Anatomy of Trolls and How to Deal with Them

Posted (edited)

I have spent a great deal of time on Welcome Hubs and other places that attract silly people, so I thought it would be a good idea to document the general types of trolls that exist in SL. The traditional "spam a million *****es" people no longer really exist, so it's mainly people who harass and annoy everyone.

1. The Voice Troll: Talks a great deal on Voice and starts fights just to get a reaction. These people mainly hang out on London City and then get instantly banned. They may respond to being ignored by being more rude and annoying, so the best way to get ride of them is to mute them. Alternatively, if you feel amused, you can tp them to any other place with Voice (not a newbie infohub) and watch them get in a fight with others and then get banned. Very easy.

2. The Obvious Troll: This type goes for the most basic shock and are really quite boring. They usually have either disabled or racially-charged avatars and they spam loud noises. These people are really quite boring, so it's best just to mute and report them. They may also spam huge annoying particle effects but this is not as common. In any case, just mute them.

3. The Creep: The Creep IM's new players and makes sexually charged remarks or asks for private information. These are the most difficult trolls to deal with, since new people don't know how report them. They also set up multiple alts, which is hard to deal with. If you see a new account idling for more than a day in one place without moving, it's likely an alt or a bot of some kind.

4. The Gaslighter: The Gaslighter is in it for the long run. They don't do anything broadly offensive but will try to mess without others psychologically over time. One I met stood for hours at an infohub, insisting he was seeing what kind of losers stay on SL. Just don't engage them and you will be fine.

5. The Crazy Person: Actually mentally disturbed person who fixates on one thing and then just spams chat. Just don't engage at all.

Let me know if there's anything I've missed or if you have any experiences with trolls.

Edited by Charlemagne Allen
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Years ago there was a guy who used to hang out at a very popular chat place I spent a lot of time at. He was mostly pretty pleasant, and when he was, I quite liked him. But he clearly had "issues" of some sort, and on occasion he would become quite frenetic and filled local chat with attention-seeking inanities and sometimes offensive comments.

Mostly he was tolerated by the community, largely because we all recognized that, as annoying and occasionally obnoxious as he could be, he was really just trying to find a way to fit in. I suspect too that he was pretty young, and that likely factored in too.

Then one day, when he was in one of his attention-seeking spells, he went off the deep end and dressed his avi up as the most offensively racist caricature of a black man he could manage, and began to spout the worst crap to go along with it.

Needless to say, everyone was repulsed. I tried to talk him down (because I'm stupid) and get him to stop, but clearly someone had (understandably) ARed him, and a Linden suddenly appeared above him. Seconds later he was gone, never to be heard from again.

I suppose he probably fits into your 5th category, although he most often was not like this.

I think that trolls can be . . . complicated.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

I have spent a great deal of time on Welcome Hubs and other places that attract silly people, so I thought it would be a good idea to document the general types of trolls that exist in SL. The traditional "spam a million *****es" people no longer really exist, so it's mainly people who harass and annoy everyone.

1. The Voice Troll: Talks a great deal on Voice and starts fights just to get a reaction. These people mainly hang out on London City and then get instantly banned. They may respond to being ignored by being more rude and annoying, so the best way to get ride of them is to mute them. Alternatively, if you feel amused, you can tp them to any other place with Voice (not a newbie infohub) and watch them get in a fight with others and then get banned. Very easy.

2. The Obvious Troll: This type goes for the most basic shock and are really quite boring. They usually have either disabled or racially-charged avatars and they spam loud noises. These people are really quite boring, so it's best just to mute and report them. They may also spam huge annoying particle effects but this is not as common. In any case, just mute them.

3. The Creep: The Creep IM's new players and makes sexually charged remarks or asks for private information. These are the most difficult trolls to deal with, since new people don't know how report them. They also set up multiple alts, which is hard to deal with. If you see a new account idling for more than a day in one place without moving, it's likely an alt or a bot of some kind.

4. The Gaslighter: The Gaslighter is in it for the long run. They don't do anything broadly offensive but will try to mess without others psychologically over time. One I met stood for hours at an infohub, insisting he was seeing what kind of losers stay on SL. Just don't engage them and you will be fine.

5. The Crazy Person: Actually mentally disturbed person who fixates on one thing and then just spams chat. Just don't engage at all.

Let me know if there's anything I've missed or if you have any experiences with trolls.

Excuse me, but where is the "Sexy Troll" on your list? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I keep voice off and avoid all those busy places that trolls hang out.  Haven't had to deal with one in probably 10 yrs.  

I don't voice, everyone would accuse me of using a voice changer. 

Plus, it is completely unfair to use voice if one's voice is too sexy.  People just can't resist.  The prim-baby paternity suits alone..

