Ready Player One movie - it's like an ad for Second Life

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just saw the trailer for Ready Player One. It's like an ad for Second Life, or maybe Sansar.

Amazon is funding a series based on Snow Crash. Second Life is basically Snow Crash's "metaverse".

Will Linden Labs use this opportunity to promote their products?

• Haha 1

They'd be foolish not to. Still, making a promotional push isn't going to get around SL's fundamental problems: Poor presentation, poorly designed tools and interface, a severe lack of interactivity features, and unreasonably high system requirements for anything approaching acceptable performance. That last problem being due to years of neglecting to guide users towards better content creation habits.

The good news is that all of these problems can be fixed, Linden Lab just has to want to and hire on some people with the skill sets they're conspicuously lacking.

• Like 3

LL needs to redesign their viewer so that it mimics SL 1.23

That viewer was so easy and intuitive even  I was able to master it.   

I still use the Firestorm Phoenix layout.

I get a head ache trying to figure out the mess of the current SL viewer on those rare occasions I'm forced to use it.

• Like 5

Singularity is V1 viewer, and it gives me headace because it use terrible V1 layout. And is not compatible with all other viewers.

The only big mistake in V3 is the chui interface for chat. I hte is. firestorm is best with options to adjust it to a less space wasting layout.

Better would be if the viewer let you undock windows to other screen.

Never seen ready player one, but i know it's people compare it as example with modern vr platforms. not secondlife as far i know. It seems people that work for oculus rift need to have read the book first.

58 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

LL needs to redesign their viewer so that it mimics SL 1.23

That viewer was so easy and intuitive even  I was able to master it.   

I still use the Firestorm Phoenix layout.

I get a head ache trying to figure out the mess of the current SL viewer on those rare occasions I'm forced to use it.

On the other hand :D  I much prefer the current LL viewer - V3? In fact, I started a thread to praise it when it came out. But it's all just a matter of what you get used to. Anything different to what we're used to does seem like a bit of a pain at first.

Edited by Phil Deakins
typo
  • Like 1

I use Niran's "Black Dragon" viewer. For the most part, I find the menus are laid out much more sensibly (with one notable exception) and the UI itself is far more compact than even the Firestorm UI.

Snapshot_229.thumb.png.ddd9bbfd7dddc5aece52610864f7abfc.png

I think it's important to remember that it is difficult to take an objective view of UI layouts because once a person is used to a UI layout, they will react badly if presented with a UI where things are moved around. It doesn't matter if the new layout is more intuitive, they will swear the UI they are used to is better...until they acclimate to the new layout by using it extensively for a reasonable period of time. Those who have stuck with V1 style interfaces all these years never adapted to the newer layout so they're still going to find those layouts frustrating.

Even so, I don't think any of the SL viewers present a radically different UI. It's all just moving things around and changing the graphical elements for them. The basic experience is the same for all viewers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

Singularity is V1 viewer, and it gives me headace because it use terrible V1 layout. And is not compatible with all other viewers.

Yes but it has been changed a lot over the years. Is it anything like the original anymore?

3 hours ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

The only big mistake in V3 is the chui interface for chat. I hte is. firestorm is best with options to adjust it to a less space wasting layout.

I have to disagree with you there. I have tried so many viewers I've lost count and not a single of them has anything that even remotely resembles a well designed UI. UKanDo tried but they never got very far before they gave up. An experienced user may be used to all the quirks of their favorite viewer of course but for somebody who isn't, it's all complete and utter rubbish.

Edited by ChinRey

• 3 months later...

I am also looking forward to the movie and will be there opening day with popcorn in hand. I am especially interested in how Speilberg and his army of lawyers have resolved the copyright infringement potential of showing active scenes from the multitude of arcade games mentioned in the book? Most of which kicked my ass and swallowed my quarters growing up.

I read the book...absolutely HATED IT!! Part of the reason might have been it was kind of close to SL, but more likely it was just really badly written, with totally unlikable characters and a very predictable plot. 

Needless to say, I'm not going to see the movie. Sorry, Mr. Spielberg 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 12:00 AM, animats said:

Just saw the trailer for Ready Player One. It's like an ad for Second Life, or maybe Sansar.

Amazon is funding a series based on Snow Crash. Second Life is basically Snow Crash's "metaverse".

I approve this message :)

On 11/25/2017 at 1:00 AM, animats said:

If it doesn't have lines like, "Can you see my head? *sigh* Let me re-log," it won't be an accurate ad for Second Life at all.

• Haha 5

I don't think licensing would be much of a problem. It's Warner Bros and Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment so any properties owned by them can be used like the Iron Giant. They can easily license whole groups of properties from the other film studios and make deals with game companies that own multiple game properties. I think they have Microsoft, Gearbox and Blizzard from the game characters I've seen.

I liked the book. Thought it was a little too 80s nostalgia focused but the film seems to have expanded beyond that. I think Spielberg is a very good director too so the film is something I want to see. And the trailers look good too.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2017 at 12:00 AM, animats said:

Yes, they are. They have Aech's Garage from the movie as an experience you can visit in Sansar. I understand that it took Intel, HTC Vive, Warner Brothers, and Sansar Studios of Linden Lab six weeks of work to pull all this together, and that work shows. 

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/01/08/exclusive-first-pictures-from-the-ready-player-one-experience-in-sansar/

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

Yes, they are. They have Aech's Garage from the movie as an experience you can visit in Sansar. I understand that it took Intel, HTC Vive, Warner Brothers, and Sansar Studios of Linden Lab six weeks of work to pull all this together, and that work shows. 

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/01/08/exclusive-first-pictures-from-the-ready-player-one-experience-in-sansar/

I know about that. What are they doing for Second Life? Aech's Garage is another prop collection, like the one for Star Wars.

18 minutes ago, animats said:

I know about that. What are they doing for Second Life? Aech's Garage is another prop collection, like the one for Star Wars.

They're keeping their mouths shut so people won't come into Second Life expecting Ready Player One and associate the inevitable disappointment and sense of robbery that experience would inspire with Second Life.

Second Life is what it is. It's not remotely close to what Ready Player One will look like. In fact, many of the experiences a new visitor to Second Life will have are downright bad to the point of being embarassing. What's more, it never will become Ready Player One without losing what makes it Second Life. 

Doesn't mean I don't like Second Life. I like it a lot. But I'm realistic about what it is and can be. 

• Like 2

With a little bit of imagination and VR googles, I found Ready Player One to have quite a bit of similarities with secondlife. My RL SL experience's mirrored so much of the movie's. The 1980's references were a tad overload but overall highly entertaining and everything we want secondlife to be. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.