Why do people hate TMP?

Chaz Longstaff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Chaz Longstaff said:

Why are more and more clothing designers boycotting TMP? There seems to be a hate on for them growing...... 

I have a TMP mesh body -- should I start looking for a new one from someone else; will I be stranded with no choice of clothes?

why hate it? ehm how about totally overpriced body, totally overpriced heads, no development, no support, crap shopping system, still no omega.... need more?

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Oh poor, poor TMP getting their virtual, non-existing feelings hurt by so much hate...

Now, seriously, they failed in pretty much every aspect you can think of. No updates, not Omega compatible, no Bento options in sight, incredibly closed system solely depending on the merchant's own servers. Practially unusable should said severs shut down all of a sudden.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Chaz Longstaff said:

Why are more and more clothing designers boycotting TMP? There seems to be a hate on for them growing...... 

I have a TMP mesh body -- should I start looking for a new one from someone else; will I be stranded with no choice of clothes?

Why do people hate TMP... Hmmm...

1. A store apparently designed deliberately to melt your eyeballs out of your head before you can find the translucent pastel shaded teleporter that takes you from the landing area to the shopping area.

2. To shop there at all you have to obtain and wear a 'shopping hud' apparently designed to annoy you to the point where you give up and leave the store.

3. To shop with the hud, you have to load it with 'store credit' by buying same with money, in increments apparently designed to ensure that you will ALWAYS have to pay more money into the hud than the cost of your purchases, with no possibility of any kind of refund.

4. The products are, when compared to all of their rivals, over priced and under spec, typically expect to pay 90% more for the same features.

5. The 'talent' who made the products are apparently no longer associated with the brand, and the 'finance' who still own the brand have apparently made no attempt to replace them. There is NO SUCH thing as a TMP Update.

6 The products can only be configured via a style hud that links to an external web- database, all 'appliers' you might purchase, and all customisation options are controlled by the hud/database, if the brand ever closes it's doors, everything you ever bought for it basically stops working.

9. Customer support is legendary for it's non availability

10. The brand was so uptight about allowing 3rd party content for its products in the first place that basically it's always been an unsupported lame duck. It's just a case of it getting lamer as more people realise their mistake.

Those the the usual 10 reasons for people 'hating' on TMP.

Me, never used it never will so I really don't care, but hey you asked so...

• Like 23
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Slayora DeSantis said:

Wow..didn't know TMP was that crappy. It sounds as if it's a scam, really. It's a wonder SL hasn't shut them down over the fact that they're swindling people out of their lindens.

No, as far as I can tell it's not a 'scam', there has never been any rule against trying to over charge your customers for bad products, in fact SL is famous for it's "buyer beware" attitude.

It's just a brand that has chosen to adopt poor business practice, and is increasingly obsolete. No 'technical' reason for LL to intervene.

• Like 8

Adding to Klytyna's list one other item:

The Basic female TMP body (cost L$2500) comes with an alpha HUD, but the Basic male TMP body doesn't. The guys have to cough up L$5000 - twice as much as the ladies do - for the Deluxe body just so they can have an alpha HUD.

Couldn't possibly be because when they were released there were already other female mesh bodies (and body parts) on the market but TMP was the only male mesh body... now could it? ¬¬

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chaz Longstaff said:

I recommend that you do, yes. Regardless of whether fewer designers are creating for TMP or not, the fact that the body will most likely be rendered completely useless if (or, rather, when) they switch off their external servers is reason enough to find yourself a current mesh body that's being regularly updated and created-for.

• Like 6

I don't hate it, just put off because of people saying its overly complicated and unsupported.  I wouldn't be surprised if its also just that its not new.  Its like when I see people asking about male bodies in some groups, everyone is falling over themselves to recommend sig gia, it does look nice in every way to me but one... on every guy I've seen wearing it, weird monkey arms/shoulders but its new so it must be better. *shrugs*  Only male body I've seen look "right" so far is slink. 

