How do you help noobs?

I like to find nice noobs, pass them some free "meme" avs so they don't look totally boring, and do something different, like sailing or flying or blowing up stuff. I find that's better than forcing them to fight with complex things like mesh bodies at first. What do you do with new players?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

I like to find nice noobs, pass them some free "meme" avs so they don't look totally boring, and do something different, like sailing or flying or blowing up stuff. I find that's better than forcing them to fight with complex things like mesh bodies at first. What do you do with new players?

Tease them when they ask if we can do it.

• Like 1

I usually help the New Users looking for help and try my best to help them with what they are wanting help with.

Many want a nice looking avatar at first, So I help them with that and make sure they have a good grasp of how things work.. As well anything else they needing help with..

It's a pretty case by case thing really.  Most end up on my friends list by the time they are ready to fly, in case they have any questions..  Then once contact fades away I'll take them off my list since it's a good sign they are off doing their own thing pretty much for good.

• Like 6

I very seldom meet newbs these days.
That used to be different in the prim period when everybody was attempting to build in the sandboxes.

When one stumbles over my path, I'm always glad to help, if I can.
Rule of thumb, I try to answer their question and keep it at that.
No need to complicate things more than starting in SL already is.

• Like 2

I ask them what they like to do and then take them to do it if I can. If they don't know what they want to do, I'll suggest a few things. I don't recommend going to busy clubs with fully decked out mesh bodies with add-ons and mesh heads. They just feel out of place and never want to come back.  Smaller newbie friendly clubs are okay, teach them how to use the dance animations or ask to join a group dance, pretty regions to explore, help filling out their profiles, a short etiquette lesson on friending, talking in local vs IMing, how to use search and where to find the Destination Guide, how to make and find a landmark, and the most important lesson - patience.

Mostly they seem to just want a friendly person who will talk to them a bit. I have never met a newbie who just said, "Where's teh sex?"

I found a newbie in my Linden home a month or so ago. I welcomed him and told him could use the house as a home base to open boxes and change clothes or invite a friend back (no adult furniture in the house and 10 min auto-return).  Last time I looked, he had a friend there with him, so he must have met at least one person on his journey.  I did warn him that most people would not actually like that he was in their house, but he found the right one.

Hook them on the fun, then fix up the avatar based on their interests.

• Like 3

The last time I tried helping a newbie they decided SL was too hard and they were going to delete their account seconds later they vanished presumably never to be seen again. so i don't think i'm the right person to be helping noobs

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

The last time I tried helping a newbie they decided SL was too hard and they were going to delete their account seconds later they vanished presumably never to be seen again. so i don't think i'm the right person to be helping noobs

It's not you. It's just that people get bored when they don't have anything to do in 30 seconds or SL runs like trash on the their computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I ask them what they like to do and then take them to do it if I can. If they don't know what they want to do, I'll suggest a few things. I don't recommend going to busy clubs with fully decked out mesh bodies with add-ons and mesh heads. They just feel out of place and never want to come back.  Smaller newbie friendly clubs are okay, teach them how to use the dance animations or ask to join a group dance, pretty regions to explore, help filling out their profiles, a short etiquette lesson on friending, talking in local vs IMing, how to use search and where to find the Destination Guide, how to make and find a landmark, and the most important lesson - patience.

Mostly they seem to just want a friendly person who will talk to them a bit. I have never met a newbie who just said, "Where's teh sex?"

I found a newbie in my Linden home a month or so ago. I welcomed him and told him could use the house as a home base to open boxes and change clothes or invite a friend back (no adult furniture in the house and 10 min auto-return).  Last time I looked, he had a friend there with him, so he must have met at least one person on his journey.  I did warn him that most people would not actually like that he was in their house, but he found the right one.

Hook them on the fun, then fix up the avatar based on their interests.

That's awesome.

First I help relieve them of their soul, and then I help them be sacrificed to the Dark Ones. Nodnods.

Nah, it depends on what they need help with. Most often it's helping them finding a mesh body/head to suit their needs and setting up their 'base avi' outfit. Sometimes it's finding places to live. I quite enjoy doing it, so I don't mind if it ends up taking a few hours to get them settled in, besides it usually leads to making friends which is neat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Smaller newbie friendly clubs are okay, teach them how to use the dance animations or ask to join a group dance, pretty regions to explore, help filling out their profiles, a short etiquette lesson on friending, talking in local vs IMing, how to use search and where to find the Destination Guide, how to make and find a landmark, and the most important lesson - patience.

I for sure agree with this. I came back as a not new SL user and found the bigger clubs just didn't give me a positive or full on newbie friendly vibe. I only know of one club which I'd not suggest to furry avis and similar types. I went there when my avi could come off as a furry or anthro! I found 2 clubs but one is technically a sister club where furry types are welcomed alongside Dinkies! Fun times there as a VIP!! :) Be very careful in general with what communities you find and even join in SL too in relation to fur and anthro stuff too. I'd stay far away from certain adult stuff in the fur community. Not against adult sims or adult hangouts, but most of the time I've found they can be used as pickup spots. 

