Shop and Hop, an all the useless no modify gifts.

over the years i havent said anything, but like , come on, has anyone els noticed how like 90% of the stuff from shop and hop is no modify? most of the time its something thats so huge is makes no sense an would be better smaller but you cant resize it, or like a pair of wings.... sense there no modify they only work on the 1 body the creator was using at the time or maybe none, cause a lot of this stuff is in there own store an when you buy it, it comes modify, but when they give it out its no modify, like... it doesnt make any sense, feels like they do this on purpose, a fake free gift that isnt suppose to actually be useable just to get into the shop and hop, not wanting to give you something you could use. like its free so its ok if you dont want to give a good product away an you want to give one of those lil half done commemorate its like am ug or t-shirt that says SL12B on it or what evers, but when you give out something like the said wings or what ever, an you go out of your way to make it unusable, its really in poor taste. an it really doesnt feel like a mistake sense its 90% of the items at every shop and hop over the years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I got a bag once that I couldn't use, because no mod meant I couldn't rip the scripts out and make it work for my avatar. Wearables are more likely to have issues with this. But keep in mind that rigged items can't be resized even if they're mod. A lot of wings are rigged bento these days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, droidleader said:

over the years i havent said anything, but like , come on, has anyone els noticed how like 90% of the stuff from shop and hop is no modify? most of the time its something thats so huge is makes no sense an would be better smaller but you cant resize it, or like a pair of wings.... sense there no modify they only work on the 1 body the creator was using at the time or maybe none, cause a lot of this stuff is in there own store an when you buy it, it comes modify, but when they give it out its no modify, like... it doesnt make any sense, feels like they do this on purpose, a fake free gift that isnt suppose to actually be useable just to get into the shop and hop, not wanting to give you something you could use. like its free so its ok if you dont want to give a good product away an you want to give one of those lil half done commemorate its like am ug or t-shirt that says SL12B on it or what evers, but when you give out something like the said wings or what ever, an you go out of your way to make it unusable, its really in poor taste. an it really doesnt feel like a mistake sense its 90% of the items at every shop and hop over the years.

I do look a gift horse in the mouth. I sneak a peek into the gift box and see if the thing in there is on mod or not. If it isn't, I don't get it unless I'm really, really wowed by it.

I don't ever, ever get these types of gifts: balloons, nose rings, earrings, t-shirts, anything in a cage, pillows, pots of flowers, signs that say "LIVE LAUGH LOVE" or indeed anything with a word on it, vehicles, makeup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2024 at 3:03 AM, shireena1 said:

The bathroom basin and mirror set i found in the adult section is quite useful, but yes it is no modify lol

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Buttercup/214/103/23

That's weird because I remember thinking it was no-mod when I unboxed it, so I went back to get a new copy and check. Turns out it is—and always was—Modify, but it contains one link that is only 0.01 in its Y dimension, which prevents it from shrinking further without some Build Tool surgery. (I remember this particular case because it's one of very few gifts I bothered to pick up, and mostly because the original FabFree spreadsheet had a different item listed as a gift at this store.)

Ironically, in this particular case being Mod didn't much matter to me because I was only planning to strip out the animations and props for use in better, lower LI sinks. If one liked the look of the sink, it should be possible to shrink the LI by one just by using the standard AVsitter utility "AVpos-shifter" to move all the scripts and animations to any of the other links (preferably the root) and just delete the otherwise useless link where they are now. (Another LI would be reduced by removing the AVsitter adjuster script and a script that interoperates with some male attachments, which may or may not be what you want in your sink.)

There are other minor AVsitter-related packaging permissions errors here, too, but they don't really affect anything, and that's maybe already too much looking a gift horse in the mouth. It has a few nice anims by Abramelin Wolfe that somehow I hadn't collected before, and reasonable copy/trans props, so it's a good gift.

Edited by Qie Niangao
typo: the props are copy/TRANS, not copy/mod as I'd typed from habit
  • Thanks 2

It's so simple. If you don't like the gifts, don't take them and simply only buy what you like and is 100% the way you want it.
And for the rest: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. As simple as that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

It's so simple. If you don't like the gifts, don't take them and simply only buy what you like and is 100% the way you want it.

