People Can Cam into my SL rental house?

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maya, you specifically asked us to go and see if we could cam into your house and to post pictures for proof. I think it's a shame to let this discovery spoil your sl. Buy your tub and have a relaxing soak.

Mayalily wrote:

Yes, lol.  I'd like to see the proof, so use my house and let's see.  If you are on viewer 3, then you should be able to cam into my house.  I'm not going to even be rl home until after about 2pm SLT today.

My zoom seems to stop when I'm on my porch, bridge, near the pool, etc, and only zooms my avi, then stops.  When I'm up in the air on my rental sim, I can zoom around way far.  Weird. 

So, we did. And we had a bit of goodnatured fun at your naivete'.

eta. I am sorry that you're this upset about it. I don't think anyone here intended to hurt you, I know I didn't.

Maya, it's really not that big of a deal, well maybe to you it is but it doesn't need to be. I'm not sure whether telling you this is a good idea but it may give you a better perspective on whether or not you're being "spied on".

Try turning on "Show Look at". It will show you who's looking at you.  You can then see if it's really something to be worried about, although it doesn't worry me in the slightest, at least you can see whether or not you're being looked at.  

Well, it won't always show it because those who have a good grasp on how caming works won't necessarily show their crosshairs on you so they will focus on something else and cam around. However other users, that don't have the caming experience, will be shown to be looking at you. If you're not familiar with "Show Look at" try searching for the term in the forum search field and you'll see some theads on it.

You may want to turn it off though when you go to a club or other event with lots of people :smileywink:

Mayalily wrote:

I'm crying my head off here.  Yes, I asked for proof, but that doesn't change how I feel.  I don't want anything to do with this anymore.  That's it, I just don't.  I'm outta here, and not coming back.

QFFT

(Quoted For Flounce Truth)

Maya, your neighborhood was quiet when I had my way with your rocking chair and I bet the only thing you have to worry about are all the horny dudes that stop over at the bar next door.  That should make you feel better.

Noooo Come Back!

As I read this thread I see your point as other systems do not allow this...take as an example Red Light Center...an adult community of adult activities.  However, the questions I have are two fold...if you haven't left already.

1. What is so private and personal that you are concerned about your viewable privacy?

2. Why is it not an option to make a skybox?

The reasons... because I'm sick in real life and I don't have the energy to do it over or move.  I just don't have the energy to do it.

It took a lot out of me just to do that!  I was so exhausted last week from getting my house going towards a theme and all that searching.  I just can't do it again. 

I just don't want this anymore.  It meant a lot to me.  I worked very hard on making that "dream", but it was just a waste of time.

With my health this way, i can't do it again. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

I don't understand. Are you under the impression that moving will solve the problem? Or getting a new house and furniture?

In any case, to move you just select house and furniture, take it into inventory, then plop it down in a new location.

How can my house be moved without having to reposition everything?  That took months to do actually, moving and tweeking and repositioning. 

Chelsea was talking about a skybox, and I said the reasons are because I'm sick and can't do it again -- meaning re-arranging everything again and moving it around to fit and look right, fit this, fit that. 

I just wish to leave.  That's my wishes. 

omg, maya, you can't be serious, if sl made you cry you really need to take a break from it.  you invited people to do exactly what they did, then you freak out when they do it? perhaps next time you will believe what they tell you wihout you demanding proof. even if you were to rent a parcel and limit acess to only those on a list, people will still be able to cam into your home. and no offense intended, there are much more interesting places in sl to cam into than your home.

ibtl

Mayalily, please do stay. Nobody wanted to hurt you in any way. I'm so sorry to hear that our actions hurted you so much.  Anyway, I think that this was the only way to show to you that there is no privacy in Second Life.

Your house is very beautiful, the neighbourghood seems very peaceful. Even without privacy, I'm quite sure that you can be in peace there. People really are not very interested in peeping into other people's houses (except some random peeping Toms perhaps). Enjoy what you have created.

The best privacy in Second Life is:
The only way how we can prevent anybody camming or entering in our properties is to buy full region without any neighbouring regions. One can set the region so that it is not available for public access. Then one can grant access to selected named avatars, or none at all - if none at all then only the owner can enter. Nobody can cam, nobody else but the owner can enter. That's the best privacy what Second Life can offer. Unfortunately it costs a lot.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.