Roads in the new stilt on a pier regions are not drivable.

The new Stilt on Pier regions: "Pelican Bank" to "Man Overboard" and "To The Wind" out to the SSP's.

The roads - made in the same style as their piers, but along the coast, are a series of mesh items linked together. At every seam between one mesh item and the next something 'blocks' every brand and make of SL vehicle I have thus far tried.

Some rough images:

Screenshot2024-04-21115941.thumb.jpg.67a463dc20799b8339fdcedf72aaed98.jpgScreenshot2024-04-21120550.thumb.jpg.dab06ccdb66abc841b4bd7cade4d3dce.jpg

Anytime I hit one of those, which seems to be every quarter region or so, the vehicle seems to 'hit a wall'. If you have a vehicle with one of those scripts that causes it to 'jump' a little when you hit both the up and down arrow keys at the same time, you can hop over most of these, so they're not super tall, but they are there.

I've tried multiple brands of vehicles with different 'physics' setups, and it's high enough to hit any ground vehicle I've used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

There's a serious lack of roadside rez zones here too.

You can sort of rez a vehicle at: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Barrel Roll/188/135/23 - and then edit it to drag it out of the water and onto the road. Or you can do the same at the comically absurd number of railroad rez zones up in the hills and drag or ride down to the road.

Even an old car I have that can usually go over anything gets stuck on about half of them:

Screenshot2024-04-21123445.thumb.png.7677bdddec95c8c2971f298fa3183363.png

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

The stilt piers have never been driveable. Supposedly, this is intentional. Of course, it makes no sense. 

Walkways?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Walkways?

Exactly. I have been able to use a hover bike on a pier but that is flying. 

Here I am, ready for a pleasant cruise in my Krazy Kart.

stiltnondriveable_001.thumb.jpg.405e7699e42bb6f6e28a0ec3687544fc.jpg

The end of the line....

stiltnondriveable_002.thumb.jpg.11237ed9bb0d18400306d1905383a9ca.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

wheelie.png.c805c0394c6f3e569494dbd2712d0d77.png

If you do a wheelie...

My own bikes will do a wheelie if Page Up is pressed, which will get over these invisible obstacles.

This is the only time I've ever needed this on a Linden road. Those wooden road parts need mesh repair.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

It's not drivable because it's not a road. It's a board walk. That's also why they don't have rezzing zones on them. 

Abnor, why do you put up with us?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have written, and rewritten this post a few times and am about to give up now.
I know it is the hardest thing for someone who is familiar with a certain concept, to imagine how another person might see the same thing and vice versa.
Sometimes things really do get lost in translation.
These things are called boardwalks. You can't drive on a boardwalk. This probably means that in real life, there are boardwalks, that people do not expect to drive on. This is probably an american thing.
Just because something looks like a road, it isn't necessarily.

Edited by Raspberry Crystal
aaargh
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I can't comment about whether or not it's solely an American thing, but as one myself, I did realize immediately that these were not drivable. 

Still, as someone who has fixed many non-drivable roads elsewhere on the grid (made by others—send your feedback to the creator when you find issues; they should be testing and fixing their own creations), I salute these drivers for their determination. 

Edited by Katarin Kiergarten
comma
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Katarin Kiergarten said:

I can't comment about whether or not it's solely an American thing, but as one myself, I did realize immediately that these were not drivable. 

Still, as someone who has fixed many non-drivable roads elsewhere on the grid (made by others—send your feedback to the creator when you find issues; they should be testing and fixing their own creations), I salute these drivers for their determination. 

If I saw these "in the wild", perhaps I would have hoped they are "drivable" using a bicycle or a "golf cart".

Otherwise, no - boardwalks are not drivable in the US!  (The design should probably be a clue - narrow, made of wood...)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Call it a promenade which is more universal.

I suppose some may think a "boardwalk" and "pier" are the same thing too, while "piers" can be pretty wide and drivable (and also may be part of a boardwalk system).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suppose some may think a "boardwalk" and "pier" are the same thing too, while "piers" can be pretty wide and drivable (and also may be part of a boardwalk system).

