Linden Lab gone dark again ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 63 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

39 minutes ago, animats said:

Technically, it's an impressive achievement cramming a decent SL client into a phone. But SL on the small screen is rather limited.

I don't get the "impressiveness" being that Lumiya was doing this already since 2011 without the developer even having access to the server code. That the Lindens are doing their own in house mobile viewer is great but this reinvention of the wheel that a resident did over a decade ago, doesn't strike me as so great.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To slightly misquote Mark Twain, "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

The fact that Strawberry appeared at the Land UG meeting seems to me to confirm that she's been shuffled rather than let go. I haven't watched the entire thing (because zzzzzzz . . .), but in the first minute or so of Pantera's video of the meeting, someone notices she is there, and she responds with "ssshhhhh . . . trying to be invisible."

Anyway, enough speculation about her. I think we are in agreement that she's very much one of the good ones, and whatever has happened, we all hope for the best for her.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
grammar
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Chalice Piers said:

What I really notice is that the number of people logged into SL has not changed at all for several days. It remains at a static 39,122. That's just too weird. Any ideas what's up with that?

Huh. It is still stuck at 39,122. The viewers get that info from

https://api.secondlife.com/datafeeds/homepage.txt

inworld_updated_slt 2024-07-27 20:00:00
inworld 39122

So that value hasn't updated for four days.

The in-world SL population meters are stuck at 39,112 as well.

Submitted a bug report: https://feedback.secondlife.com/server-bugs/p/in-world-population-stats-havent-updated-for-four-days

Edited by animats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Quistess Alpha said:

My first pessimistic guess would be adding AI into their "concierge support".

Probably that too, but there is one other thing.

All the user-generated content in SL has the potential to be training data for generative AI, specifically neural networks trained to generate 3D models. It wouldn't surprise me if someone out there wants this data, and that LL would be willing to sell it.

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, BriannaLovey said:

I don't know what is happening, but I have a bad feeling about this. I already sold most of my L$, but if I hadn't sold it by now this would have been enough of a reason for me to do so.

You want to start a bank run?
That ended so well in the 1930ties.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think manual generation of realistic 3D models is a short-term practice, but I don't see why that training should overlap with what's otherwise clearly a mobile client development skill set.

For that matter, I doubt existing game models are especially useful for that training (although I can see how somebody sitting on a whole lot of those models might want to think it should be).

Even if game models have value in such training, I don't think there's yet clear case law defining intellectual property of models used in training. That is, if some AI outfit wants to train using a specialized viewer, they may not even need to ask nicely first. Maybe that's what those bots have been doing all along!—but what a dystopian training set they'd acquire from Second Life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

"Meanwhile, the promise of being able to do anything also means that there’s a lack of focus. Sure you can roleplay, game, and do other stuff, but unlike Roblox, there’s no easy way to figure out where to go and what community to jump into without being familiar with how it all works."

Any comparison to Roblox, in my opinion, should include the caveat that Roblox does not make money.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Isn't that an advantage? That way more stays in my pocket.

Someone is paying the bills though (most likely we, but indirectly).

On 7/30/2024 at 11:48 AM, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

Confirmed breaking headline emergency apocalyptic news...

Elon Musk has bought SL, and is renaming it Second X!  LOL

Let's not joke about this.   I had this in a dream two nights in a row a few months back.  I've been accused by my friends of being psychic because I can complete their thoughts before they do.  One of them is worried that those dreams were a premonition.    So, let's not tempt fate.    

Edited by Madi Melodious
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Any comparison to Roblox, in my opinion, should include the caveat that Roblox does not make money.

Is that relevant to the main point the reviewer is making though? Maybe I just didn't read it from the right perspective, I was pretty much just focusing on what he said about SL. Really, I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the money, though certainly at least one person on the Forum has vehemently pointed that out.

I have never played Roblox, and don't even know the difference between that and Minecraft, but whether it makes money or not, Roblox sounds a lot simpler than SL even though it is far larger, and sounds more straightforward to set up and play. That could also be a con, too. It certainly is for me; I have no interest in a game that contains thousands of games (I *never* play video games) or other gamers with whom to social or compete against, but at one time I loved SL due to the opportunities it offered for various activities.

1 hour ago, BriannaLovey said:

Probably that too, but there is one other thing.

All the user-generated content in SL has the potential to be training data for generative AI, specifically neural networks trained to generate 3D models. It wouldn't surprise me if someone out there wants this data, and that LL would be willing to sell it.

Well that’s actually plausible and slightly worrying.

Anyway, if LL’s new SLGPT lets me just do a “Hey Siri, paint my new Isard sailboat all black” in-world, that’d be kinda neat. 

