L1 Homes

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Maybe LL should give the residents of the old Linden Homes an incentive to leave peacefully? First they would have to close the old homes from being available as new Linden Homes. Then they could offer a free month off the resident's Premium account if they leave by a specific time. After that time, they would just be evicted, with their objects returning to their Lost and Found folder. Give people plenty of warnings in their email and with inworld notices first, of course.

The labor costs involved to change things (planning, redecorating etc), could easily be more expensive for the Lab than just keep the current situation continuing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

The labor costs involved to change things (planning, redecorating etc), could easily be more expensive for the Lab than just keep the current situation continuing.

What redecorating? As far as I know, the plan is to eventually just delete all but a few of those regions as being of "historical interest". They could easy delete all but the most complete continent. With that one, they might want to delete some, but not all of the regions, which would require a little more planning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Each extra Belli region that is needed needs planning and decorating.
I have no clue how many new Belli regions it would take to smoke everybody out of their L1 homes peacefully.

Maybe the Lab is simply waiting until enough empty Belli homes are available for the big move.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

First they would have to close the old homes from being available as new Linden Homes.

Primarily this.  If they truly want to do away with the old stuff, they need to stop offering it as an option -- unless, of course, they need to offer them in order to handle the demand for LL Homes in general.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I have no clue how many new Belli regions it would take to smoke everybody out of their L1 homes peacefully.

Maybe the Lab is simply waiting until enough empty Belli homes are available for the big move.

I think we're already at the point of enough open Belli homes to fit all the L1 accounts. Though obviously not all of them could take a Stilt on Water home, they could all be put somewhere.

I just don't think anything will happen until it's close to no longer profitable to keep those servers around.

The fact that you can still get an L1 home kind of shows they're not actually serious about ending the program. The first thing you'd need to do to get people off the ride is to stop letting them jump on. And you'd probably half have to do that a year or more in advance.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
That spelling stuff is hard. ;)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VenKellie said:

ok back on topic

When will the original homes be discontinued?

The obvious time to stop offering them was when they redid the Land pages; they could easily have omitted some or all of the L1 options without actually changing anything on the backend, but opted not to. So: not any time soon. I think they are hoping that if they wait a couple of years most of the remaining tenants will either default on their subscriptions or swap to an L2, and whatever diehards are left can be consolidated on to a single continent. It's not a fun job and I can see why they're dragging their feet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

The obvious time to stop offering them was when they redid the Land pages; they could easily have omitted some or all of the L1 options without actually changing anything on the backend, but opted not to. So: not any time soon. I think they are hoping that if they wait a couple of years most of the remaining tenants will either default on their subscriptions or swap to an L2, and whatever diehards are left can be consolidated on to a single continent. It's not a fun job and I can see why they're dragging their feet.

Yep.  It makes me wonder how many are owned by people who no longer log on but never cancelled their accounts.  

Edited by Matthieu Quander

4 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Yep.  It makes me wonder how many are owned by people who no longer log on but never cancelled their accounts.  

And if any of those accounts are the 'forever' accounts that paid extra back in the early days to have 4096 tier for life, then LL will be even more reluctant to just kick them out.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And if any of those accounts are the 'forever' accounts that paid extra back in the early days to have 4096 tier for life, then LL will be even more reluctant to just kick them out.

I recall being told once that LL did move some of those people around in years past when they shrank Shermerville down. It's hard to do on regular mainland where every plot is unique. But Shermerville had fairly standard plot layouts so I guess they could toss folks from one spot to another.

If we have a lot of old dead accounts on L1 homes - they could in theory move them to other l1 homes to reduce the number of regions in use. Something that might happen if it saved enough costs. Another thing that could occur is the L1 homes getting put on lower AWS cloud tiers of some kind. I've never been the one paying for the servers on AWS though I have done AWS deployments and such. So I don't know if there are brackets of "cheap virtual servers" and "pricey high resource virtual servers". But if there's a discount 'low access' tier, L1 Homes might end up there someday.

That said, they seem to still be quite popular.

Sometimes you can find more green dots in L1 Homes than in Belli, though this doesn't mean too much given how huge Belli is compared to the L1 regions.

Still, they can't ALL be Tiny Empires bots. Folks are clearly still using that land. And even Tiny Empires bots are still users using SL to do their thing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

That said, they seem to still be quite popular.

