You are in a forest in Second Life. Would you rather run into a someone in a man avatar or a bear avatar?

And here I thought posting this question here would set off a thermo nuclear war between furries and humans in the forums. Meanwhile, on the grid, it's probably going to be like this:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

My question is, does said forest have a land covenant?  or is this a wild and lawless Mainland green-space where anything is possible? 

I've watched Deliverance (1972) and I know what men do to men in wild and lawless green spaces.  That said, Jenna Ortega's character in Miller's Girl (2024) informs Miller that she herself is the scariest thing in those woods she walks alone in, every day.

Clearly, thereforely, I am of two minds.

I suppose based on my Hollywood education, as well as my faithful adherence to SL land covenants, from behind my ban lines I'd be safe to give a friendly wave to either.  With my breath held and my trembling finger on the TP button in case either one of them -- or even a third interloper of some unknown origin in this wild and lawless green-space, looked at me funny.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 4:36 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

If the bear is either from the new "C0caine Bear" or "Winnie the Pooh" movies, I may choose the man. 

Because those bears are some scary ursines.

maybe this Winnie the Pooh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2024 at 2:37 AM, AnthonyJoanne said:

There are currently ~8 billion people on the planet. Just for the sake of argument, let's assume that half of them are adult ... so ~4 billion adults. With a roughly 50/50 split that means 2 billion males, 2 billion females.

Given those numbers, it's clear that during any given day there are TRILLIONS of 'interactions' between men and women. An interaction being where an adult male and adult female are aware of each other and take action due to that awareness. So walking down the street, and a man and woman adjust their paths to avoid colliding ... that's a valid interaction.

A man or woman buying something in a shop from someone of the opposite sex is a valid interaction.

A man or woman receiving a service from someone of the opposite sex (for example I had an MRI yesterday and the technicians who did the imaging were of the opposite sex) is a valid interaction.

We're talking about face to face interactions btw ... virtual/phone/etc don't count. So we can leave out the myriad unsupported and unproven claims of email death threats that seem to be all the rage these days.

I put it to you that encountering a bear is significantly more dangerous than encountering a man that you don't know, because statistically an 'interaction' between a bear and a human is MORE likely to result in danger to the human ... as evidenced by the trillions of interactions between men and women which do NOT result in any danger whatsoever.

As for here in SL ... I'd rather encounter a woman because she might be wearing a pair of heels that I think are hot, and then I can go see if they make them for my slink feet.

You do realise it's an UNKNOWN man when ALONE right? Not 'An unknown man in the middle of the high street or a hospital, surrounded by CCTV and other people?

Every single day women make sure to not end up alone with men they don't know and nobody cries about that, in fact men encourage it. If your Mom, Daughter or SO said she was going to get a lift home at 2am as it's better safe than sorry, would you go 'but not ALL men, omg how stupid are you to try to avoid harm?'

Men can and do do a lot worse than Bears, try watching what Prison Justice is and what inmates do to child and woman abusers, not even close to what Bears will do. NOBODY is saying they want to be with a man or a Bear, there is no Bear, it's hypothetical to be used as a talking point to get men to realise how women feel and that we SHOULD want to choose the man.

Instead of listening to women, realising we know about how men behave when alone and are speaking from experience and being angry at the men who make us feel this way, and helping us to change things, men make it all about them and try to demand women stop doing what they have always done, even in day to day life ... take reasonable precautions.

Also, if you do get attacked and survive, Bears won't say you asked for it, or omg how stupid are women to be in a forest. They won't post revenge pics and you'll know they did it for a reason and are wild animals. You'll be able to avoid Bears forever, but not men. I see it as 'worst case scenario, which do you hope to god won't attack you?' ... also, nobody but men has said 'all' men; just the fact it's an unknown man makes it clear it doesn't mean all men.

As for SL ... probably the Bear because it'd be cool to see something like a huge JOMO bear avi but it makes no difference at all as safety isn't a concern

• Like 5

On 5/9/2024 at 1:56 PM, Codex Alpha said:

Not that I believe you are that ignorant of this, but look up the original viral video and topic, and the objective will be clear.