1 hour ago, Saraya Starr said:

image.gif.ac2a3b3ae7a709e4e10031c84c40f0f3.gif

1000000% this whole thread feels like this. ^^^

I want to say it's fine to speculate, but there are quite a lot of diverging topics here and mud-slinging that I just don't want to see. Until there is a definitive word from the Lab, what is speculation going to do for us? 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Streex Foxtrot said:

1000000% this whole thread feels like this. ^^^

I want to say it's fine to speculate, but there are quite a lot of diverging topics here and mud-slinging that I just don't want to see. Until there is a definitive word from the Lab, what is speculation going to do for us? 

There is nothing wrong with preparing (mentally or otherwise) for future problems, even if they may not happen. Because by the time something does happen, it is usually too late to do anything about it. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by BriannaLovey

20 minutes ago, discussionbot said:

Well that’s actually plausible and slightly worrying.

Anyway, if LL’s new SLGPT lets me just do a “Hey Siri, paint my new Isard sailboat all black” in-world, that’d be kinda neat. 

One thing most people don't realize is that such models are extremely expensive to create and host, due to all the computation required. I doubt LL will be making their own model; they already have enough expenses to worry about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Tells us whoever was doing that job before, isn't doing it anymore.

It also could mean that they are still doing that job and decided to bring on some help to assist with other issues.  

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

To slightly misquote Mark Twain, "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

The fact that Strawberry appeared at the Land UG meeting seems to me to confirm that she's been shuffled rather than let go. I haven't watched the entire thing (because zzzzzzz . . .), but in the first minute or so of Pantera's video of the meeting, someone notices she is there, and she responds with "ssshhhhh . . . trying to be invisible."

Anyway, enough speculation about her. I think we are in agreement that she's very much one of the good ones, and whatever has happened, we all hope for the best for her.

From what I can tell by reading all of what's been said so far, she's simply putting her professional life ahead of her social life. And probably doesn't really want people making a big deal about it, because she's better off where she's at and doesn't want anything to crap it up. Being independent and making a name for yourself in a community of people is one thing, being big enough that the company wants you inside of it is another, and any sane person would choose the path of least conflict of interest when choosing between their personal expression and their professional life.

I'm sure it wasn't a flippant decision, and I'm sure it's not some tragedy for her. She's doing what she feels is right in advancing herself, and I can't fault her for it. I would probably do the same thing if I were in the same situation.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, BriannaLovey said:

There is nothing wrong with preparing (mentally or otherwise) for future problems, even if they may not happen. Because by the time something does happen, it is usually too late to do anything about it. Better safe than sorry.

I Did say it was FINE to speculate....

2 hours ago, BriannaLovey said:

2024-07-31_11-45.thumb.png.c7f2f33121e26be59ef4bc36859c34a2.png

I wonder what this will be for?

As per Perplexity

This query refers to two key aspects of AI leadership and implementation in a business context:

1. Strategic AI Direction:
This involves the ability to set the overall vision and goals for how AI will be used within an organization[1][3]. It requires:

- Defining clear objectives for AI initiatives that support the company's broader business strategy and goals[2][4]
- Ensuring AI projects are purposefully aligned with and contribute to core business priorities rather than being implemented in isolation[1][3]
- Creating roadmaps for AI adoption and integration across different business functions[3][5]

2. Innovative AI Implementation:
This refers to a mindset of exploration and experimentation with AI technologies[2][4]. It involves:

- Being open to testing new AI capabilities and applications, even if they are cutting-edge or unproven[2]
- Applying AI creatively to solve complex business challenges in novel ways[4]
- Developing innovative AI-powered products, services, or user experiences[2][4]

Together, these qualities describe a leader who can both strategically direct AI efforts in line with business needs and push boundaries by embracing new AI possibilities. This combination allows for the development of AI initiatives that are both strategically relevant and potentially transformative for the organization[1][2][4].

Citations:
[1] https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ai-strategy-maximising-business-value-through-strategic-planning-hn7re
[2] https://www.rafter.one/aligning-ai-driven-objectives-with-business-goals-a-strategic-approach/
[3] https://www.puttingdatatowork.com/post/how-to-build-an-ai-strategy-part-two-developing-your-strategic-plan
[4] https://www.bdo.com/insights/digital/strategies-for-expanding-ai-initiatives-across-your-organization
[5] https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/aligning-ai-goals-business-objectives-7-step-strategic-approach-4hsnf

The whole world is moving toward using AI, Linden is no different.  There are many areas that AI can be used to assist the workflow, including development.  

Also, yes, Second Life has a lot of data that AI can be trained on, including mesh.  They might be training off of the multitude of assets, but for this position, it would appear more so that it would be used to assist in their development cycle.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 63 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.