Mesh is here!!!!

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For me it depends, how mesh will be adapted by the community. I will concentrate on new objects first, when there is a large demand for mesh versions of my sculpts, I will consider.

But in general I hardly make updates. I don't like to return to old projects. So I try to make my creations as good a possible before I release them, so there is no reason for updating them later. 

I don't know if you make avatar components, but what I'm mainly thinking about is clothes and attachments that currentlyhave all those clipping issues and whatnot- things like that.  Also I'm just getting into building and I wonder if perhaps I should ditch the sculpts as well and just learn mesh to begin with.  Currently, my viewer doesn't support mesh- I'm assured the Firestorm team is working on it- but since things are definitely progressing.  

I'm not really looking for answers so much; just thinking "aloud" xD

MESH is too new on the Grid (day old), and 99% of residents do not have the viewer to see them, and none of the REAL initial release bugs have even had a chance to show up yet (ohh and they will), and with the current PE costing rules, most MESH objects are simply not cost justifiable when competing with SCULPTIES.

I would predict that Mesh will not be mainstream popular until Q2 2012.  There will be a few brave and hyper-excited Sculpty makers that will be slamming new mesh models into the grid for the few customers brave enough to risk buying a model that might break as LL potentially makes fixes in the up coming months.  And I applaud these Mesh Merchants for all their time and effort and frustration in finding these bugs for LL.

As a Sculpty Maker of Landscape maps - MESH has ZERO value for me and my customers.  No customer of mine will opt to buy a pretty 500-1000 Prim count Mesh of a hill or mountain when 2 or 3 sculpty maps would be almost as pretty and almost no impact on their Sim Prim count.

So.... its exciting to see the REAL BETA of Mesh hitting the grid but mainstream acceptance of Mesh as a viable selling and using function of SL is 6 months away.

Rowan Villiers wrote:

YAY!

I wonder how many creators are going to offer updates to the mesh versions of their creations, the same way previous updates have been provided.  Just a thought.

I've already started offering some of my newer items in both mesh and sculpty. I also have a couple of sculpty items I'm currently working on that will go out just as sculpty when I finish them. Moving forward I plan to do just mesh and phasing out sculpties from my workflow. But currently I have no plans to revisit old projects. I don't think the majority of shoppers are going to be concerned with what something is made of, as long as it looks nice, is affordable, etc.

following is the actual LL announcement of the release of the grid to get ready for MESH.  Not for mesh itself.  The best news about this main grid prep for the MESH is that we finally all get to see the return of REAL modifiable MegaPrims! 

The new prims will now be 65m per axis scalable.  This was done as a direct required change to deal with Meshes that will eventually someday replace my sculpty versions of landscape items.  You can use a sculpty to make a 50m mountain from my rock sculpty maps - but you cannot do this with Mesh on megaprims.  So they had to address the 10m prim size limit for sculpty makers like me :)  Glad to see that it took Mesh to finally remove a long held stupid limitation of 10m max prims (which most other grid have never had this limit).

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Deploys-for-the-week-of-2011-08-22/m-p/1054099#M1896

Don't much care about mesh, yet, to be honest.Grand that we'll have it(do have it, that is), but, eh, not a big deal to me personally.

It's still way too new and frankly, I prefer sculpties(for now). I'll stick with what I know, as well as what I know the majority of the grid knows, and is comfortable with, as well. Mesh won't be stable for a good long while to come(stable as in widely used and accepted, grid-wide, and on all TPVs-which are used more than LL's own viewers are these days).

I AM happy to see the prim size limit raised though. That one's been a long time coming and makes me quite happy. I was never fond of the limitation to begin with. I think that will have a much larger impact on the grid, and creators, than mesh will(for a while anyway)

That's correct, my SL home is on a Blue Steel region, and it's not mesh enabled yet.  Also, I have asked in the Mesh forum for lindens to report Mesh viewer percentage adoption.  Even though it will be on all the servers by tomorrow, a very low percentage of viewers can see it at the moment.  So builders and content creators need some information on how many people are able to see mesh properly, so we can tell when to start using/selling it for the public.  If you own a private region and only invite your friends over, that's a different matter, you can rebuild right now if you want.  But for most of us, we will want some fairly high percentage of the SL population to be able to see things properly.

