Jump to content

Firestorm PBR Release Is Out


Recommended Posts

Excited to see what the fuss was about I did a new install of the latest firestorm.

I only did a little testing, I went to a couple of PBR shops and yes nice mesh but nothing obviously different, the textures seemed slow to render but that was just that one shop and could be coincidence.

Having skimmed a recent thread here I had hoped everything would be pinker, but I didn't notice that.

I think the PBR change like change to EEP before it is something photographers will be excited about and leave the rest of us wondering what all the fuss was about 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Welcome to the modern times, you all.
:D

 

Not that I think Linden Lab really cares but I have downgraded both my main account and my alt to Basic and I will be not be returning to Second Life. Remember to always carry your towel. So long and thanks for all the fish.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, EdmundPendragon said:

Not that I think Linden Lab really cares but I have downgraded both my main account and my alt to Basic and I will be not be returning to Second Life. Remember to always carry your towel. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Because of PBR?

May I ask why?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I immediately downloaded the new Firestorm update only to find my graphics were downgraded and textures to be very blurry, refreshing the textures will clear them up but that is a hassle.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Sabrina Nebula said:

I tried the Beta and wasn't really a fan. The final release still does not work as good as the LL viewer. As soon as I turn my camera around my screen starts flickering like an old tv 😭

That's disappointing to hear. 

I'd actually consider trying the default viewer again (been years since I used it) but then that would mean no RLV which is vital for my Starries HUD. I'm off work after today's shift for awhile so I'm hoping to try out Firestorm's PBR and also Shop n Hop at SL21B!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Runs WAY better than the official SL viewer. Absolutely stable and much much higher framerate. Great job, FS team! Tbh, Linden Lab had me really worried with the constant crashes and abominal framerates I experienced with their viewer. The new FS viewer gives me much more hope for our PBR future ahead. (I'm on a 7 year-old computer with Interl 7740X, 1080Ti, 16Gb RAM.)

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Welcome to the modern times, you all.

giphy.gif

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to read any comments on the stability / useability of the Firestorm PBR release vs. the Official viewer (since PBR is still "new" in Firestorm).  

Some of the "complaints" so far about the Firestorm PBR release, I don't remember seeing for the Official viewer (but of course, it isn't used as much).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It will be interesting to read any comments on the stability / useability of the Firestorm PBR release vs. the Official viewer (since PBR is still "new" in Firestorm).  

Some of the "complaints" so far about the Firestorm PBR release, I don't remember seeing for the Official viewer (but of course, it isn't used as much).

 

PBR is mostly thrown away development money for a 21+ years old platform IMHO, whether it is on the LL viewer or the overrated TPV.
LL should concentrate more on new functionality features and less on shiny.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

PBR is mostly thrown away development money for a 21+ years old platform IMHO, whether it is on the LL viewer or the overrated TPV.
LL should concentrate more on new functionality features and less on shiny.

I disagree!

Cool! We're having a discussion.

YAY!

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I downloaded the new version yesterday, and immediately, I noticed that my computer's fan ran constantly and hard. I've got my fps rate at 30, even tried 15, and it was still racing. I tried downloading the newer SL viewer, and the fan did the same. I also noticed that in firestorm, my usual windlights and environmental settings looked terrible and the overall graphics were not an improvement for me. The fan issue is the big one for me. I have a gaming PC, but I can't risk burning it out. I may have to uninstall the beta and go back to the last version, which worked great for me. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Runs WAY better than the official SL viewer. Absolutely stable and much much higher framerate.

Not for Mac users. Or at least, not for me (and I'm running on a high-end Mac Mini, m2-pro, acquired a few weeks ago). For the first time in quite a while, the official SL viewer runs better than FS, which is choking on textures for some reason. I've attached some images of what my experience is like now with the FS PBR viewer. With the official viewer the texture loads are much snappier, which is the only time the official viewer has been faster than FS on texture loads on my home Mac in my entire SL lifetime. We won't even talk about what happens if I want to turn on shadows for a nicer snapshot.

I just deleted the new viewer and went back to the previous version. This is not a pleasant state of affairs for a supposedly supported platform. I realize this is much about decisions Apple has made, but it's still quite frustrating. I gather everyone out there with less snappy PCs are in the same boat. I do wonder how far LL thinks people will keep visiting if the tech costs keep mounting.post-PBR_001.thumb.png.cc72391dfc66abafd7b1392ced63ed37.pngpost-PBR_003.thumb.png.1cd4af3d20a5be3a5845b970b892a5fc.png

Edited by William Gide
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmm, the approx 12 year old refubished windows pc box with a rtx2070 i have seems to run ok on fs7, by ok i mean on quiet sims once rezzed, i can explore, crystal hunt, build etc, doubt it would go well on a busy sim though, but I basically expected that anyway. Only using medium low grafix, so I am not sure if I am seeing pbr textures correctly.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Runs WAY better than the official SL viewer. Absolutely stable and much much higher framerate. Great job, FS team! Tbh, Linden Lab had me really worried with the constant crashes and abominal framerates I experienced with their viewer. The new FS viewer gives me much more hope for our PBR future ahead. (I'm on a 7 year-old computer with Interl 7740X, 1080Ti, 16Gb RAM.)

giphy.gif

Good to know. Still not going near it until I absolutely have to, but I'm speced better than your machine (Intel 10700, 3060, also 1GB RAM) so am now hopeful. Thanks.

And fps increase? I'm already at 30–40 even in crowded sims and stupidly high settings (massive Internet connection) so that's even better news!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, shireena1 said:

hmm, the approx 12 year old refubished windows pc box with a rtx2070 i have seems to run ok on fs7, by ok i mean on quiet sims once rezzed, i can explore, crystal hunt, build etc, doubt it would go well on a busy sim though, but I basically expected that anyway. Only using medium low grafix, so I am not sure if I am seeing pbr textures correctly.

 

Have used a 2070 and 2080 with pretty high settings in PBR alpha and betas, performance was very good.

You can reasonably crank up the settings near max on that hardware, it will be fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...