Firestorm PBR Release Is Out

Just pointing something out, before you panic over your temperature, research what your GPU is supposed to run at. My Nvidia GTX 3060TI for example will happily cook the room at 80°C if I don't limit it and only really begin to slow down at 83° after which it will begin to throttle. Thing is, that's expected for that card.

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

its broken, both times i logged in my hard core relay detached because it couldnt find rlv, and my collar gave me the same error message, and yes rlv is enabled, and yes when i go back to the older version rlv is fine.

So short answer the new versioneffed up rlv

That sounds like a timing or race condition on login. I've got things on that check and validate RLV(a) on login that have never shown a problems except very occasionally: If my login in is a bit extra slow, they might complain about RLV not being available, and I have to force a recheck.  but it's a good data point to be sure, and one that can be deliberately tested for. 

• Thanks 1

This might be the end for me. PC still holds up with all the creative work I do, but SL and related viewers are gobbling up all the resources.... just to stand still in a place. This is dire for me, and others indeed.

No problem with PBR and GLTF and all modern things anywhere else! LOL!

Edited by Codex Alpha

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

That's warm, but you might want to enable vsync in the hardware tab under preferences, this will limit fps to your monitor -unless you have a monitor with some crazy refresh rate , generally 60mhz or 75mhz for most standard ones, which is what I run at . It helps with temps.

I've turned OFF v sync and use the Limit FPS slider instead.  I had thought they had said that was suggested instead of v-sync.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Absolutely stable and much much higher framerate.

^^ this

Disclaimer: I am extremely annoyed with LL at the moment and will take a few days to get over it (not PBR related).

As to the PBR release, the higher frame rate is the only thing that is useful to me, otherwise, it is a step backwards, as I have no interest in mirrors or making things more shiny, or completely changing the workflow for texturing objects. The frame rate improvement is a consequence of, after 21 years, turning the viewer into a multi-threaded application (duh).

I also understand that the Firestorm team had this forced on them. It is all LL's doing.

I having been using the PBR Firestorm since SL21B exhibitor building started because at that time, streets were glowing white if you were on a non-PBR viewer. At some point, LL wised up and made the roadway textures backward compatible.

It is mind boggling that LL released this stuff without simultaneously releasing a bunch of new EEPs that look good with PBR. Only a few of the legacy EEPs (in the library) look acceptable to me, for example, Neutral and maybe Default. My prior favorite, CalWL, looks way too bright.

The most annoying issue with the PBR viewers (for me) is the slow rez time and the arbitrary derezzing  of stuff. I can sail and fly just fine, with good frame rates, but my avatar or vehicle just randomly poofs. I can do the zoom in/zoom out thing to maybe restorre things, but then it happens again. Seriously? (I am using max cache size and have been installing new viewers after first uninstalling and clearing caches.)

Same thing with everything else. I look in one direction, look one way, look back and things are missing.

So LL.... give us a pile of good PBR EEPs, rez stuff faster and stop derezzing my stuff.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've turned OFF v sync and use the Limit FPS slider instead.  I had thought they had said that was suggested instead of v-sync.

Definitely if that works best for your gpu. The limiter seems to make my gpu a little choppy but vsync is always smooth.

14 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

So LL.... give us a pile of good PBR EEPs, rez stuff faster and stop derezzing my stuff.

Surprised you're only just noticing things derezzing. That's been a regular thing for some off and on in waves ever since project interesting at least. Varied intensities depending on the build cycle. I'd put that down to a side issue along with camera's being woe crossing parcels and some sims etc.

Edited by NaomiLocket
removed out of place word
  • Like 1

With all the mixed reports in here from "things are sunshine and rainbows" to "well this is f***ed" I'm just going to wait it out a while and pretend the release never happened. PBR hasn't been in SL long enough to justify any release deadline and has nothing to do with SL21B in any real sense for not having been in SL long enough to relate to a birthday. I don't need to gamble extra disruption.

I'd rather listen to Jonathan Blow.

Edited by NaomiLocket

5 hours ago, Raina Anatra said:

I downloaded the new version yesterday, and immediately, I noticed that my computer's fan ran constantly and hard. I've got my fps rate at 30, even tried 15, and it was still racing. I tried downloading the newer SL viewer, and the fan did the same. I also noticed that in firestorm, my usual windlights and environmental settings looked terrible and the overall graphics were not an improvement for me. The fan issue is the big one for me. I have a gaming PC, but I can't risk burning it out. I may have to uninstall the beta and go back to the last version, which worked great for me. 

I have the same feelings - I haven't tried the new Firestorm version yet, but did dl SL today and tried as I was at SL21B and kept seeing signs recommending it to see things properly. I have a newish computer, good specs, but I don't want to run it hot as that does contribute to wear over time. As soon as Iogged in my fans ran hard, my CPU temp going up near to 80% - normally I run 50-65% in Firestorm (I changed some settings in the SL viewer which did help, but kept the CPU at the higher end of 60).

I'm not looking forward to having to switch to the new Firestorm version, based off what others are experiencing.

I've got nothing against PBR per se - I used to create digital PBR textures, and have seen how good PBR can be, and understand why they want to implement it.  But I'm not feeling enthused by the feedback I'm seeing so far on how it's going in SL. If it starts heating up my laptop and I can't maintain the current temps I'm happy with,  well that means I'll limit my time in SL....

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This got posted to reddit

KUyxNEl.png

Awww, I feel for Firestorm support, they're just implementing what they have to, sooner or later. I love Firestorm!!! Without it my SL experience would not be as pleasurable.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Modulated said:

People in FS support are losing their GD minds with the comments...whew boy.

I think its beginning to really emerge how many people are on pbr incapable hardware with this release...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

I think its beginning to really emerge how many people are on pbr incapable hardware with this release...

Well more accurately "PBR on Second Life" incapable hardware

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This got posted to reddit

KUyxNEl.png

We could have, and in fact did, predict exactly this months ago here.

Most residents didn't see this coming, and a great many of them have absolutely no idea what any of it means. To them, SL has just suddenly become slower, darker, and uglier.

A lot of this, again, comes down to LL's inability to get the word out.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Modulated said:

I suspect it's more like ALM incapable hardware...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We could have, and in fact did, predict exactly this months ago here.

Most residents didn't see this coming, and a great many of them have absolutely no idea what any of it means. To them, SL has just suddenly become slower, darker, and uglier.

Isn't it more like the Lab didn't listen to residents saying this wasn't going to turn out well?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Some of "us" - me - on the Forums have been aware of the changes for a long time because 1) the topics have been discussed for a long time, and 2) us/me using the Official viewer, having plenty of time to adjust (including, each Official viewer release informing us of the changes).

Why couldn't Firestorm included lots of "It's coming!" Notifications? Blaming it all on the lab, when Official viewer users like me are already fully adjusted to the changes, seems illogical (possibly it seems like a specious argument to blame the lab if Firestorm users could have been warned).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Isn't it more like the Lab didn't listen to residents saying this wasn't going to turn out well?

LL do hardware surveys and have said that they feel the average user can handle this. We're hearing from the people that are running iGPUs and probably didn't have ALM enabled.

• Like 2