People Can Cam into my SL rental house?

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mayalily wrote:

.... So, I don't think I'm going to get any privacy then. 

Nope! Not on a shared private rental.

I'm like you ... I like my privacy to certain extent. I don't like people 'hearing' my chats nor do I appreciate people getting their jolly camming me whilst me and my man are doing our stuff. I don't , however, care for the least bit when they see me changing my clothes and wigs. In a place where nudity or partial nudity is more common than top to bottom fully covered amish avatars, women anatomical bits aren't sacred, nor yours.

Linden Lab ultimately own your avatar. You paid for the rental and temporary use of a virtual doll you called Mayalily. When you are done with it and you cancelled your subscription with Second Life, you do not get to use it anywhere else unless you created the skin yourself and use the template in another virtual world.

Personally, I do not think you were wrong but I believe this is a lot to do with your level of experience as a virtual world user (aka gamer) in Second Life. Asking LL to remove the camming features is not something stupid... just purely short sightedness on your part. You have not reach beyond the intermediate level... yet (so to speak).

Once you get beyond looking beautiful and dancing your pretty dress away in clubs, you will venture into the art of content creations. You will know then that Camera Control is very important in creating items. You will also look into today and realise that you could have bitten your tongue a little harder.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure that people can spy on you is even true or a rumor?  I just tried to cam into my house and couldn't.  First of all on v3.0, the camera will not cam when on ground level on my step, on my bridge, nor near the pool.  It seems to be disabled on my porches.  Next, I tried camming as much as I could, but couldn't get into my house with a cam view, just lots of surrounding buildings, but not inside.

Does anyone have any photos of how they cam thru walls and can actually see furniture in someone else's house? 

This is the first time I've tried camming, so I don't know exactly how to work it. 

If you can cam into my home, let me know as I'd like to see the photos.  Let's see some proof of this camming into people's houses, so we can know if this is a rumor or not... or if the newer viewers are taking these features out as again when on my step, bridge or even farther out, cam (or zoom) suddenly does not work. 

This discussion came up in one of my groups recently, I'm not sure if it was you, Mayalily, or someone else who brought it up. Like others said, the cam is extremely useful for building, shopping, hunting, etc. Most hunts are designed with the cam feature in mind and store owners hide things behind pictures, in jars, all sorts of nooks and crannies you couldn't possibly get to without your cam.

As far as homes, although I wouldn't cam into someone's home when they're in it (well,not anymore, I admit to having done it as a newb), I often cam into empty homes, especially the other Linden Homes just to see how they decorated. (Most don't have their doors locked, but I don't feel right about walking in.) and sometimes into public buildings to get a feel for clubs, etc before going in.

Just to play devil's advocate for a second, you mentioned that you paid for this service and you want your privacy. The cammer could be thinking that they paid for the service and if there's something to be seen on their monitor, they want to see it. I understand your desire for privacy, but as far as LL needing to make it clearer to others, it honestly never even occurred to me that I'd have privacy in SL.

Regarding how to use the cam, check your camera settings in preferences, there's one to disable camera constraints, which I think affects how far away you can move your camera. Also, if you alt+click on the thing you want a closer look at, it helps zoom the camera in tight on that thing.

It's possible to Cam inside EVERYTHING. It might take some work and rotating the Cam, but with ctrl+alt+Mouse one can get inside every House or structure. It's just a matter of the right focus.

With the new privacy settings i might not be able to see or listen to the Avi's inside though :) 

ETA: Not saying that one should do it, just mentioning that it is technically possible :) 

Hope you get better soon, Ceka.  Let's keep this in mind, but I'm not so convinced yet that this isn't a rumor, as cam (well, I'm going to call it zoom) is disabled on my porch, bridge, near the pool, etc, etc.  I tried flying also, but didn't get inside my home yet.

I'll be back around 2pm SLT. 

Also, the newer viewers may be taking this feature out as the zoom stops at my avatar when I'm on my porch, bridge, etc, and will not go thru walls when my avatar is standing near the house.  I'm not sure what is going on here yet. 

I use Viewer 3 and the newest Firestorm release. Cam works like it always did. Flying? I'm not sure how that would relate to the camera.