They are actually called "Stilt Home on Pier" on the selection page so really it is Abnor calling these boardwalks, which he is allowed to. I sometimes think that there is something of a gap between whoever chooses the names on the selection page and the way the moles & other sl staff think about each design.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

They are actually called "Stilt Home on Pier" on the selection page so really it is Abnor calling these boardwalks, which he is allowed to. I sometimes think that there is something of a gap between whoever chooses the names on the selection page and the way the moles & other sl staff think about each design.

Yeah, the words are kind of squirrelly. 

If you consider that "boardwalk" is a similar name to a "sidewalk"..you don't drive on a "sidewalk" in RL.  They are for.."walking"!

• Like 2

We don't always need roads we can drive on in SL. Each Bellisseria theme offers different features. If one wants to drive a vehicle, the Traditional, Victorian, Log Home, Chalet, Newbrook, Sakura, Ranch and Mediterranean regions have good roads. If one really wants a Stilt Home with roads, there are even a few on Land that connect to the Chalet regions.

I bet most of us don't drive much in SL. If we usually walk, fly, sail or teleport, we might be happy with a Linden Home region that doesn't have drivable roads.

Do horses and bicycles work on the piers/ boardwalks?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

We don't always need roads we can drive on in SL. Each Bellisseria theme offers different features. If one wants to drive a vehicle, the Traditional, Victorian, Log Home, Chalet, Newbrook, Sakura, Ranch and Mediterranean regions have good roads. If one really wants a Stilt Home with roads, there are even a few on Land that connect to the Chalet regions.

I bet most of us don't drive much in SL. If we usually walk, fly, sail or teleport, we might be happy with a Linden Home region that doesn't have drivable roads.

Do horses and bicycles work on the piers/ boardwalks?

I rode my bicycle along the pier today with no problem.  It was my wearable PeeWee Herman bike, though.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

If you're really hungry for someplace to drive...
c17054817b93c56770834ec3cdf2cc00.png

Just gave this "new" section a go - minus some residential debris in the tunnel, really great to see the new road section and no more needing to stop, tp and reset! Thanks for this!! 😁

• Like 2

I don't need to drive on Stilt Piers. There are plenty of roads elsewhere and attachable (e.g. SLegWay) or no-wheels (e.g. D-Lab Air Truck) vehicles do operate on piers.

Here's the thing. In this virtual world, we have grown to expect that surfaces that appear drivable are actually drivable. This is the case for Houseboat docks and Sakura sidewalks. Even the Victorian Community Center sidewalks are drivable.

LDPW has been very good about putting up visual indicators such as steps or bollards to discourage road vehicles, while possibly allowing vehicles such as bicycles and skateboards.

However, the Stilt Piers employ mesh-based transparent blockers located on the 90-degree bends. Years ago when my bike hit one, I thought it had to be a bug.

In places where a pier intersects a road, there are visual indications that road traffic should not enter. But for the new resident, they see no such indicators when they rez a bike in their new parcel and attempt to go for a bike ride.

I would have constructed the piers in a fashion similar to the Houseboat docks. When Linden Lab policy is to allow no vehicles of any type, I would have simply said that on a sign in addition to steps and bollards.

houseboat driveable_001.jpg

sakura driveable_001.jpg

victorian driveable_001.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That's a lovely photo @Evangeline Arcadia !
I guess people like the fun of starting a journey from their own front door.
@diamond Marchant  Bollards, exactly! That is the real world solution to indicating whether a road-like area is driveable or not. It is quite a while since I got my first stilt on pier, and in the rush and lag of the release I really wasn't sure what the problem was. It isn't really an issue, but it seemed unkind for Abnor to assume that people 'ought to know' when it really isn't that obvious, and Pier has a lot of different meanings which don't necessarily correspond to 'boardwalk', at least in UK english.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

That's a lovely photo @Evangeline Arcadia !

I would recommend to anyone that's having vehicle problems to invest in wearable vehicles - I've not had any problems with those on Boardwalks and roads anywhere in Bellisseria. Plus you don't get problems at region crossings or other hiccups where the vehicle gets stuck or booted and you then have to go back to a rezz zone:(

There are some cheap ones on the Marketplace and sometime really nice items will show up in weekly sales. You can get a really good free wearable bike at Java Sprokets too! Perfect for exploring:)

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Puffin Head/45/21/23

JavaSprockets_001.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4