60 LS event "Inflation of stupidity"

Alestes

Happy Weekend (the event you are talking about ) has been around for years. I can't remember exactly how many . Not as long as Fifty Linden Friday which someone said has been around for 14 years ( I remember when it started!). The Saturday Sale also bumped their pricing up to a max of 100L. 

This is still a considerable savings over the regular prices. Some items are brand new and some are retextures of existing products or just regular products that are reduced. It's a sale like anything else, in the stores and they do provide a discount but also get people into a store and looking around.  Customers are still saving money even if they are paying 30L more.  You can get skins for 69L-90L that would normally be 500L-900L. That 's a huge savings. Or clothes that would normally be 250L or more for that price.

30L isn't a huge increase over 60L.

Also as being an expert in RL commerce that doesn't necessarily translate to SL commerce because things are different. I can buy a fatpack of clothes or shoes or something for a discount and that doesn't exist in the real world.  Shops doing offer all their colors and patterns of a dress or shirt for a discounted amount.  Stores don't have weekly deep discount sales where they offer a new pattern or color of something on a regular basis.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 10:56 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Even at 120L, it's still.possibly 1/2 of the original price since quite a few single items are 250L or more.

I have noticed the change too, a couple of weeks ago. But, I wouldn't make an issue of it, if the items on sale priced 90 Lindens weren't items that have already been in sale during the 60 Lindens, The Saturday Sales or items that are from bygone years. 90/99 Lindens for promos or more recent items during the sales are reasonable, but those that have been in the "sales" loop for a while, old stuffs or even resell of Gatcha's (like I have seen already) should be locked at 60 Lindens.

3 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

90/99 Lindens for promos or more recent items during the sales are reasonable, but those that have been in the "sales" loop for a while, old stuffs or even resell of Gatcha's (like I have seen already) should be locked at 60 Lindens.

Since when do customers decide what the prices are for products?
As a customer one has the choice to take it or leave it. The merchant decides what they have to charge to make it worth their efforts IMHO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

As a customer one has the choice to take it or leave it. The merchant decides what they have to charge to make it worth their efforts IMHO.

That only works if the seller has a monopoly.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

And if a creator charges more than the customers are willing to pay?  Well they have a creation --- but not a product :D. 

And that's fine if you only want to "show your work" (which I did for a time in RL craft fairs LOL).

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, animats said:

That only works if the seller has a monopoly.

I don't know, When one of my products is finished for SL, I set a price on it that I think is appropriate and that's it. I don't know or really care what others ask for similar products.
Almost everything is available in SL from free or nearly free up to IMHO ridiculous high price ranges for a "game". So I go my own way in setting the prices.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

And if a creator charges more than the customers are willing to pay?  Well they have a creation --- but not a product :D. 

And that's fine if you only want to "show your work" (which I did for a time in RL craft fairs LOL).

I bought rigged mesh eyelashes that were quite expensive considering appliers.for the mesh head lashes are fairly cheap.  Some people are outraged at the price.  Considering she includes rigging for each lelutka head so if I change heads I'm still able to wear them, I thought the price was reasonable.  She's also updated regularly when new heads are released.  How much is too much depends on each person's taste.  As I see these lashes being worn by many, the creator does have a product.  Just not a product for everyone.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I bought rigged mesh eyelashes that were quite expensive considering appliers.for the mesh head lashes are fairly cheap.  Some people are outraged at the price.  Considering she includes rigging for each lelutka head so if I change heads I'm still able to wear them, I thought the price was reasonable.  She's also updated regularly when new heads are released.  How much is too much depends on each person's taste.  As I see these lashes being worn by many, the creator does have a product.  Just not a product for everyone.

Not arguing that. My point was that if no one (are two out of a thousand) folks are willing to pay the price you have put on an item then it is really not a viable item.  Creators certainly have the right to put any price they want on an item but if it is higher than most people will pay they won't sell much.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't know, When one of my products is finished for SL, I set a price on it that I think is appropriate and that's it. I don't know or really care what others ask for similar products.
Almost everything is available in SL from free or nearly free up to IMHO ridiculous high price ranges for a "game". So I go my own way in setting the prices.

Sellers can set an asking price. A price is only real if people pay it. Basic economics.

This can be seen on eBay for many collectables. High asking prices, but actual sales happen at far lower prices. Beanie Babies are a good example. "US$5000 - no bids" is a seller fantasy. Reality looks more like "Beanie babies lot of 10, $15.00 or Best Offer".

• Like 2

The seller has a right to price their items how they wish. The customer has a right to buy them or not. Where is the confusion here? The customer can try to haggle for a lower price or a better price if they buy in bulk, but complaining publically that $1 is too much to pay, for instance, for a virtual item that took the creator some time and money to create and market, is actually pretty self-entitled and rude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm personally more bothered of having to scroll through all those endless repeats whenever I check weekend sales sometimes, than a little increase in price. There's a number of stores on those lists/events that seem to cycle same few items for years at this point. I can't really imagine they even make the entry fee back at this point (and if you check their locations they are always empty or nearly empty), but being friends with event owners helps in some of those cases.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The seller has a right to price their items how they wish. The customer has a right to buy them or not. Where is the confusion here? The customer can try to haggle for a lower price or a better price if they buy in bulk, but complaining publically that $1 is too much to pay, for instance, for a virtual item that took the creator some time and money to create and market, is actually pretty self-entitled and rude.

The seller can still set their price, but if they intend to the same items year in and out as mentioned above, I don't think they should be allowed to ask the full promo/sale price by the organizers of the event. It's damaging the reputation of that event, actracting less and less interest into the event. In all these weekend sales during the weekend, who is setting the price? The organizer of the event or the seller?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

The seller can still set their price, but if they intend to the same items year in and out as mentioned above, I don't think they should be allowed to ask the full promo/sale price by the organizers of the event. It's damaging the reputation of that event, actracting less and less interest into the event. In all these weekend sales during the weekend, who is setting the price? The organizer of the event or the seller?

