People Can Cam into my SL rental house?

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgoodness sake!! Don't believe anything Rudolphony said... How many Firestorm users will know that feature if it exist anyway? He's just trying to mess with your head.. and you are just sinking it all in.

Maya, don't bring your past into SL... No one is *violating* you in any sense. Unless your skin was specifically made by/for you there are about 1000 users of Male and Female out there that has worn and seen the naked bits of your type of skin.

You are safe in SL.

If a man or woman avatar started talking 'crazy' to you... Let them get into it and then somewhere along the line, mention to them that you are really a man in RL and would like to take him/her from behind.. that should fixed them right!

It did logically occur to me that what Rudi said might not be true, but then again with a long thread, people don't have time to read the whole thread, so it could have been either not responded to because it's a long thread, or another reason.

Still, if my landlady agrees to do all this privacy stuff, I don't know how to cam and check it out for myself. 

I never needed cam for anything, and still don't see a need for it myself.  I'm not on SL long enough each day to use it.  In the short time I am on SL per day, there are many invites, IM's to answer, and I still haven't finished even a profile picture of my avi because of my shortened SL time inworld.  I put a quick pic in my profile just so I wouldn't have a blank thing showing up in chat, but it's not the picture I wanted in my profile.  

But, in conclusion, I'm not so sure once these privacy settings are turned on, that I would be able to verify that the privacy works because I just don't know how to use the cam thing, and I really don't want too.

Trust is broken here with SL for me.  I'm sitting here wondering what other things I don't know or wasn't told? 

Also, I don't see a need for cam on residential renting land as there are no hunts and there is nothing much to cam to on rental land unless it's for peeping.  I flew around my house with a far distance and not much interesting visual to see, unless for peepers wanting to cam in on there neighbors. 

This is what my cam saw from a far distance, and it ain't much too look at. 

longview1_001 copy.png

Maya, you'll know the privacy setting is in place for your parcel because an icon will appear in the "destination bar" at the top of your screen. Also if you have activated the privavcy setting, from within your parcel you won't be able to see avatars on the surrounding parcels although they will show as green dots on your radar.

Well, my landlady is building a little "community" of sorts here, so I don't see a reason she would turn privacy settings on for me and make avatars invisible.  It sounds counterproductive for her and her "community" sim. 

I can ask.  That's about all I can do, but it's her sim and her rules. 

The privacy settings were introduced to deal with locations like the one you live in. Despite the impression you may have formed, I know that there are lots of people in SL who would rather others didn't see their avatars in a state of undress and the setting were introduced, at least in part, to cater for them. 

Well, I was going to buy a bubble bath.  Maybe I will just have to make that room into something else.

It took me five months to find that bed in my one room!  Five months!  I found another bed I like on Marketplace.  I asked the creator if she could make the drink tea in bed bed for me in my color scheme and she said she doesn't have time for custom work.

I've been looking for antique beds for five months that were right for me.  I found one, finally, after five months of looking.  It really took me that long.  So, an old claw bathtub sounded great to me.  I guess I can get over it (no bathtub, I mean). 

ETA:  Of course I can get over a bathtub compared to the hardships many face in life, including my own hardships.  I'm just very frustrated that I can't have the drink tea in bed I would really love in my colors, so I thought a bathroom with tub for relaxing would be a good alternative.  See, I'm frustrated because my house is 80% done, and I don't know where to go with it now as I feel I keep reaching road blocks to finishing my "fairy" house.  I had plans for the bathtub room that are now gone.  I really wanted to get my house finished, but here it sits again, 80% done.  It's just got me frustrated.  I'll have to focus on something else, and maybe eventually I will think of some way to finish my house.  I was really looking forward to getting the house done though and I thought I was FINALLY THERE, then this info came about.  So scrap the tub, and now I need to think of something else.  What, I dunno. 

Trust is broken here with SL for me.  I'm sitting here wondering what other things I don't know or wasn't told? 

Maya, I'm glad you stayed :-). As for the question above, I've been in SL almost four years and there are endless things I don't know about. I'd venture to guess that even for those who have been here since Beta, there are new surprises occasionally. It's a large and complex platform, no one could possibly tell you everything you want or need to know in six months.

As for your home, I've been in my current one for almost a year and I'm nowhere close to 80% finished. Like with almost everything in either life, it's the getting there that's the fun anyway. You've gotten some sincere and very kind offers of help in this thread. Take them. Then relax and try to enjoy your journey.

Mayalily wrote:

Well, I was going to buy a bubble bath.  Maybe I will just have to make that room into something else.

It took me five months to find that bed in my one room!  Five months!  I found another bed I like on Marketplace.  I asked the creator if she could make the drink tea in bed bed for me in my color scheme and she said she doesn't have time for custom work.

I've been looking for antique beds for five months that were right for me.  I found one, finally, after five months of looking.  It really took me that long.  So, an old claw bathtub sounded great to me.  I guess I can get over it (no bathtub, I mean). 

