People Can Cam into my SL rental house?

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pamela Galli wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

I don't cam on anybody.  I think it's rude, and I would never do that period, ever, and never ever have!   I have not used the cam feature not even once! 

They need to take this out period!  This is unethical. 

Never used "the cam feature" even once?  I would find that pretty difficult personally.

Why?  What do you need it for? 

the cam feature has many great uses for builders shoppers and anything else in SL savvy people will use a viewer that allows them to hide their cam target pointer so no one knows they are camming. after being in SL 3 and a half years i soon learnt there is no such thing as real privacy just like in RL if someone wants to perv over you while your getting intimate with your partner they will do

Camera controls doesn't say anything about people camming in on you and invading your privacy. 

Onscreen controls

Access onscreen camera controls by clicking the View button on the bottom bar of the Viewer.  For additional information about these controls, click the ? button at the top of the window where they appear.

Mouselook

Mouselook sets the camera to a first-person perspective, allowing you to view the world through your avatar's eyes. You can enter mouselook by pressing the M key or by using your mouse's scroll wheel to zoom all the way in on your avatar.

When in mouselook, your avatar turns to face the direction in which you are looking, which allows you to steer with your mouse while you walk or fly.  Mouselook is also often used in order to aim or activate scripted objects.

You can orbit your view around your avatar by clicking anywhere on your avatar and holding the Left mouse button. As you turn your view left or right, your avatar turns to face the same direction as the camera, allowing you to steer your avatar.

Well, there are two views (no pun intended) going on this thread.  Some say yes it can be done, and some are saying no it can't be done (have privacy).  So, all I want is a straight answer of yes or no of how I can stop this.  I personally think it's insane!  How rude can that be?  It's beyond rude. 

LoveAngeL Lyre wrote:

The article is there about 2 months now.

Yes, I remember when it was announced -- a lot of people were very excited. (Not me because it makes no difference to me.) 

I make it a point to be aware of things in RL and SL that affect or interest me. (That's pretty much the point of having an education -- and education doesn't teach you everything you need to know, but it does teach you how to find out what you need to know.)

Mayalily wrote:

Well, there are two views (no pun intended) going on this thread.  Some say yes it can be done, and some are saying no it can't be done (have privacy).  So, all I want is a straight answer of yes or no of how I can stop this. 
I personally think it's insane!  How rude can that be?  It's beyond rude.

I personally don't think it is rude or insane - I think it is SL.  

Perhaps you should have asked your question in ANSWERS where you would have gotten a "straight" answer.  Why do you ask these questions in an open forum (General Discussion) if you want only a yes or no and a solution?  Is it because you demand to show your ignorance with almost every post you make?

Mayalily wrote:

Well, there are two views (no pun intended) going on this thread.  Some say yes it can be done, and some are saying no it can't be done (have privacy).  So, all I want is a straight answer of yes or no of how I can stop this.  I personally think it's insane!  How rude can that be?  It's beyond rude. 

Did you read the article that you were referred to? It's pretty clear.

I only heard of this about a week ago. 

And, at Pamela.  I've never used cam.  Default view and zoom is adequate for me.  I only zoom to take pictures of myself and that's it. 

Anyhow which is it, yes or no to privacy and freedom from invasion of my privacy....?

Mayalily wrote:

I only heard of this about a week ago. 

And, at Pamela.  I've never used cam.  Default view and zoom is adequate for me.  I only zoom to take pictures of myself and that's it. 

Anyhow which is it, yes or no to privacy and freedom from invasion of my privacy....?

"Zooming" is camming. So I guess you better delete your camera controls.

You have been referred to the relevant Wiki page several times now -- did you want it pasted here?

Freya Mokusei wrote:

"invasion of privacy" is a relative (and hyperbolic) term. That's why people in this thread are using the term, "expectation of privacy". And indeed in this case, your expectation differs from the reality of SL.

To simplify; it's not an
invasion
if the privacy was never there.

Nicely stated, Freya.

read this from the KB..

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Hiding-avatars-and-restricting-avatar-sounds/ta-p/999779

also you don't get privacy land settings for your avatar..you get them from land...

so saying you pay for your avatar and it's a violation of privacy is like saying you wan't a big cam free bubble around you everywhere you go..

it's two different things is alll i am trying to say hehehehe

if you rent then they may have the option for you  or your landlord can maybe turn it on for you..

if you own land then the options will be there..

but avatars themselves don't have cam free areas built onto them..

so if people don't own land and don't use viewer i think 2.8  or later..they won't get them..

Camming has more good uses than the bad..without camming it would be hard to make everything you see in sl..especially the big beautiful builds..

Mayalily wrote:

It doesn't work.  You either have to own your own land, or I have to see if my land lady is willing to set that for me. 

But since so many of you think my avatar in my own home rented belongs to everyone, why would she turn it on for me? 

Maya, you are being deliberately obtuse about this...you asked a question and we all answered with basically the same info.  It's the way SL is.  Those of us here for years have learned to deal with it, you need to do the same or go private island.  Perhaps these types of environments aren't the place for you if you feel so strongly about it :(

Mayalily wrote:

It's a house.  We have some prims set to group.  So, I don't think I'm going to get any privacy then. 

ya it doesn't sound like it if they have everything  on one lot..

how big is your home..there may be openings in the sim where i live or one of the sims around me..

you get owners permissions where i live..and it is really a beautiful community..thye do all the seasons  and  everything  all the land in all the sims have snow on the ground and winter events..

i haven't checked my settings but i will if you  like to see if they work.. i don't think i am on a viewer that uses them..but it's not trouble to get LL's viewer and see ..

i rented a home when i first had gotten in sl and they did the same thing..had everyone watch their own prims and had us on prim counters..

it's so much better with owners permissions on land..

and the lots are not really that bad in price..

just food for thought =)

Mayalily wrote:

Ok.  Thanks Ceka.  Let's keep in touch about price n stuff.

Also, give me some time to go check to see if I can cam into my house and I'll take pics of what I can and cannnot see. 

ok..just IM me in here or in world..i'll be on for  most of the day..i went home sick from work lastnight.. so i'm  not going anywhere today lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.