England and dropped him in the middle of West Virginia he'd understand the locals there better than he would if you dropped him in modern England. US English has evolved less than it has in the UK, especially in rural areas..

A classic example is "I'll learn ya" to mean "I'll teach you". "Learn" used to mean both learn and teach, but the "teach" meaning has fallen out of favour in modern times. But that redneck is right.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Thanks 1

Remember, this English we're talking about...

• big fat, yet skinny little
  • pretty ugly, but never ugly pretty
  • pretty terrible vs. terribly pretty
  • blue-green, but not green-blue

I wonder if Lindal's guidelines reflect how we actually think about stringing adjectives, whether colloquialisms and idioms affect our thinking, or if, at least in this case, they're unrelated. I'm curious whether the Royal Order of Adjectives is the same in other languages.

I'm always looking for a reason to run to Google's Ngram viewer, which reveals these...

1713718477_BigFatSkinnyLittleNgram.thumb.png.c851af287dba8cdd4dd44ab24985f52a.png693338345_PrettyterribleprettyuglyNgram.thumb.png.e181cc672e673ffeac36d1cf90eb2a49.png883229317_RedGreenGreenRedNgram.thumb.png.addaac4d9d3186a3949f8bb847061d00.png

I thought the rise in "big fat" might have followed from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", but it predates the movie by years, so it's more likely the reverse.

I'm not sure what to make of pretty terrible and pretty ugly.

I'll credit the Canadian comedy series "Red Green" with lofting that phrase starting in the mid eighties. Who's gonna disagree?

• Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 9:56 AM, Grumpity Linden said:

Oz Linden often says that not a week goes by when he doesn't learn something new about Second Life.  I first heard him say this ...certainly more than 5 years ago... and it's true for me to this day.  Courtesy of Patch Linden, this week's TIL: 

Stipends are paid out on Tuesday because ....

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Wellington_Wimpy

And there you have it.

I'm feeling much better now that I know that! What about the chickens?

Edited by Alexandra Divisadero
spelling

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What chickens?

yeah, thats the question I ask when I want to confuse everyone. . .It still seems to be working. I was just being stream of consciousness. We're not sure that Wimpy was stream of consciousness dude, because he was so focused on the burger. It's late, I was having fun with you. gnite.

5 minutes ago, Alexandra Divisadero said:

yeah, thats the question I ask when I want to confuse everyone. . .It still seems to be working. I was just being stream of consciousness. We're not sure that Wimpy was stream of consciousness dude, because he was so focused on the burger. It's late, I was having fun with you. gnite.

There’s an old thing where someone answers, “there’s nobody here but us chickens”. It can be applied in most situations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.