Today I learned ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...

TIL there is a Bacon God! Take that FSM, rather than worshipping your noodly appendages we can worship crisp baconny goodness.

http://bm-dijon.fr/documents/ANNALES BOURGOGNE/1941/1941-013-02-027-030-1398844.pdf

Well, maybe not. I guess the author of that paper more likely had the munchies after a particulary heavy night of drinking.

I did find out that St Anthony the Hermit was quite into sanglier though.

image017.jpg.4ea28a6b1e444aa222cfcb9b35ecee75.jpgimage016.jpg.155ef7132cb0f0fa141f37ce827cfb77.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I find this to be astonishing after over 11 years in SL.

TIL (by accident) that when holding the left mouse button down on my avatar, moving the mouse moves the view left, right, up, and down, and turns my avatar to face the new view.

Over 11 years non-stop in SL and I never discovered that before? :S  Has it always been like that?

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I find this to be astonishing after over 11 years in SL.

TIL (by accident) that when holding the left mouse button down on my avatar, moving the mouse moves the view left, right, up, and down, and turns my avatar to face the new view.

Over 11 years non-stop in SL and I never discovered that before? :S  Has it always been like that?

It's one of the few gaming standards that LL got right, yes.

Including some form of mouse steering, that is. Most games use right click for it.

Edited by Gadget Portal
  • Thanks 1

The silly thing, from my point of view, is that I often have a use for it, but I've been using the keyboard every time. I only discovered it today when I was about the 'grab' the top edge of the communications box to pull its size down. I missed the edge of the box and got my avatar instead, which I pulled down before I realised.

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

The silly thing, from my point of view, is that I often have a use for it, but I've been using the keyboard every time. I only discovered it today when I was about the 'grab' the top edge of the communications box to pull its size down. I missed the edge of the box and got my avatar instead, which I pulled down before I realised.

As someone that's done it for years, I could never go back to steering my avatar with the keyboard. It's so much more precise, fluid, and responsive. 

Not to mention the highly sought after skill of running away and jump-spinning to shoot a gun at the person chasing you, only to land in a run again so you don't lose your forward momentum. An MMO classic.

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

If you use Firestorm, while holding left click on your avatar, you can also walk by holding down the right mouse button.

Left click your mouse button on your avatar or name tag. Keep the left mouse button pressed down, and then also click the right mouse button. Your avatar will start walking forward. Move your mouse to “pilot” your avatar.
Releasing either mouse button will stop walking.
This method also works while flying.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Thank you, but I use the LL viewer, Whirly.

22 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

Not to mention the highly sought after skill of running away and jump-spinning to shoot a gun at the person chasing you, only to land in a run again so you don't lose your forward momentum. An MMO classic.

I'll leave that to the experts :)

28 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Thank you, but I use the LL viewer, Whirly.

So does prok!

46 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

If you use Firestorm, while holding left click on your avatar, you can also walk by holding down the right mouse button.

Yep, this is the way I normally move. In MMOs too.  The only hard thing is when there is a lot of alpha trees/plants/sunbeams you can't reclick your name tag to move again. But that's rare really.

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Left click your mouse button on your avatar or name tag. Keep the left mouse button pressed down, and then also click the right mouse button. Your avatar will start walking forward. Move your mouse to “pilot” your avatar.

Wish I had known that ten years ago! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

3 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

An MMO classic.

Having never really been an MMO person, I never knew this, but do find it very helpful and easy to use.  I did have another Firestorm option checked that I had to untick for this, but I do like this method of movement.

12 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

9 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I hadn't known this either - I will have to try this out when I get inworld. 

I did learn yesterday, at a class I was at, that when you need to sit very quickly and there isn't anything to sit on, you can right click on any attachment you're wearing (like a mesh skirt, or your hair, etc...) and there will be a 'sit down' option of the menu which will cause you avi to sit down (same as pressing the ground sit button in your AO or viewer - but it's nice to have options). 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I did learn yesterday, at a class I was at, that when you need to sit very quickly and there isn't anything to sit on, you can right click on any attachment you're wearing (like a mesh skirt, or your hair, etc...) and there will be a 'sit down' option of the menu which will cause you avi to sit down (same as pressing the ground sit button in your AO or viewer - but it's nice to have options). 

Nope, there isn't for me... what viewer are you using? Or does the attachemnt in question habe to have specific parameters?

Edited by Fionalein

TIL that I can copy actual no-copy objects out of a worn object by dragging the 'Contents' FOLDER from the item, rather than then individual items themselves -- because you cannot drag a single no-copy item out of a worn object.

This solves the issue of unpacking a DEMO that contains no-copy items without having to TP home to do it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.