Sweet! I am super-stoked its here finally.

That said I still will force myself to wait a little bit more for the dust to settle (for much the same reasons which Toy states).

I don't know how patient I can be to not just rush my stuff off to market (it is almost irresistable, so I might jump the gun! :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:) ....but it seems the responsible thing to do.

I want to do this the smoothest & cause no issues for customers, nor endlessly be repeating to customers "Sorry you can't see this item, I can promise you you did not just buy some broken triangles, please go download the viewer... blah blah blah". To which they may reply "I want my money back cause I love my third-party viewer X, Y, Z or viewer 1.0, etc... and I refuse to switch viewers for your product.". So I will wait just a little bit more.

Wow, a range of reactions. I will post to them, but can't remember the names and don't wish to go back and qoute them all and amke like 10 posts or copy and paste for 10 minutes...I should be away from this forum by now..I came back again...ugh :(

Anyway. Um, mesh being announced does not effect many people, so the dude with the Q2 prediction might be very right. Plus, they was a mention of new things out by 2012 from LL and some of this might drive more users to SL by Q2 of 2012, so the lower polygon and so on might all pay off because one of the main things that was putting people off was performance of GPU's, in fact it was a major issue identified by Brain Balms survey back when the hunt was on to attract corporate big wigs to have behind firewall or even in world usage for meatings, pep rally type of moral building ect.

Also, on vehicles....I am surprised people drive mainland as much as they do. But, crashed cars parked or bouncing with no drivers into a wall over and over have proven me wrong...heck, I see them because I AM on the road driving sometimes!! My excuse is testing for users, but I do drive many times to just see if it works and challange how far I can get!

As far as being excited....heck, if you like to build or model then you are happy to see your creations in world! I think when users check the prim count, look at them (granted they are better) OR recieve a update then figure out what is happening...well, they will more than likely show freinds if it is something neat or enjoy testing it out.

Yes, I intend to work out a updates and send them, hoops and massic testing...physical moving scripted objects + mesh seem to have PE +scritp penalties, the obvious bugs and physical shape issues ect. that might need time. I am slow, they might be half fixed by the time....wait,NO...no they wont. Prim edge bouncing, and the h1 crashes went on and one...recently, still prim edge issues depending on wheel object shape and how odd you want to set physics ot overcome it all. I mean, seriously...wheels are supposed to collide, not hover...collisions streaming at hight rates is GOOD stuff in physics sims!! In SL's Havok they seem to be watered down and bad. :(

Uh. so...work has only begun for me, yeah mesh might not be interesting to oldbies with homes alreay done...but for cars? Uh, I remember how scul[ts took over in a year. But, yeah, the whole market switching will take a while. Besides, people will most likely like some cars anyway and buy them, or the price is right....I am thinking more people will upload cars and use them as statues in the scenes they make...driving will maybe be an afterthought. But, now it si easy to get cars in and tonnes of car models are around!! it is a very favorite thing to model in the world of 3D CG!  Girls and cars....anyone can guess the demographics..guys! BLender guru blog had a survey..yup, mostly guys answered....maybe all the girls are shy or like to pretend they are guys on the net so they can talk cars and such in some odd double life they have? Nah, tonnes of girls, cars, vehicles, military stuff, monsters and game characters and then there is all the archi-vis stuff due to demand from that market. So...uh, yeah....I guess maybe hair brushes and my little ponyeaque toys? hhhm, not sure...

Anyway, back to something more productive...thanks for all the news and updates from anyone who did, plus some opinions and bug info!

LOL at Josh's search

Okay I can't take it any more, I think I waited long enough, I'm at least gonna jump in there with this on main grid now.

No more beta grid residency for me!

If I like what I see, I guess I'll be releasing something soon :smileyvery-happy:

Time to get busy with this as soon as my Viewer 3.0 here finishes downloading!!   ...oh its done yay! byebye guys *runs off to play*

Whoa nice this is freakin awesome

looks like they erased scripts adding to PE too, I got a scripted test object here with 24 frames of animation, only 3 prim!

*Thank you* *Thank you* *Thank you* Lindens

its working perfectly

now to get something real uploaded more than a rainbow jumpy cube :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.