Sometimes you can find more green dots in L1 Homes than in Belli, though this doesn't mean too much given how huge Belli is compared to the L1 regions.

Still, they can't ALL be Tiny Empires bots. Folks are clearly still using that land. And even Tiny Empires bots are still users using SL to do their thing.

That's what I have noticed too, and the patterns of green dots seem quite natural too, mostly singles with a significant number of couples mixed in.
There are a fair few empty but occupied homes as well, or empty save for a pose stand and some other essential items.

• Like 1

I think Patch Linden mentioned back in March 2023 that there are 15, 114 first generation Linden homes occupied out of 41, 730. There was mention last year about the hubs being refreshed. 

Today the Bellisseria continent has over 8, 340 regions. It would be good to know how many second generation Linden homes are currently occupied ?.

If the lab did decide to shut them down like in late 2025 or 2026 there needs to plenty of advance notice. The lab would have to come up with a really worthwhile moving package (any ideas?). Yes there would be some level of disruption that will become unavoidable.

Bellisseria continent has passed the 5th year milestone now with thousands of regions and new homes. It's still set to grow further in the weeks, months and years ahead I'm sure. 

I think the lab have almost reached the right balance on available new Linden Homes Vs the old Linden Homes. Having enough supply is important to meet the demand of a possible shut down of the old Linden Home continents. 

It would be nice to hear a update from the lab on which direction it's heading. 

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 2:14 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

Maybe LL should give the residents of the old Linden Homes an incentive to leave peacefully? First they would have to close the old homes from being available as new Linden Homes. Then they could offer a free month off the resident's Premium account if they leave by a specific time. After that time, they would just be evicted, with their objects returning to their Lost and Found folder. Give people plenty of warnings in their email and with inworld notices first, of course.

They should level the homes with no residents, then rezz a bulldozer pointed at the remaining occupied dwellings.

Its for a bypass, you have to have a bypass 😁

51 minutes ago, Daniel Voyager said:

I think Patch Linden mentioned back in March 2023 that there are 15, 114 first generation Linden homes occupied out of 41, 730. There was mention last year about the hubs being refreshed. 

Today the Bellisseria continent has over 8, 340 regions. It would be good to know how many second generation Linden homes are currently occupied ?.

If the lab did decide to shut them down like in late 2025 or 2026 there needs to plenty of advance notice. The lab would have to come up with a really worthwhile moving package (any ideas?). Yes there would be some level of disruption that will become unavoidable.

Bellisseria continent has passed the 5th year milestone now with thousands of regions and new homes. It's still set to grow further in the weeks, months and years ahead I'm sure. 

I think the lab have almost reached the right balance on available new Linden Homes Vs the old Linden Homes. Having enough supply is important to meet the demand of a possible shut down of the old Linden Home continents. 

It would be nice to hear a update from the lab on which direction it's heading. 

I have no idea what the current L1 occupancy is.  I would assume that it is less than what it was this time last year, but it could actually be higher.

At this time, this is what is available in Bellisseria:

2048 - 48

1024 - 9,611

512 - 1776

One thing to keep in mind is that the percentage of L1 residents who only need/want a 512 parcel is unknown.  If it's high, then there will need to be a lot more 512 homes released in Bellisserria to meet demand.  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Matthieu Quander said:

I have no idea what the current L1 occupancy is.  I would assume that it is less than what it was this time last year, but it could actually be higher.

2048 - 48

1024 - 9,611

512 - 1776

One thing to keep in mind is that the percentage of L1 residents who only need/want a 512 parcel is unknown.  If it's high, then there will need to be a lot more 512 homes released in Bellisserria to meet demand.  

Do we know how many L1 homes are occupied? I'm sure LL knows, but I don't think they've released that information publically.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthieu Quander said:

2048 - 48

1024 - 9,611

512 - 1776

Now, how can you claim such specific knowledge? aren't parcel scraping bots banned from belliseria? or have you visited each region individually and counted them up?

3 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

Now, how can you claim such specific knowledge? aren't parcel scraping bots banned from belliseria? or have you visited each region individually and counted them up?

Just go to the Land Page and add them up. Not that hard to do.

Every theme shows how many homes are available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, belindacarson said:

I'm all knowing....or perhaps I just did what @xViXeNx71 suggested.  You can decide which is the truth.  

• Like 2