I know you just want to know how it works, but I had to giggle that you're incensed about people camming into your house, but you want us to cam in and take photos, then post them here, of other peoples houses in order to dispell the 'rumor'.

I clicked disabled camera constraints and with my avi standing on my porch, bridge, etc, zoom seems to stop on my avi only and won't go thru into the house.  I'm using v3.0 (I believe is the name). 

Well, I thought I'd have privacy.  Why else would they have changing rooms then?  People can cam through changing rooms then, too?

As far as unlocked doors, simply put up decorative wreaths or paintings on your doors and no one can get in, and just teleport in and out.  Tinies could get in with wreaths, but with paintings that cover the whole door, no they couldn't, and there are some vertical paintings, tapestries, etc. 

If someone has not taken the time to look at Torely's basic level videos, I can't have a much sympathy for attempts to blame LL for their lack of knowledge.

Venus Petrov wrote:

A simple search of Torley's videos turned up this.

Mayalily wrote:

I clicked disabled camera constraints and with my avi standing on my porch, bridge, etc, zoom seems to stop on my avi only and won't go thru into the house.  I'm using v3.0 (I believe is the name). 

Well, I thought I'd have privacy.  Why else would they have changing rooms then?  People can cam through changing rooms then, too?

As far as unlocked doors, simply put up decorative wreaths or paintings on your doors and no one can get in, and just teleport in and out.  Tinies could get in with wreaths, but with paintings that cover the whole door, no they couldn't, and there are some vertical paintings, tapestries, etc. 

If you do not have security turned on, anyone can cam in, click on a chair, and be sitting there when you get home.

Yes, lol.  I'd like to see the proof, so use my house and let's see.  If you are on viewer 3, then you should be able to cam into my house.  I'm not going to even be rl home until after about 2pm SLT today.

My zoom seems to stop when I'm on my porch, bridge, near the pool, etc, and only zooms my avi, then stops.  When I'm up in the air on my rental sim, I can zoom around way far.  Weird. 

Yes the rumor is true up to a certain level. Basically if you do not owned the piece of land you are in or use the latest SL viewer, people can and will be able to 'spy' into your home/parcel. They can see anything and everything that are not on transparent setting in there.. including you.

If you disable camera constraint and use the Ctrl + alt + mouse to move around the subject you are pointing at. You will be able to see them. Your View distance also plays an important role. Try this... stand at the edge of your house and try pointing your camera at your nearest neighbour. Use Ctrl+Alt+left click mouse to do this... move your mouse like you are going around the house or an object and you will see that you are looking into your neighbour's house.

I'm not inworld right now, but yeah if you are asking me to 'spy' your house and take some pictures with it I can do that too.

Basically, the only way to be fully private is to own your own land, set it to "invisible mode" and ban everyone else from coming in. Your avatar will be invisible to the prying eyes (they can still see you on radar) but not your furnitures. So put away that naked photos of yours from the wall.

Stella Carver wrote:

Wreath, paintings, etc. only block the view from outside. You can still cam in, just like always. Same with changing rooms.

And like others mentioned, they can't
walk
through a locked or blocked door, but they can still click and sit on a chair inside to get in.

No, no... the wreaths and paintings were about doors not being locked, not camming. 

Yes, Willow.  I'd appreciate it.  I mean I'd like to see whether it's clear or it's somewhat blurry.  I'd like to see, and would appreciate it very much.

Logging off for now.  Thanks, I'd really appreciate it as I'm not even rl home fairly shortly here, but do need to log off and get going rl.  Grab a drink while you are there if you'd like.  Talk to ya later. 

Venus Petrov wrote:

Find 'disable camera constraints' on your viewer and you will be able to see further.

I did and it's checked....?  Wouldn't work on porch, bridge, near pool, etc on V3; zoom stopped on my avi and wouldn't even go to the door....?

Be back later.

Watch the Torley video and check all the settings in your camera/view preferences. This is something the majority of SL has been doing regularly(using the cam I mean, not peeping on you!) and all the new viewers still support the ability. The new privacy settings may help you with it, but it's honestly not a rumor or something we're just saying to freak you out. It's just how the cam works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.