Oz Linden often says that not a week goes by when he doesn't learn something new about Second Life.  I first heard him say this ...certainly more than 5 years ago... and it's true for me to this day.  Courtesy of Patch Linden, this week's TIL: 

Stipends are paid out on Tuesday because ....

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Wellington_Wimpy

And there you have it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 13

I think that Grumpity's post is a nice way of LL intoducing the next "exciting" perk for Premium members - that we will soon be able to pay our Premium fees in hamburgers.

When is it due to start, Grumpity?

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

36 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I think that Grumpity's post is a nice way of LL intoducing the next "exciting" perk for Premium members - that we will soon be able to pay our Premium fees in hamburgers.

When is it due to start, Grumpity?

You figured us out, Phil! Release scheduled for 4/1/18.  Watch this space... 

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Today I learned the importance of kerning.

massage-therapy-sign.jpg

4/1/18 ... There is something familiar about that date.  Hmmm

Oh yes.  It's Easter!

also that hand logo... oddly evocative... 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Easter

So, there’s going to be an “Easter Egg” in SL regarding TIL, Wimpy, hamburgers, Tuesday payments..

Christ on a cross!

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Christ on a cross!

Isn't that like in 40 days or something?

Minus 3

Oh jeez. Now I'm fretting about whether it's 40 days from Easter or 40 days from Good Friday

8 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Isn't that like in 40 days or something?

Minus 3

Oh jeez. Now I'm fretting about whether it's 40 days from Easter or 40 days from Good Friday

From Wikipedia: “One calculation has been that the season of Lent lasts from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday. This calculation makes Lent last 46 days, if the 6 Sundays are included, but only 40, if they are excluded, because there is no obligation to fast on the six Sundays in Lent.”

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, there’s going to be an “Easter Egg” in SL regarding TIL, Wimpy, hamburgers, Tuesday payments..

Christ on a cross!

<evil>Muahahahahahahahahaha!</evil>

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The Lent article had a link to this. I’m simply mortified.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortification_of_the_flesh

TIL..the link above included a link about “sackcloth”..according to Wikipedia, originally “sackcloth” referred to a type of loincloth. Makes sense, because a loincloth covers your..s*ck.

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

TIL..the link above included a link about “sackcloth”..according to Wikipedia, originally “sackcloth” referred to a type of loincloth. Makes sense, because a loincloth covers your..s*ck.

TIL... That people don't ACTUALLY read the wikipedia pages they refer to, for example claiming 'sackcloth' was originally a loincloth, when that's mentioned as the OPINION of ONE 19th century german academic, based on the use of the word 'gird'.

Ohf course since most middle eastern clothing of the period, tunics etc., would have been 'girded' with a belt or sash or a piece of rope, this doesn't actually mean very much, but that's 19th C. academics for you... 

However... Medieval clothing features a 'cod piece' because 'cod' was a medieval term for your 'bag' or 'sack'...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

TIL... That people don't ACTUALLY read the wikipedia pages they refer to, for example claiming 'sackcloth' was originally a loincloth, when that's mentioned as the OPINION of ONE 19th century german academic, based on the use of the word 'gird'.

Ohf course since most middle eastern clothing of the period, tunics etc., would have been 'girded' with a belt or sash or a piece of rope, this doesn't actually mean very much, but that's 19th C. academics for you... 

However... Medieval clothing features a 'cod piece' because 'cod' was a medieval term for your 'bag' or 'sack'...

You implied only one scholar stated what I said. On the contrary, the theory of one scholar was quoted for almost 2 full paragraphs. Did you really read it?

“..Friedrich Schwally (in Stade's "Zeitschrift", xi. 174) concludes that it originally was simply the loin-cloth, which is an entirely different conception from that of Kamphausen or of Grüneisen. Schwally bases his opinion on the fact that the word "ḥagar" חָגַר (to gird)[6] is used in describing the mode of putting on the garment (see Joshua 1:8; Isaiah 3:24, 15:8, 22:12; Jeremiah 6:26, 49:3). One fastens the sacḳ around the hips ("sim be-motnayim", Genesis 37:34; "he'elah 'al motnayim", Amos 8:10), while, in describing the doffing of the sacḳ, the words "pitteaḥ me-'al motnayim" are used (Isaiah 20:2). According to 1 Kings 21:37 and 2 Kings 6:30, it was worn next the skin.

Schwally assumes that in prehistoric times the loin-cloth was the usual and sole garment worn by the Israelites. In historic times it came to be worn for religious purposes only, on extraordinary occasions, or at mourning ceremonies. It is natural that, under certain circumstances, the prophets also should have worn the sacḳ, as in the case of Isaiah, who wore nothing else, and was commanded by God to don it (Isaiah 20:2). The Jewish Encyclopedia suggests that "old traditions about to die out easily assume a holy character".[7] Thus Schwally points to the circumstance that the Moslem pilgrim, as soon as he puts his foot on Ḥaram, the holy soil, takes off all the clothes he is wearing, and dons the iḥram.”

*Edit* Full quote was included because she dun read so gud.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

...would have been 'girded' with ...

would have been 'girt' maybe?

Past tense and past participle of gird is girt.

Footnote: Aussies know this, as our national anthem is full of "girt"

Edited by Callum Meriman
edit: poking a latex covered hornet nest here
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grumpity Linden said:

that escalated quickly... 

Always, always, always, have puppy (or kitty or other adorable critter) eye bleach available.  

puppy eye bleach.gif

• Like 3

One year LL actually did give us a present about this time of year. I can't recall if it was a Premium Gift or for everyone but it was definitely an LL deal. We got...an Easter Egg! A well formed moddable egg-shaped prim. Code monkeys having fun. :-)

I got one, sized it the way I wanted, and set it to wear on head. I then spent a goodly time one night making colored eggs with Paintshop. I even wrote friend's names on a bunch with that horrible invisible wax pencil, just like RL. Next night there was a get-together and I gave out the eggs. I only have one picture left (chunks of my Photostream went south a couple of years ago) but my friend Quinn Morani who in addition to being an absolute sweetheart always took a zillion pictures, has several. Here's one. Someone else brought the wearable cows.

eggheads.PNG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Forgot the pic I still have. I'd made an egg for Torley; he never claimed it, but I did get a bear!

ETA: this was supposed to be an edit but I biffed it.  Oh well.

egghead torley.PNG

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1