Then again, I have a thing about body proportions looking "right", not that I don't mind variation, but, you know, within the bounds of some reality. 

Edited by CaraMcLean
  • Like 1

Signature Gianni isn't all that new. It was released in February 2016. If newness is the reasoning behind recommendation then I would expect everyone to be falling over themselves to recommend Belleza's Jake body, since that's the latest one on the market.

Much of this Signature Gianni recommendation that I see in the groups I'm in tends to come from women. I suspect it's more to do with the fact that men are mostly regarded as wanting a quick-n-easy option when it comes to looking good in SL, and Signature does offer that in at least two respects:

1. It's a full body complete with hands and feet; no need to purchase those separately
  2. It's one of the two male bodies that currently have the most body-specific fitted mesh created for it (Slink being the other, although Belleza is catching up) and non-Omega body-specific skin and tattoo appliers (the reasoning here being that Omega relays are just one more thing that the 'average guy' probably doesn't want to fuss around with)

In short: for the "I just want to chuck on a body, add a few clothes, and that's it" crowd of guys, Signature is an obvious recommendation. On the other hand, the guys who tend to recommend Slink are the ones who are willing to spend a bit more time actually dressing their avatar as opposed to putting on jeans and a t-shirt and some footwear (if that makes sense).

Personally, I will always recommend based on the answer to one question: "What kind of build do you want your body to have?" For most guys that's pretty important, moreso than how easy the body is to wear.

If the answer is "I want something as close to TMP as I can get it" I'll recommend Slink, because it's lean but can be given broad shoulders and slim hips. Right now, it's the best option to recreate the TMP build. As a sidenote: I've seen some guys refer to the Slink body as "stick-thin", which is absolute bull. You can add up to 5% body fat to the Slink body and make it look pretty built. Take a gander at Nigel Riel's blog to see how good he and his partner can make that look.

As to other answers:

• Soft and slim ("metrosexual") = Adam
  • Lean and slender with optional muscle ("swimmer's torso") = Slink
  • A little more muscle than Slink = Belleza Jake
  • Middling-muscular build ("young prizefighter") = Signature Gianni
  • Very built ("Muscle Beach") = Niramyth Aesthetic
Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

When I first got my TMP,it was one of my favorite bodies as far as how I felt it looked..It came with some really nice stock skins..Everything else was just a pain after that..

It was like a second job to find anything on the market for it..

The store was just confusing  at first and really expensive..I hated that whole credit system they had  and always having money left over..

I still have it though and It's a nice body,but just didn't like how  it was so much work to try to find something I liked to wear with it..

It's a shame,I really liked that body..was my favorite..

I have the Belleza and Maitreya as well..I'm pretty much just in my Maitreya full time now..Just have zero problems finding what I want in mesh..

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I hated that whole credit system they had  and always having money left over..

This is one of the many reasons why I refuse to recommend TMP. You don't actually have money left over. You have credits left over. The actual leftover money is sitting in the pockets of the TMP people, and you can't get it back.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

This is one of the many reasons why I refuse to recommend TMP. You don't actually have money left over. You have credits left over. The actual leftover money is sitting in the pockets of the TMP people, and you can't get it back.

Yea,It's been awhile since I've been there..I probably have a good amount of those sitting on my hud that are useless to me..

I just hated having to add more and things never equaling out..

Live and learn I guess..

I was really new to the mesh bodies when I got that one..

Anymore kinds of crazy systems like that  on anything and I'm passing them by..

4 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Why do people hate TMP... Hmmm...

Everything u say is 100% true, but, I bought the free edition when i was considering going mesh, just to try out a mesh body. 

There was no appliers, and no body alphas, but its great if you are nude.  I wore it off and on for a couple of weeks, decided  i loved the look, and went out and bought a Maitreya Lara.

