language trouble !

Urzul

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok ,i am making this post only to make some english people understand,

i want to ask every one reading this post to say how many language they know :

Start by me,

French is my natal language,

i can almost talk english freely,but if you not happy whit my english,

Bien,ta juste à apprendre le francais.

i consider Spanish my first language, since i grew in Mexico mostly, English as my second language, altought i learned it since i was a child.

i grew up with people that speak both languages, i think Spanish was the first language i heard.

i admire multilingual people, if a person can speak more than one language, they have in their minds a vast variety of words they can use to express themselves.

Only one=English

and like Canoro, I admire people who can understand and use other languages. I have a girlfriend who speaks 7.

I sometimes say I will learn French or maybe German (that one seems a bit easier) but I wonder if I ever will get the time!

I speak four languages, but two of them are dead, and one of them is good English, which is continually being murdered here by those for whom it is their mother tongue even more than ESLers.

If you used the forum's built-in spell-checker then, even if it's the wrong word, at least it's spelled correctly.

If you are serious about wanting to be considered courteous rather than ignorant, then you should consider using After The Deadline, which offers intelligent grammar and style checking as well.

Urzul wrote:

English is my native language and what I am most comfortable speaking. Je comprends un peu le francais, Je peux me faire comprendre, je espere.

I am also learning Japanese, but it's slow progress.

One of the best things about SL is how it brings us all together. Aussie, Dutch, German, French, Japanese - all in the one place and trying to be friendly and understand as much as we can.

(( Some people are hostile to non-English language though. This forum software returns the error: "The message body contains [[ c cedilla ]], which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post." When I try to write the French Language name francais properly - I can hear the cries of a small subset of racists screaming "Speak English you fool" ))

Urzul wrote:

Ok ,i am making this post only to make some english people understand,

Start by me,

French is my natal language,

i can almost talk english freely,but if you not happy whit my english,

Bien,ta juste à apprendre le francais.

My first language is Dutch.

I consider English second. Number three and four I don't use that often, so both my French and German are a bit rusty.

So, Urzul, what  does this help ' some english people'  understand?

Or yourself for that matter?

CheriColette wrote:

Only one=English

and like Canoro, I admire people who can understand and use other languages. I have a girlfriend who speaks 7.

I sometimes say I will learn French or maybe German (that one seems a bit easier) but I wonder if I ever will get the time!

The structure of German sentences is pretty complicated to learn, if you are not totally familiar with basic grammar in your own language. I find French much more simple in this way, but on the other hand, the pronuncition of the French words can be rather difficult though.

I hope you will find the time to learn...It is interesting to learn foreign languages :matte-motes-smile:

wondering what i got in mind,after reading those post ,

people can see not every one may speak english perfecly,trying meen learning.

but we still understand each other,from a world wide community.

little story,i am french talking in english to a spanish girl ,learning english,wonder if someone was reading what we say to each other,that most look like a terrible english.

Sean Heying wrote:

(( Some people are hostile to non-English language though. This forum software returns the error: "
The message body contains [[ c cedilla ]], which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post." When I try to write the French Language name
francais
properly - I can hear the cries of a small subset of racists screaming "Speak English you fool" ))

Using German in the forums is nearly impossible for a native speaker...at least if you don't want to re-read everything you wrote twice. A good chunk of letters that are essential for my language are banned and it slows you don't replacing them with ae ue and such.

English, Spanish and ASL are my go to languages, despite the fact that many people do not consider ASL an actual language(those people, are ignorant fools).

I can read and write in multiple languages, but the spoken word is rather rusty. Those languages, aside from my three primary languages, include Italian, German, Dutch, Portuguese and French. I can also read Braille.

To my shame, after at least 7 years learning french at school my ability with it is less than rudimentary. I spent two years studying Latin and feel more comfortable with that, although I have no idea how to actually speak it.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Sean Heying wrote:

(( Some people are hostile to non-English language though. This forum software returns the error: "
The message body contains [[ c cedilla ]], which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post." When I try to write the French Language name
francais
properly - I can hear the cries of a small subset of racists screaming "Speak English you fool" ))

Using German in the forums is nearly impossible for a native speaker...at least if you don't want to re-read everything you wrote twice. A good chunk of letters that are essential for my language are banned and it slows you don't replacing them with ae ue and such.

That is awful. I can understand words being censored, but there is no reason to ban letters. Are unlauts offensive? cedilla's sedition? 

English is my native language, and I can get along reasonably well in French, Swedish, and German, especially if I have time to think and don't worry too much about whether my grammar is perfect.  I can read well enough in a couple of other languages to pick the meaning out of a message.  Even with the languages I know fairly well, I tend to use Google Translate as a crutch when I respond here in the forums, mostly because it saves me the trouble of typing accents on a non-accented keyboard.  That means I have to go back and correct Google's lousy translation half the time, of course, but it forces me to think more carefully about how I explain things in English.  No matter what language I use, I am a bad typist.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Correct punctuation helps clarify meaning in any language. For example, a period signifies the end of a sentence.

Unfortunately some posters try to do their best in an attemp to imitate a particular ancient Greek manuscript writing style where capital letters, punctuation, paragraphs and even spacing between words were totally unknown things. Everything was just a big wall of letters.

A small sample how it looked:

Ancient Greek style.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.