What's with Reputation?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Humph, after 10 years in SL, eight years in this forum and roughly three years in the previous forum, I see my Reputation is a miserable 27. Now, I don't mind having a bad reputation ("When I'm good, I'm very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better") and I can't say I've always been kind to LL in my writings, but 27? Anyone else out there feeling a bit miffed at the rating system or is a bad reputation a badge of honor?

• Like 7

I think it is merely a count of the number of likes you have gotten and it might not count those before a certain point in time, So no matter how wonderful you might have been in the past it doesn't show up on your reputation now.

• Like 7

I'm earning reputation points faster here than kudos in the old forum, where I was mainly haunting the Answers area. The only reason I answered questions was to earn kudos, and nobody seemed to notice that my answers were nonsense. Now I have to say nice things about people to score points. I can do it, but it's a painful effort that sends me to bed every night thinking I should switch from root beer to Miller Lite. And I will if I can find the right ice-cream to make a float.

Though I think it's now possible for me (and the rest of you) to catch Lindal, Val and Rolig's numbers, they are the ones who actually earned their reputations over the years. Rolig's so far ahead I can barely hear her teasing me back.

I'll be looking for you under a streetlamp, Del. There are other reputations one can aspire to.

• Like 10

I have to admit that I barely clicked the Kudos button on the old forums. I think I had even hidden my own Kudos points from the profile picture. But I get more Likes now also, but mostly for nonsense posts as well. xD

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 5

I don't think I had any kudos in the old forum..I think you couldn't get them there unless you were in answers section..But I'm not sure really..

Never paid them much mind really..I can't even remember what they were used for..

I can't even tell you what my reputation is until after I post this..

hehehehe

ETA:128

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't think I had any kudos in the old forum..I think you couldn't get them there unless you were in answers section..But I'm not sure really..

You could get kudos in the answers or in the creation sections for sure. The general "chat" areas you didn't get kudos. 

• Like 6

I 'liked' your post, Chic, because it was the only one in this thread that didn't have any, and I thought that was wrong. It was like a poor little orphan post from the Victorian era. So I've relieved you of that stigma, and I've taken it upon my own shoulders. It's what we knights in shining armour do, y'know.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 7

I especially love the "Unlike this" text that appears when you click on the like button. It's a pity Sassy, our DAPE (Diligent Advocate of Proper English), seems to have left. She would have had a field day. ^_^

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Deltango Vale said:

I seeeee. Yes, it's simply a like counter. Whew, and I thought I'd have to wear a shawl and avoid street lamps.

Shawls are not mandatory but if you are the kind of person who don't like broken noses, you do want to avoid street lamps. They are generally harmless when unprovoked but hit back hard if you hit them.

Edited by ChinRey
adding a missing comma
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

You could get kudos in the answers or in the creation sections for sure. The general "chat" areas you didn't get kudos. 

Nor in Merchants, where I hung out the first few years (after LL closed the Xstreet forum). Kudos were never on my radar.

I like the Like button as a way to show appreciation when someone says something clever, funny, wise, interesting, or quirky. Or Artons swingers.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I think it might both likes you give and get, because I have noticed some newer people have a considerably higher rep count than post count. Just a guess.

Not sure how that would work. I checked mine to see. Hit 54 likes given on page 3, out of 9 pages in total.

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The creation sections had them, which was really nice to be able to do when someone had gone out of his or her way to help others figure out problems and learn. I liked to give them when I had found an answer through the search too, just to say that their work was still helping people two or three years on.

I wish that we could still give kudos for those kind of answers, as a way of recognising them and the help they give.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yea,I was always in General or Your Avatar..I was always used to people coming in there with their questions or off the wall things..

Although ,there was the  RA section in the old old forums..That place was a lot of fun and still my favorite forums of them all..Even though It's possible i'm bitten by nostalgia with them,But i'm not sure..

hehehehe

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Deltango Vale said:

Humph, after 10 years in SL, eight years in this forum and roughly three years in the previous forum, I see my Reputation is a miserable 27. Now, I don't mind having a bad reputation ("When I'm good, I'm very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better") and I can't say I've always been kind to LL in my writings, but 27? Anyone else out there feeling a bit miffed at the rating system or is a bad reputation a badge of honor?

I just ignore it, its so first grade, should have been gold with a star. I would like to be able to turn it off.

• Like 2

Hmmm,I think there is something strange going on and got  bad reputation..

Because I kinda noticed,I've been living in the past when  it's a new generation.

I realize that a girl can do what she wants to do and that's what I'm gonna do ..

Ahh never mind..

I don't give a damn ' bout my bad reputation

:D

• Like 5

I'm sure you're mistaken, Claireschen. I am certain it's only likes that you have given, plus kudos carried over from the previous forum incarnation. But I'm going to test it right now. As I'm writing this, I have a rep of 243. After I post this, I'll like your post, and I expect to still have 243. I'll edit this post to confirm it.

ETA: And there it is. It's still 243 after liking your post and refreshing the page to make sure. So the likes you've given don't come into it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.