ETA: Yes, I used voice with my closest SL family back in the day, but you don't mess with family..

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

Yes, but it's the first thing that new people see.

The New Welcome Hub is not that bad from the time I spent there.  Places like London City, Ahern, Social Island 10 have always been magnets for trolls and why I've always told new people to avoid them.  YMMV

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

Maybe a "Linden Troll" --- someone that hounds a Linden staff person that's in world for immediate help..  Seen it happen --- had a Linden come into my in world club to enjoy the live performer that was playing and saw a few comments chat asking him for help with issues.  After a bit he PMed me saying he was getting PMs too about the same thing and was about to leave. I PMed him back he should be able to enjoy the tunes on his break and I said in chat in the club to let him enjoy the tunes and send their issues via a support ticket. He got to enjoy most of the performer singing without much bother after that.  He PMed me later that he did the back-end server stuff and not the front-end customer support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Maybe a "Linden Troll" --- someone that hounds a Linden staff person that's in world for immediate help..  Seen it happen --- had a Linden come into my in world club to enjoy the live performer that was playing and saw a few comments chat asking him for help with issues.  After a bit he PMed me saying he was getting PMs too about the same thing and was about to leave. I PMed him back he should be able to enjoy the tunes on his break and I said in chat in the club to let him enjoy the tunes and send their issues via a support ticket. He got to enjoy most of the performer singing without much bother after that.  He PMed me later that he did the back-end server stuff and not the front-end customer support.

That’s depressing. Also, good reason to have a personal account.

• Like 2

There are trolls specific to mental health support groups.

Some act like they're some kind of expert, always commenting and giving general advice. They get upset when others ignore them or tell them to let others speak more.

Some purposefully try to upset people and could even go so far as to tell people to off themselves. Moderators have to boot these ASAP.

Some might be mentally unwell, but they dominate the chat and refuse to follow the rules. These might also get booted, depending on how persistent and self-absorbed they are.

Do other groups have specific kinds of trolls as well? I'm imagining the kink and Gorean communities would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Some act like they're some kind of expert, always commenting and giving general advice. They get upset when others ignore them or tell them to let others speak more.

Some purposefully try to upset people and could even go so far as to tell people to off themselves. Moderators have to boot these ASAP.

Some might be mentally unwell, but they dominate the chat and refuse to follow the rules. These might also get booted, depending on how persistent and self-absorbed they are.

Do other groups have specific kinds of trolls as well? I'm imagining the kink and Gorean communities would.

We get the "Mental Health" trolls here on the Forum a lot! And no, I'm not referring to @Luna Bliss.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

These are the types I encountered the most 9_9 Someone was always leaving full bright red and blue prims in the public sandbox, which made this horrible loud alarm noise...🙉 And flooding the sandbox with cubes of Mario and Bill Cosby, and some other guy with a beard?

I remember one day sitting on the roof at a store called Pixeldolls while a group of griefers were orbiting everyone who came in...I could see shoppers whizzing past me into the sky with their legs and arms flapping xD Well...I suppose it was quite annoying, but it was also a bit funny to watch...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

That's interesting. Also super sad.

• Like 1

The kid community griefer troll is a thing. People will specifically target places where child avatars meet like dance classes and schools etc and then do rude or obscene things and record it for streams. Or they'll do politically charged things and feign ignorance. "What do you mean I can't bring my AK47 into a school full of child avatars?!" 

It's all about getting a reaction and is extremely sad and lame. 

And before anyone mentions it, because I'm sure someone will..... yes, people using child avis to grief on adult land is also a thing. It's been mentioned about a million times already and it's as equally as sad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

The kid community griefer troll is a thing. People will specifically target places where child avatars meet like dance classes and schools etc and then do rude or obscene things and record it for streams. Or they'll do politically charged things and feign ignorance. "What do you mean I can't bring my AK47 into a school full of child avatars?!" 

It's all about getting a reaction and is extremely sad and lame. 

And before anyone mentions it, because I'm sure someone will..... yes, people using child avis to grief on adult land is also a thing. It's been mentioned about a million times already and it's as equally as sad. 

Seriously, they all want to be BritBong or DanielInSL, and it's depressing.

• Haha 1

There is perhaps another type of Troll that are funny and make themselves the target of their humour.

I used to have a gallery of art I had bought in SL. One day when I was there moving pictures around a couple arrived dressed in Second world war Nazi costumes. In my conversation with them it became apparent they meant no harm and were actually quite funny and well observed. They talked about their collection of art picked up in Europe and then they spotted the culprit pilot trainer and had a lot of fun with that.

I had been close to banning them on sight because of their appearance, but gave them a chance and had an enjoyable and memorable experience.

• Like 2