ETA:  Of course I can get over a bathtub compared to the hardships many face in life, including my own hardships.  I'm just very frustrated that I can't have the drink tea in bed I would really love in my colors, so I thought a bathroom with tub for relaxing would be a good alternative.  See, I'm frustrated because my house is 80% done, and I don't know where to go with it now as I feel I keep reaching road blocks to finishing my "fairy" house.  I had plans for the bathtub room that are now gone.  I really wanted to get my house finished, but here it sits again, 80% done.  It's just got me frustrated.  I'll have to focus on something else, and maybe eventually I will think of some way to finish my house.  I was really looking forward to getting the house done though and I thought I was FINALLY THERE, then this info came about.  So scrap the tub, and now I need to think of something else.  What, I dunno. 

Maya...haven't been to your house to know this, but what color(s) are you looking for?

ETA:  btw, like your new badge :)

Mayalily wrote:

I don't understand all this drama, tbh....if you want the bathtub, there's no reason that you can't have it other than you have decided you don't want it. I agree with Venus that the odds of someone actually 1) looking into your house, 2) while you are there, 3) while you (a cartoon) are naked are slim to none. 

Why not just go with previous suggestions, move the house up to skybox level, then put the tub in??  If this is the biggest upset that you face in SL, you are very lucky. 

" I was really looking forward to getting the house done though and I thought I was FINALLY THERE, then this info came about.  So scrap the tub, and now I need to think of something else.  What, I dunno. "

This would be an excellent time Mayalily, to learn something SL is really great with, creating your own stuff. I highly recommend the classes at Builders Brewery (for example), they are free (tips are accepted) and they are excellent.  When you run into those items you want in your home that  just can't buy, or want furniture or other items that are personal to you, you can MAKE them.  If you've spent 5 months looking for one item, that's 5 months you could use to learn to make it for yourself.  For building and creating is the greatest entertainment I have found in SL and I'm met some of my most delightful friends in the sandbox.

When I had my Linden home I made a decision to only furnish it with things I could make myself.  It was a interesting challenge and lots of fun.  I only wished more people who lived in that "ghost town" camera'd in to see my hard work that I was so proud of.  A few did, commented and voila - more friends.

Stella Carver wrote:

Maya, I'm glad you stayed :-). As for the question above, I've been in SL almost four years and there are endless things I don't know about. I'd venture to guess that even for those who have been here since Beta, there are new surprises occasionally. It's a large and complex platform, no one could possibly tell you everything you want or need to know in six months.

As for your home, I've been in my current one for almost a year and I'm nowhere close to 80% finished. Like with almost everything in either life, it's the getting there that's the fun anyway. You've gotten some sincere and very kind offers of help in this thread. Take them. Then relax and try to enjoy your journey.

Two very good points that I would have made myself, only I was too tired to write all that out last time I was here.

It usually takes me forever to decorate a place when I first move in... not only do I find getting there where the fun is, but once I'm there, I don't know what to do with myself anymore. 

The place I have now, I've decided to change up for every season, hoping that I won't get bored and tear it down to start all over again, which is what I usually do.  Which reminds me, I really need to get cracking on my autumn look... what am I doing here?

...Dres *runs to sign on and go shopping* (...my favorite) yay-smiley.gif

Ian Undercroft wrote:

I'm a little surprised at the number of women posting here and, seemingly, suggesting that they couldn't care whether strangers caught sight of their avatars naked. It's inconsistent with the views of the majority  of women that I've met in SL. 

I think it depends on whether you see your avatar as being essentially "you". I see mine as my pixellated vehicle for getting around in SL. Stella, while she shares most of my opinions and emotions, is much more outgoing than my rl self. I made her, spend ridiculous amounts of time prettying her up and I think she's cute as heck. I like for people to look at her.

But, I know that Maya isn't the only person who feels the way she does, she just expressed in a more adamant way than I've previously heard.

I think if might be helpful for those who do worry about being cammed to turn on the 'show look at' just to see that most people are actually looking at themselves.

Ian Undercroft wrote:

You see, whilst I agree that Maya has perhaps been overly-dramatic, and her innocence has been surprising, I can't help but think that very many women in SL would feel uncomfortable if, when sat in their own bath in their own home, they discovered a stranger's camera focussed in on them.

I agree. I've had people cam on me while I was changing, or walk into my home and I wouldn't say it upset me, but yes, I was annoyed, and I do know that my level of nonchalance about nudity and peeping it is atypical.

I think the main thing is to not let a few cheap thrill seekers spoil your experience. In my opinion, "Ugh, get outta here you creep." is a normal response. "Oh my GAwWWD! My life is ruined! I can never change clothes again!!!", is an overreaction.

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

If I'm camera'd in on you, I'm looking at your shoes.  I can't help myself.  I like nice shoes.

I actually have a line something like that in my profile. If my crosshairs are on you, it's not out of any ill intent.

*eta* It helps to think of SL in terms of what you can do, rather than what others can or might do to you.

Ian Undercroft wrote:

You see, whilst I agree that Maya has perhaps been overly-dramatic, and her innocence has been surprising, I can't help but think that very many women in SL would feel uncomfortable if, when sat in their own bath in their own home, they discovered a stranger's camera focussed in on them.

I'll admit for a split second, when it happens, it's bothersome...but then I snap out of it and realize that it is SL and nothing I can do about it :(  It's not a huge dramatic thing for me. 

When I TP somewhere and don't realize my clothes are missing until someone says something, it's more embarrassing than my being upset, don't want people to think I'm flaunting my stuff.....:matte-motes-silly:  :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.