16 hours ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

I help them by not giving them outdated avatars from 2003 that make it blatantly apparent that they're either a noob or someone who's completely out of touch with the concept of quality over quantity.

I remind them to choose items which have tons of clothes made for them , or tons of skins made for them , or tons of customization options.  Nobody wants to buy something that they can't even customize because it doesn't have anything made for it like accessories or texture modifications or clothes.

I tell them like it is . If you want to look " good" you WILL have to spend money . Until you've decided whether it's worth spending money in second life or not , you can experiment with the ugly free stuff . 

Aside from basic technical help.

That's usually what noobs ask me . " how do I look like you?"  And I get so tired of hearing people mislead them into believing they can look like a lelutka, highly customized avatar with freebies . I've seen the people who brag about how they've supposedly achieved that with freebies . Let me tell you, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder quote never rang more true.  And those noobs usually end up frustrated at how difficult it is to even look moderately decent with freebies to the point that they quit .. lol .

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Midnoot said:

I tell them like it is . If you want to look " good" you WILL have to spend money . Until you've decided whether it's worth spending money in second life or not , you can experiment with the ugly free stuff . 

Yup, exactly!! I ended up caving and just got the Erika mesh body the other day! It came with some clothes to wear and mess about with. I found some clothes on MP and even some in world itself. You got to spend money to 'look good' for sure.

• Like 1

I suppose just giving them items that they wanted or asked about - boxes with 483 hairs xD or rave lasers...and helped a couple of newbies to download DJing software and connect to the stream 🎵

I remember one newbie who was obsessed with guns, I gave him an orbit rifle after he asked me a dozen times, but told him "You can get banned for this, so be careful who you use it on!" He said "Oh no, don't worry, I'll be responsible" - then a new account IM'd me a fortnight later and said "Hi, I got banned :( Can you send me the gun again?" 9_9

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

I don't help new people that much nowadays but I used help quite a bit. It usually started with me asking where they first learned about SL and why they decided to join. Then after refusing to get married to them I would take them to the Free Dove. 

• Like 2

omg instead of hitting quote i accidently hit the little “+” sign beside the word quote and it was gonna let me add multiple quotes in one reply. I never knew that 

*hits submit reply and then runs off to find the “what I learned today” thread*

Usually just explore. Warbugs is pretty fun with the noobies if they like flight sim type stuff, pretty easy to get into Warbugs anyway. Bowling is pretty good too... or bumpercars. I have taken some out in the helicopter around the Blake Sea to show them the world map and how regions work etc.

Often noobies want to jump straight into the whole mess of making their avatar which is fine but it's a lot to jump into, some of the basics of how to use inventory etc are best approached first with free items like the Warbugs HQ/TBF free shed full of goodies.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

On 3/21/2024 at 1:02 AM, Midnoot said:

I help them by not giving them outdated avatars from 2003 that make it blatantly apparent that they're either a noob or someone who's completely out of touch with the concept of quality over quantity.

I remind them to choose items which have tons of clothes made for them , or tons of skins made for them , or tons of customization options.  Nobody wants to buy something that they can't even customize because it doesn't have anything made for it like accessories or texture modifications or clothes.

Aside from basic technical help.

That's usually what noobs ask me . " how do I look like you?"  And I get so tired of hearing people mislead them into believing they can look like a lelutka, highly customized avatar with freebies . I've seen the people who brag about how they've supposedly achieved that with freebies . Let me tell you, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder quote never rang more true.  And those noobs usually end up frustrated at how difficult it is to even look moderately decent with freebies to the point that they quit .. lol .

There are dozens of free mesh bodies and stores with cheap clothing, especially if you are female .

On 3/21/2024 at 3:05 PM, Rat Luv said:

I suppose just giving them items that they wanted or asked about - boxes with 483 hairs xD or rave lasers...and helped a couple of newbies to download DJing software and connect to the stream 🎵

I remember one newbie who was obsessed with guns, I gave him an orbit rifle after he asked me a dozen times, but told him "You can get banned for this, so be careful who you use it on!" He said "Oh no, don't worry, I'll be responsible" - then a new account IM'd me a fortnight later and said "Hi, I got banned :( Can you send me the gun again?" 9_9

Classic

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Usually just explore. Warbugs is pretty fun with the noobies if they like flight sim type stuff, pretty easy to get into Warbugs anyway. Bowling is pretty good too... or bumpercars. I have taken some out in the helicopter around the Blake Sea to show them the world map and how regions work etc.

Often noobies want to jump straight into the whole mess of making their avatar which is fine but it's a lot to jump into, some of the basics of how to use inventory etc are best approached first with free items like the Warbugs HQ/TBF free shed full of goodies.

Fun

I also don't meet, respectively get into contact with newbies often these days. If so, trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and chat a bit, and if they have questions, answer or help with landmarks or links to fashion blogs, mesh body ecplainer website, tell them how to search groups and such, but only if they ask. I don't give L$ to people who ask for them (think that often aren't newbies, anyway, or might be kids who have no business being there), but sometimes L$ or gifts to people who don't ask, with "Welcome to SL" message.