Exactly.

The gifts are all free and if there is something wrong with one of them, there is no loss at all to the customer. Just delete it from the inventory and call it a day if it's not good enough, or don't take the "bad" gift to begin with. I definitely understand not liking a gift. But to demand that changes be made to something that one didn't even pay for just reeks of entitlement and ingratitude. It's baffling.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 7

Qie Niangao said.. stuff..

/me logs in to check the mirror and basin set. In my inventory, the basin and mirror is no mod. once i rez it inworld it states it is mod, i can resize it and move it around, but i cant seem to do much else. My avatar has stood in front of it for ages admiring itself, and other things i cant mention on this forum lol.  I wouldn't complain about something like that, its great!

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

This is made "so simple" by focusing on the customer's satisfaction with a free gift, rather than the potential damage to the merchant's reputation.

It's not all about the gift, it's about the message the gift sends versus the message it's meant to convey.

The recipient's reaction isn't necessarily even a conscious response; most of branding is subconscious. Give me a gift that I unbox to discover its LoDs collapse in a tangle of triangles,  for example, and that creator's brand is going to register as something to avoid whether I'm aware of it or not. It's not that I'm entitled to a better gift—it's just a freebie, I haven't lost anything—but I may come away with a damaged sense of the gift giver's quality standards.

I think creators might want to weigh whether to participate in events that mandate gifts; there may be a few extra buyers (amongst a swarm of ravenous freebie harvesters), but it's not without risk. There's a downside to giving a gift that's too far from the creator's best work.

• Like 2

I'm really picky, there is a lot I don't like when it comes to gifts.  I only go to the creators that I know and have been buying from for years, even then, I check the contents of the box...I still decline a  lot :P

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

I'm really picky, there is a lot I don't like when it comes to gifts.  I only go to the creators that I know and have been buying from for years, even then, I check the contents of the box...I still decline a  lot :P

Right, it's better to avoid cluttering your inventory with items you don't really want/have a use for. I'm the same way. Thankful for all the free gifts, but I only take the ones I really like. Otherwise I don't bother with it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

So sick of this demanding attitude people have here. Takes all the fun out of it. I'm certainly going to post about it soon, as I just find it strange - and simply don't believe - that people would buy an 'undesirable-looking' item because "I can improve that if it's mod" - and constantly fighting against no-mod items that have the ability to customize anyway, but through an interface/HUD - but they don't like that either. It's all so weird to me. I don't like the hate towards individual creators who do this.. It comes across as entitled - and it doesn't need to happen on a variety of products. If so.. everyone should be looking to LL for a fair solution, instead of passing the hate onto creators about this sort of thing.

10 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's not all about the gift, it's about the message the gift sends versus the message it's meant to convey.

How I respond to the gift is context dependent. There's a popular merchant who provides items for free or very low cost that are high quality. Often I will go buy a couple of full-price items after feeling good about receiving such nice things for free.

However at Shop N Hop I never do this, as usually I don't have an ongoing connection with the merchant and seldom even remember much about the store.  If it was an amazing gift, however, it might encourage me to check out their store if I had time, but most gifts aren't that exceptional.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

A free gift should be the highest quality because it is a reflection on everything else you make. Giving away free stuff also lets people sample what you can do, and they will buy just because that product was awesome. Mod/copy - I don't care, that's their choice. Quality > "Can I change this texture, even though I only grabbed it because I already like the wood finish?"

There was a bit of junk there and outdated stuff. I didnt really like it overall, because it was the typical 'pictures on boxes' type of shopping, except for the extra lag and choking on textures I'll never see usual stuff, so I skedaddled out pretty fast. Pictures on boxes? Nah, rather shop on the MP then

Next event, perhaps LL and the organizers could consider is to get each merchant to showcase 1 item only - full mesh and textures as pictures on boxes mean nothing - noone comes to look at pictures on boxes.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 1