If an event has a price range, the seller has to stay inside that range. But the seller decides if his product is at the bottom end or the top end of that range.

The organization of an event decides whether or not a seller can participate or if it is open for everybody who is interested (and pays up).

There are events that have no price range, but expect sellers to give at least a ....% discount on the normal price. Some organizations expect new merchandise, some are only interested in the payment of the booth rental by the seller.

So it all varies from sale to sale.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

I can see the issue with the fact a lot of sellers will sell individual pieces of their things.. This can get as pricey as buying a fatpack in some shops with similar style. I could spend upwards of 1000-5000 Linden a week at the sales depending if I liked what was shown but a lot of the images didn't say "per piece" either.. it made you assume you were getting a complete set for 60 (and 60-90). There are many places I wont mind paying 90L for though because it is still a deal in getting an item for less than 300+

On 2/28/2024 at 5:26 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Not arguing that. My point was that if no one (are two out of a thousand) folks are willing to pay the price you have put on an item then it is really not a viable item.  Creators certainly have the right to put any price they want on an item but if it is higher than most people will pay they won't sell much.  

My stuff is on the expensive end, as it has a lot of animations. But I still make more selling my niche expensive stuff than I do from putting more mainstream things for sale for 75L on the weekend. You have to sell a LOT of things for 75L for it to add up to any real amount of money, especially when the events have entry fees.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Wait, what? How? 

Years ago, in order to understand what builders are dealing with and what are their needs, I've role played furniture creator for couple of months with my alt. As unable modeling in 3d programs, I used to buy models/textures and even my own animations on sales. 1000L$ is nothing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Wait, what? How? 

I guess you are joking or being sarcastic,  since you are a full perm animation seller for builders, you know how things work, right?  ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I guess you are joking or being sarcastic,  since you are a full perm animation seller for builders, you know how things work, right?  ;)

Not really, Sid. You cannot really know until you try it. I was stunned by the amount of work I had to do, and I learned I had no idea what builders are facing, especially when it comes to animations! So, I've created engines not just as fat packs, but to reduce the amount of work and time builders need for creation. Trust me, I was clueless until that little experiment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

Years ago, in order to understand what builders are dealing with and what are their needs, I've role played furniture creator for couple of months with my alt. As unable modeling in 3d programs, I used to buy models/textures and even my own animations on sales. 1000L$ is nothing.

Thank you for explaining. I was seeing it from the point of a creator who creates their own stuff without using full perm parts from others. I can see how the latter can get very expensive. That said though, those who do create their own animations, textures, 3D models etc do not pay 1000L+ per item. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I was seeing it from my point of view as a creator. I pay 10L to upload a new animation and 10L for the texture for it to be shown inworld. That is 20L per product and a far cry from 1000L+ per product.

Edit: Those who do original work and do not rely on creator tools such as animations, 3d models and textures pay a lot less per product to get in world.

Edited by So Whimsy
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

I pay 10L to upload a new animation and 10L for the texture for it to be shown inworld.

I am testing like a maniac, If I had to do that on the main grid, I would spend a thousands on tests only. Thank LL for the Beta grid.🫠

Edited by RohanaRaven Zerbino
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, So Whimsy said:

Thank you for explaining. I was seeing it from the point of a creator who creates their own stuff without using full perm parts from others. I can see how the latter can get very expensive. That said though, those who do create their own animations, textures, 3D models etc do not pay 1000L+ per item. 

Most furniture makers in SL use full perm animations. There are only a handful who create their own. It is very pricey to invest in these, especially if you are making adult content that contains hundreds of animations. The price you can expect to pay for a single adult couple animation is between 900 and 2000L. So making a sex bed for most creators would require an investment of hundreds of thousands of lindens. Hard to recoup that when customers increasingly expect to be able to pick everything up for 75L in sales.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, So Whimsy said:

That said though, those who do create their own animations, textures, 3D models etc do not pay 1000L+ per item. 

But they still use their valuable skills, and invest their time into creating the items. They might not be spending L$ on full perm components for their creations, but the time they are using to create the content from scratch is time that they could otherwise use to work for others, and get paid (a lot) for it. So that should be taken into consideration as well. A skilled creator's time is valuable and the costs of developing a product from scratch go way beyond just the 10 L$ upload. They deserve to be paid for their efforts, especially those who make full perm animations, meshes, textures, scripts, etc. They're a crucial part of the SL economy, and provide all other creators with the necessary items for their businesses.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

But they still use their valuable skills, and invest their time into creating the items. They might not be spending L$ on full perm components for their creations, but the time they are using to create the content from scratch is time that they could otherwise use to work for others, and get paid (a lot) for it. So that should be taken into consideration as well. A skilled creator's time is valuable and the costs of developing a product from scratch go way beyond just the 10 L$ upload. They deserve to be paid for their efforts, especially those who make full perm animations, meshes, textures, scripts, etc. They're a crucial part of the SL economy, and provide all other creators with the necessary items for their businesses.

I do agree but selling a product for 60L in an event gives exposure, especially if its an event featured on seraphim. You can either directly pay money to advertise your brand or you can indirectly pay by joining these events. 

Let's not forget they are two way streets. Costumers get a bargain and you get exposure.

Edit: Also this is about the topic at hand, creators who don't sell full perm, selling their wares at events. Never said full perm creators shouldn't be paid well. I am one of them so I'd be biting my own behind to say anything else.

Edited by So Whimsy
  • Like 1