Just another thing, knowingly or not, to cause division between the sexes. If women truly instigated this (most likely a feminist), it's not doing them any favours. It's causing a widening gap between women and men with these kinds of things and it's not healthy for our society - and could have further implications for those men who decide to check out of their normal relationships with women, their protective and guardian-like nature, and their investment in the society as a whole.

It also doesn't belong on these forums, as it is not related to SL and stating '... in SL' is the typical skirting of the rules that some do here - while promoting some political or social agenda.

For those who like to understand this topic, simply look up 'Bear Vs Man In The Woods' and watch the source, and all the discussions about it, then come back and tell me if it's suitable to have it here, or if the original video is helping mankind or not.

A man started this, hence him saying so in the video and protective type men understand why we take steps to stay safe; they actively ENCOURAGE it. They will drive you home or call a cab and not let you walk alone (rather than say it's not all men, just walk it's fine). Men who think normally react as I and most women do when we see the endless attacks on women that aren't designed to get people talking, they know it doesn't pertain to them and carry on their day. If men can't handle the overwhelming truth that most women would fear men more, they should help to do something to change that as the point was that it'd make people go omg what? We have seperate male and female bathrooms, changing rooms and we don't walk alone at 2am, or get into closed in elevators with them, walk through underpasses if unknown men that trigger our gut instinct are around, accept rides from them, it goes on and where're all the men saying 'but not ALL men' .. they know it's what we have to do to stay safe from the some men. Why would we change how we are when in woods?

So far as I know, dangerous men on the streets don't become less of a threat once in woods

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Liaa Nova said:

A man started this, hence him saying so in the video and protective type men understand why we take steps to stay safe; they actively ENCOURAGE it. They will drive you home or call a cab and not let you walk alone (rather than say it's not all men, just walk it's fine). Men who think normally react as I and most women do when we see the endless attacks on women that aren't designed to get people talking, they know it doesn't pertain to them and carry on their day. If men can't handle the overwhelming truth that most women would fear men more, they should help to do something to change that as the point was that it'd make people go omg what? We have seperate male and female bathrooms, changing rooms and we don't walk alone at 2am, or get into closed in elevators with them, walk through underpasses if unknown men that trigger our gut instinct are around, accept rides from them, it goes on and where're all the men saying 'but not ALL men' .. they know it's what we have to do to stay safe from the some men. Why would we change how we are when in woods?

So far as I know, dangerous men on the streets don't become less of a threat once in woods

Cool story.

I only pointed this out because the topic needs to be locked, as it is technically against the forum rules to be posting this drivel - but the OP has skillfully skirted the rules and I don't know why it's allowed to remain in play.
The garbage viral video it relates to is straight up misandry, and this forum isn't the place to be having that debate.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Liaa Nova said:

men who decide to check out of their normal relationships with women, their protective and guardian-like nature

🙄

/me hands you your coat on your way out.

Byeeee!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liaa Nova said:

I put it to you that encountering a bear is significantly more dangerous than encountering a man that you don't know,

I live in the Sierra Nevada. I live with bears. I would much prefer a strange bear in my backyard than a strange man, as I know exactly what the bear is up to and how to deal with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2024 at 3:06 AM, CaerolleClaudel said:

Neither. I groan when I wind up someplace with men in SL, but I would guess any bears would also be men IRL. However, in 17 years of being in SL off and on I am pretty sure I have never seen a bear, but men are almost everywhere.

IRL, if we are talking about in a remote area or even on a less-populated trail in a state park, I would choose a bear, though there are no bears in the Midwest other than the large, hairy gay men. Who I would far rather run across than a straight man or an actual bear.

Of all the disappearances on the Appalachian Trail, I'm sure far more are a result of an interaction with a man than with a bear.

Interestingly, having a gun would solve all of this, but guns are bad doncha know... good people might kill bad people with them.

• Confused 1