:)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

but its great if you are nude

Only if you plan to spend the rest of your SLife naked in ankle-boots and a slave collar to hide the bloody awful micro-feet and the neck seam where your skin doesnt quite match any of the 'free ' skins in the style hud, on a Nude Tap-Dancing BDSM beach sim with a cardboard sign that reads "Will nadu for Slink feet".

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Only if you plan to spend the rest of your SLife naked in ankle-boots and a slave collar to hide the bloody awful micro-feet and the neck seam where your skin doesnt quite match any of the 'free ' skins in the style hud, on a Nude Tap-Dancing BDSM beach sim with a cardboard sign that reads "Will nadu for Slink feet".

The micro feet can be fixed by moving the foot slider to 100 . The point is, the free version isn't a demo, its a usable body you can add/remove when you are nude/clothed.

And, doesn't everyone in SL wear a slave collar?

24 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The micro feet can be fixed by moving the foot slider to 100 . The point is, the free version isn't a demo, its a usable body you can add/remove when you are nude/clothed.

And, doesn't everyone in SL wear a slave collar?

Hmmm foot size 100 under mesh with an alpha while wearing a collar...

Add the ubiquitous Knuckle-dragging Master-wannabe clicking the 'strip all' button and...

"Aiiii don't look, cover your eyes! Bigfoot is HERE!"

Locking ankle boots are a better option, seriously.

11 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

TMP is a nice body.  I'm waiting for the new omega compatible version with bento hands to be released and then I'll probably buy it if I can were slink or maitreya feet with it.

I think that sums it up. No matter what people may think of TMP, fact is, it requries special appliers and it simply isn't big enough a market for it to be worth the bother for clothes creators. It's not about boycotting, it's simply sound business practice not to waste time and effort on marginal markets with little return.

Edited by ChinRey

@Klytyna hit on some really strong points in her posts. Even if you could put aside its many faults, it is essentially a product with a limited lifespan, and that lifespan TBD by TMP. Product support was not very good (at least for women), and I was increasingly getting frustrated by that. The shopping experience was overly complex, as was their customize HUD.

At one point TMP was very popular, both the heads and the body—but the brand itself has always been controversial, garnering a lot of opinions on their business model and practices. To their credit, I did like the look of the body itself, and the clothing they had made in-house was also well done.for the most part.

3 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

TMP is a nice body.  I'm waiting for the new omega compatible version with bento hands to be released and then I'll probably buy it if I can wear slink or maitreya feet with it.

From what I gather, that could sure be a long wait.  B|

5 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Hmmm foot size 100 under mesh with an alpha while wearing a collar...

Add the ubiquitous Knuckle-dragging Master-wannabe clicking the 'strip all' button and...

"Aiiii don't look, cover your eyes! Bigfoot is HERE!"

Locking ankle boots are a better option, seriously.

When your foot size slider is at 50, the TMP foot looks tiny. When you move the slider to 100, your foot looks normal sized, how hard is that to understand Klytyna?

Wait, never mind, your purpose here isn't to understand.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling correction
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

When your foot size slider is at 50, the TMP foot looks tiny. When you move the slider to 100, your foot looks normal sized, how hard is that to understand Klytyna?

Wait, never mind, your purpose here isn't to understand.

I think Klytyna meant that the default feet would be huge if the mesh body (and feet) were removed in a 'strip all' situation :)  because yes, the TMP feet are teeny and do need the classic avatar feet sized up to make them look right.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

I think Klytyna meant that the default feet would be huge if the mesh body (and feet) were removed in a 'strip all' situation

She did of course but how many collar users even remember the strip function today? It's not very compatible with mesh bodies or body parts.

1 hour ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

the TMP feet are teeny and do need the classic avatar feet sized up to make them look right.

:o

All fitted mesh feet brands I know of have attempted to fix the foot size bug but none of them went far enough. I was beginning to think there were techincal limits to how far they could take it. And now you tell me there was one brand that went too far!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.